Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IMPORTANT!! 2021 303RLS Refrigerator Wiring Caused FIRE!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MyWifeMadeMeBuyIT

Interesting Forum Name Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

To your specific question . . . this discussion does pertain only to RVs with a fridge that can operate on either electricity or propane. Electric-only fridges have a compressor based cooling system and do not have this heated "chimney" on the back.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Ok so I have a 2021 303rls what is the quickest way to see if its touching, Im getting ready to camp a week back a week then gone for 4 weeks. Is this on all 303rls campers? The earlier models are built the same.
      2021 Reflection 303RLS
      2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
      Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Dennis66
        Hi Dennis,

You might be able to view the area of concern through the upper and lower outside access panels. Another idea suggested earlier in this thread is to pull out the outlet in the wall between the stove area and the fridge which may be the wire at risk. The only way to know for sure is to pull the fridge.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Dennis66
          Like you I have a 2021 303RLS
          In order to get a good look at the area, I used a utility knife and cut open the 1/8" plywood baffle that is blocking most of the upper access panel opening (to force cooling air over the fins).
          Then I could look down to the area you will be interested in.
          In my case the receptacle by the right side of the stove area would not gain me access to the affected wire - not enough slack. They are all wired a bit different. Also with mine, the sealant used to seal the receptacle prevented the 'swing wings' on the receptacle from operating as designed. So if yours is the same as mine with the sealant, you could get yourself into a jackpot trying to remove the receptacle.
          There is a side benefit to cutting open the panel. You will now also have access to the fridge cooling fans should they fail. But make sure you put this panel back in place. It is important for proper fridge cooling. I ended up using a small piano hinge on the left side so I can swing it open any time I want.
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            MyWifeMadeMeBuyIT

Interesting Forum Name Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

To your specific question . . . this discussion does pertain only to RVs with a fridge that can operate on either electricity or propane. Electric-only fridges have a compressor based cooling system and do not have this heated "chimney" on the back.

Rob
            Thank you very much for the confirmation.
            2021 Grand Design Transcend xplor 261BH TT

Comment

We just happened to be at the Southern Oregon GD rally when this was brought to our attention on this forum so we had the lead tech take a look. It is apparent that GD is aware of the issue but my impression was they feel it is a very limited issue. He opened the bottom panel and used his phone in camera mode to look up the right side of the back of the refrigerator (orientation being as you are outside the rig and looking at the back of the refrigerator, the right side) and said no issue in ours. JD was a wealth of information as are other owners. This was our first rally and now we are on several lists to attend more. If someone isn’t aware of these events, look on the calendar of events and by all means ATTEND! It was a BLAST! Sign up early as most rallies sell out very quickly. If you don’t get a ticket…don’t despair because there are wait lists and as long as your plans are flexible you May very well get in. We did. We signed up about 3 weeks prior to the event on the waitlist and got a call the day before the rally started that we could now attend. We got the last cancellation spot.

Let me be very clear here…the issue is very serious and when I brought the question up at the opening of the rally it was clear to me that they weren’t being dismissive of the fact at least one rig caught fire and another had the ingredients to (as illustrated in this whole thread). But watching their demeanor it seemed to me that they felt it was a limited issue. He came over the next day or so and inspected it. It took him just a couple of minutes to look and clear it. We feel much better now that we know.
              Alan and Julie Hartford
              2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 303RLS
              2015 F-350 SW Crew Cab 4x4 King Ranch

Comment

With this going on will GD send out a recall to check all these rigs? I must believe only a small percent of people with a 303 are on this forum.
                So is it mainly the propane hot pipe to fridge causing this?
                2021 Reflection 303RLS
                2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
                Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

FWIW - managed to check our wiring yesterday. No issues found - and not near as much slack in the AC wiring as in some other posts. Just for additional peace of mind I did add a zip tie in there just to keep the white AC cable from "flopping around" near the vent. I doubt it would have made contact, but now it won't for sure.

Even though no issue found - just want to say thanks to to the OP for posting this! Better to inspect and find nothing than not know of a potential concern.

Ken
                  Ken & Sandra
                  2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis66 View Post
                    So is it mainly the propane hot pipe to fridge causing this?
                    IMO, the cause is the pre-wiring of the cubicle the fridge goes into. Somebody on the line is given the job of running the ac wiring to the stove counter receptacle and running the wiring across and over to where the fridge receptacle needs to be. Generally when wiring receptacles, leaving slack for future receptacle replacement is a good thing. In this particular case, letting that slack extend too far into the fridge cubicle is a bad thing. Because when the fridge installer comes next he/she just slides the fridge into place and that critical area is no longer readily visible.
                    I think GD just needs to inform the people wiring that it needs to be kept relatively tight to the walls.
                    Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by KSC_Travels View Post
                      FWIW - managed to check our wiring yesterday. No issues found - and not near as much slack in the AC wiring as in some other posts. Just for additional peace of mind I did add a zip tie in there just to keep the white AC cable from "flopping around" near the vent. I doubt it would have made contact, but now it won't for sure.

Even though no issue found - just want to say thanks to to the OP for posting this! Better to inspect and find nothing than not know of a potential concern.

Ken
                      Great to hear all is well and safe with your rig and glad our post helped out with your inspection.
                      Happy camping!!!
                      Sadie & Matt
                      (w/ 2d Mate Toby the traveling tabby)
                      2021 303 RLS
                      2020 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 w/6.7L Cummins
                      Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Comment

I haven’t had the opportunity to check out mine yet. Probably will be this weekend. It appears that this risk only occurs when the fridge is run on propane. Is that correct? We have only run ours on gas a couple of times, so if we do not use gas in the future, will that eliminate the issue? Since the issue seems to be with the hot chimney and a wire that is too close to it, it would appear that not using gas would circumvent the problem?
                        Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
                        Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
                        2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
                        Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
                        Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Mine was against the circulation piping. Which will get just as hot, more or less, on ac or propane.

Comment

Thank you folks very much….we are looking at a reflection 303rls. As I posted here looking food fees back.
                            This will be one of the priority items for the dealer…..to inspect confirm and or repair before we talk $.
                            I am surprised that GrandDesigned, although they acknowledged the issue, should have been more proactive to start an inspection process given the seriousness of the issue.

would appreciate it if there are any items/problem related significant issues to the 303rls.

many thanks

coopa
                            Cooper
                            2021 303RLS
                            2012 Ram 3500 Cummins SRW Short Box

Comment

06-11-2021, 03:28 PM

From the pictures posted by Matt (post3) the wiring in question is in the outboard rear corner of the fridge space. His first picture is looking down from the top opening, The second is looking up from the lower opening (but is somewhat confused by the flashlight in the centre of the space). The third picture is this aft rear corner with the fridge removed. The hottest part of the fridge system is also in this corner. By looking from below and above as shown in Matt's pictures, you should be able to see if there is any wiring touching or close to the "chimney" of the fridge. There could also be a propane line in this area going to the stove.

Rob

We have a Dometic 1350 in our 303. The top baffle is right up against the bottom of the cooling fins, so I can’t get a good look down, even with a mirror. Looking up, from the bottom, I can’t see much, other than the outlet that the fridge is plugged in to and where the 110-volt wire goes up. It appears to stay close to the wall.

Looking at the manual, it also appears that, on this specific fridge, the heating unit and chimney are on the opposite side, at the rear of the fridge. I think that, with the separation between the 110-volt line and the chimney area, this specific unit should not have the problem.

Please advise if anyone else sees this differently.

Thanks
                              Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
                              Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
                              2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
                              Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
                              Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Tom in PGH Tom, what they are saying is the feed line to the receptacle for the refrigerator goes through the floor, turns and runs under the floor, then comes back up on the opposing side somewhere between the outside wall and the face of the refrigerator, then up to the receptacle on the wall next to the stove. Some but not all of the installations had a bit excess wiring that would get pulled back as they slid in the refrigerator letting it make contact with the chimney where it melts and shorts out.
                                Joseph
                                Tow
                                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                                X