Inverter Question - Solitude 380 FL-R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter Question - Solitude 380 FL-R

Good morning all. I am a fairly new owner of a Solitude 380 FL-R. Picked it up April 14. We are full timing and staying in an RV park near work. Will retire soon and then travel we hope. Took our first longer trip last week. A 6 to 7 hour trip each way. I noticed that the residential refrigerator had not been working on our trip down to the coast. The Solitude has factory solar package and a magnum inverter that I believe is located in the front compartment with the generator. I had the understanding that the inverter would run the refrigerator while we traveled. I read up some and people were talking about a switch for the invertor that has to be on for it to service the 5th wheel while not on shore power or generator. I located a switch in the first compartment on the door side. Tried to make sure the switch was on but still no power to refrigerator when not on shore power or generator. Made the trip back with the refrigerator not working again. Picture of switch in first compartment below. What am I missing?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Inverter Switch.jpg
Views:	2569
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	56388

Originally posted by rg4bs View Post
    Good morning all. I am a fairly new owner of a Solitude 380 FL-R. Picked it up April 14. We are full timing and staying in an RV park near work. Will retire soon and then travel we hope. Took our first longer trip last week. A 6 to 7 hour trip each way. I noticed that the residential refrigerator had not been working on our trip down to the coast. The Solitude has factory solar package and a magnum inverter that I believe is located in the front compartment with the generator. I had the understanding that the inverter would run the refrigerator while we traveled. I read up some and people were talking about a switch for the invertor that has to be on for it to service the 5th wheel while not on shore power or generator. I located a switch in the first compartment on the door side. Tried to make sure the switch was on but still no power to refrigerator when not on shore power or generator. Made the trip back with the refrigerator not working again. Picture of switch in first compartment below. What am I missing?
    In my 310GK w/solar I have a battery disconnect switch like that one close to my inverter in the front bay on the ceiling. One other thing to check is that the GFCI outlet on the inverter has not popped.
    Pat and Karen
    2021 Solitude 310GK, Full Body Paint, Dual Pane Windows, Heat Pump, Slide Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes, Splendide W/D Stacked Pair

Comment

Not the same model, but in our 2020 Solitude S2930 - R, the inverter switch is above the counter where we place our coffee maker, below the glass front upper cabinet. It's a push button that has a green pilot light. I believe you only want it on when you don't have 110 volt source. It works great for us, when we travel for many hours, refrigerator is at proper temperature when we reach our destination.
      2020 Solitude 2930RL S-Class

Comment

On our 310GK-R, the inverter would stop working during trips. The startup current on the refer is two to three times the stable running current. I checked the specs for both the cable (and length) and the inverter power. Perhaps my original inverter was not wired correctly, but I replaced the battery cables, installed a 4K Giandel inverter in the front compartment (check Amazon), ran the start switch cable from the cabinet to the inverter, and extended the 120V power line to the inverter. In my view, the cable from the battery to the original converter was undersized and too long and 1K was too weak to handle the power surge when the Samsung compressor started. The current system is probably overkill, but it works fine. The manual shows the refer with a six amp usage, which by my math is about 700 watts. Our EE friends are welcome to amend my comments. My reading suggests an inverter with three to five times the steady state usage to cover the startup spike.

Our EE friends can probably provide a much better explanation.

Crespro
        2021 Solitude 310 GK-R. 2020 F-250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Comment

Originally posted by Crespro View Post
          ...Perhaps my original inverter was not wired correctly
          That could be. The 1,000w inverter in our 2019 Solitude 373FB-R worked fine with the Samsung fridge even on loooooong road trips.
          Brian & Kellie
          2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
          2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
          2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
          2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

rg4bs Check that switch in your basement area. It is a momentary switch. If the light is green, your inverter is on. Amber, and your battery is low. Red, and the inverter is blocked by low voltage. So, if you have a green light, and no fridge, there is a problem elsewhere. Maybe tripped GFI? If you do not get any light, check above (way above) your battery compartment on the ceiling and you will find another red key disconnect just like the one next to the switch in the basement. Make sure key is inserted and won't come out. We don't "turn the inverter on and off"; it has a bypass switch when you hook to shorepower. It is automatic.
            Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
            2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
            2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
            2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
            Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

On our 390RK-R, the remote control inverter switch in in the cabinet directly below the cabinet with the electrical control panel, not in the same cabinet. The LED should be green and we leave ours on, and ours does not have the second master switch for the inverter. We haven't turned ours off in 18 plus months. (gee, has it been that long??)
              Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
              Nash County, NC
              2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Has anyone moved their inverter that is located in the outside front storage compartment?

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmith132 View Post
                  Has anyone moved their inverter that is located in the outside front storage compartment?
                  Not to my knowledge (at least not documented on the forum). Out of curiosity, why do you want to move it? Moving the 120vAC won't be too much of an issue, but if the 12vDC inputs require a longer run that could be detrimental.

Please take a moment and read the Welcome Letter and get your signature line setup if you'd like to learn how to get the most from your time here on GD's (Technical) Owners' Forum.

Howard
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

We were struggling with our solar, too (2022 Solitude 345 GK), and finally got the dealer to send someone to us (we just retired, and are full-timing).

Nice guy. He said, "Whoops, looks like we didn't perform any of the dealer PDI items, including connecting your solar." He spent the entire day doing what they should have done before delivery, including the solar, fixing defective cabinets, and Grand Design even used the wrong screws in the shower (they all started rusting within days of our first showers). He replaced those with stainless steel screws.

He took care of most of it, and spent a lot of time in & under the front bay, and finally said, "Let's give this a try."

But it wasn't until after he left that we realized we don't know where the inverter is located, or how to make use of it.

Reading this thread, we're not sure where to look for our switch, or how to make use of it when the power goes out?

Does anyone know where that "switch" is on a 2022 Solitude 345 GK?
                    Last edited by CaliforniaSolitude; 09-04-2022, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaSolitude View Post
                      Does anyone know where that "switch" is on a 2022 Solitude 345 GK?
                      Look inside and up at the ceiling of the front storage compartment--is there a WFCO inverter mounted there? A new ST391DL-R Solitude I toured at the National Rally had it's inverter switch mounted in the basement, left side wall. It looked like item posted below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WFCO inverter.JPG
Views:	1312
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	94454
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Hello, we are just starting to use our grand design solitude 380Fl-R and we are not understanding our inverter push button on/off switch. It has a green light to indicate it is on. When our camper is sitting we want to turn off the inverter but can’t when we push in the button. Is there a trick to shutting this off. We don’t want it to pull our battery power. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Lenbren8718 View Post
                          Hello, we are just starting to use our grand design solitude 380Fl-R and we are not understanding our inverter push button on/off switch. It has a green light to indicate it is on. When our camper is sitting we want to turn off the inverter but can’t when we push in the button. Is there a trick to shutting this off. We don’t want it to pull our battery power. Thank you!
                          There are so many combinations of inverters and controls we'll need a picture of the control and inverter you're attempting to manipulate.

Comment

Working...
                          X