Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IMPORTANT!! 2021 303RLS Refrigerator Wiring Caused FIRE!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMPORTANT!! 2021 303RLS Refrigerator Wiring Caused FIRE!!!

Afternoon all,
    My wife read a GD 303 Owners thread on" Grand Design Reflection Owners Facebook" page this morning re: 2021 303RLS that caught fire due to improper wiring behind the refrigerator.
    Post was made yesterday. I'm unable to share the FB post here (or I just don't know how) so I'm attaching screenshots of the original post & pictures below.
    1. Original FB post
    2. Fridge removed after fire
    3. Picture behind fridge of wires from another owner

PROBLEM: Outlet wiring that runs behind the fridge is not routed correctly or protected properly for heat generated at fridge "stove pipe". Chaffing of wire on the pipe led to direct short when the wire contacted the metal on back of the fridge, thus starting the fire.

FB Post says GD, Fire Dept, Insurance company confirmed the cause. Luckily the owners acted quickly & no injuries!!
    FB Post also stated (I do NOT know this to be accurate) that GD is aware of this issue but has not issued a recall or safety notice to owners and that the production line wiring routing has corrected the issue.

I just checked ours & we have the same issue on our 2021 303 RLS (our trailer was built Oct 2020).

Our wire is chafing on the "stove pipe" & its discolored from heat. It's hard to see but accessing the top fridge vent using a mirror & flashlight, I was able to clearly see the affected wire. What a shame that GD is constructing units liken this when the preventive action is ridiculously simple! There is plenty of space to move wires a safe distance away & secure to the wall & easy to put a heat shield on the affected wires.

This is a very serious safety issue so I wanted to post this immediately.

Calling GD now to determine plan to have ours repaired properly...scary stuff. Recommend affected owners inspect your units & call GD.
    Looks like the fridge must be removed about half way to access the wires, inspect for damage.

I will update the post as we go. Others, please do the same.
    Thanks
    Matt

Attached Files
    Sadie & Matt
    (w/ 2d Mate Toby the traveling tabby)
    2021 303 RLS
    2020 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 w/6.7L Cummins
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

I saw scortch mark on wires that were touching frig pipes.
    Probably takes just wrong combination of chafing and heat to cause fire.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Wires Touching Heat Tube.JPG
Views:	1839
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	57023
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Wires with Scorch Marks.jpg
Views:	1890
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	57024
    Gene and Kim
    2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
    2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Update #1
      Spoke to GD; they asked for pictures of wiring on our unit and confirmed there are no active recalls or service bulletins/alerts for this issue. He wouldn't answer when I asked if this is a known problem.

Attached are pics of our unit taken today and 1 pic my wife took 3 months ago with fridge removed when we had a warranty repair on (2) 12v fans that went bad. This shows the routing of the wires in question and sadly the amount of space available to route the wires properly to avoid chaffing and/or heating of the wires. Seems like a great place for some heat shield!

Was told I'm not allowed to remove the fridge without "voiding" the warranty...waiting for answer to our request for a Mobile RV tech to come to our campsite for repair.
      Attached Files
      Sadie & Matt
      (w/ 2d Mate Toby the traveling tabby)
      2021 303 RLS
      2020 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 w/6.7L Cummins
      Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Comment

Thanks for the heads up S&M (interesting screen name..lol) I will be checking that wire.
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

I am curious as to why the circuit breaker did not trip. Or do we need to install arc/fault ones to prevent this. Can arc/fault breakers even be installed in our trailers. Just curious.
          Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
            I am curious as to why the circuit breaker did not trip. Or do we need to install arc/fault ones to prevent this. Can arc/fault breakers even be installed in our trailers. Just curious.
            Keith
            All good questions. But hard to answer without the actual investigation notes.Regular cct breakers are not easy to trip though. It could arc repeatedly without tripping a regular breaker. Regular breakers really need a sustained high current to trip. Unlike a fuse.
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

I saw plenty of electrical fires that never tripped the breaker, even had a breaker fry in my house once, scorched it enough to melt but it never tripped.
              2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I have a 2021 303rls built in Feb this year, so when looking is the 120vac wire touching the hot pipe on fridge? or is it the stove exhaust? Ill look today and see what I have, thanks
                2021 Reflection 303RLS
                2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
                Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Just took lower panel off my fridge plugs in to outlite behind lower fridge panel, I do see some wires running between fridge and the hot round canaster, there not touching but close there is a air gap if Im looking at the right thing
                  2021 Reflection 303RLS
                  Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Im not seeing all the white wires like in the pic, are they behind the top removal cover?
                    2021 Reflection 303RLS
                    Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Dennis66

From the pictures posted by Matt (post3) the wiring in question is in the outboard rear corner of the fridge space. His first picture is looking down from the top opening, The second is looking up from the lower opening (but is somewhat confused by the flashlight in the centre of the space). The third picture is this aft rear corner with the fridge removed. The hottest part of the fridge system is also in this corner. By looking from below and above as shown in Matt's pictures, you should be able to see if there is any wiring touching or close to the "chimney" of the fridge. There could also be a propane line in this area going to the stove.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I looked down from the top and see NO wires on either side maybe Ill look again, I see in the lower right a insulated round piece that the wires come up through with a connector from the the wires {several} feed behind the heat tubes some may be propane, Im not seeing and against the tubes but they are close. Ill get a pic and attach
                        2021 Reflection 303RLS
                        Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Looked through the top only wires that are there come up the center in a wire loom, One red to the top and two sets feeding the 2 fans. I see no wires on the sides at all, I pulled the board back and looked down as far as I could but did not see anything of concern. Stlll waiting on pic to get to my mail were out camping
                          2021 Reflection 303RLS
                          Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

His third pic must be the wiring leading to the receptacle by fridge? My fridge wiring comes off the back left and plugs in to the receptacle.
                            2021 Reflection 303RLS
                            Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Here is a pic by connectors I looked all around not touching but sure could be a better set of insulators protecting all the wires
                              Attached Files
                              2021 Reflection 303RLS
                              Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Working...
                              X