Camco 55617 90 degree adapter won't twist lok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camco 55617 90 degree adapter won't twist lok

I purchased a Camco 55617 90 degree twist-lok adapter for our shore power connection. I am sure most of you are familiar with this 18" dogbone adapter that basically takes the stress off of your power cable by hanging straight down from the side of your trailer so that your cable plugged into it does not have to withstand the weight of bending down over the years. When the adapter arrived I found that the 90 degree end would not twist-lok when mating with trailer connector. It would bottom out normally, but would not twist. I thought it was a manufacturing issue, so I sent it back and ordered one from another supplier. I received it today and it is doing the same thing. My power cord twist-loks just fine into the other end of the dogbone. There are directions embossed right into the 90 degree end of the adapter telling you which way to turn for locking or unlocking, so I know that is what is intended. There is a threaded weatherproof ring that will hold it into the trailer connector but I would rather have the twist-lok function working as well to make sure there are no poor continuity issues creating a heat build up within the connector.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with the Camco adapter?

Kind regards,
    Guy and Ginger Lauziere
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Ford F-150 4WD/Crew Cab 3.5L Ecoboost
    Equal-i-zer 4 point 1,000/10,000lb

Originally posted by Imagine_Nation View Post
    Has anyone else experienced this problem with the Camco adapter?
    Not the same model, but I didn't have much success with a 90 degree adapter either: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...h-of-a-problem

I went with the Smart Plug adapter and it's been great. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...n-on-a-315rlts

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks Howard:

Appreciate the feedback. Strange issue. These are standard NEMA L9-30 connectors that should work properly. Oh well ...

Thanks again.

Kind regards,
      Guy and Ginger Lauziere
      2021 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

Hello Howard:

Well I've got it fixed. I went over to my neighbor's house who has a travel trailer with a 30A service. I tried the Camco adapter on his and it went right on and twist locked correctly. That told me that there is apparently something unique about the Furion connector on the back of my 2600RB. I compared the Furion female connector against the new Camco female end with the 90 degree configuration. The Furion was about 3/32" longer which means that it inserts deeper into the trailer receptacle (Furion) than the Camco connector. I lightly filed the outer ring of the Furion trailer receptacle until it was about 1/16" shorter in depth. I tried the Camco unit again and it bottomed out and twist locked like normal. The original Furion cord still works perfectly as well. Phewwwwwwww!!

Thanks again!
        Guy and Ginger Lauziere
        2021 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

One would think that the NEMA standard would apply to the plug. Guess Furrion missed the tolerances on that one. Glad you got it fixed.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
          X