Parasitic Drain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parasitic Drain?

See the attached image. This month we went on a non-camping vacation and the camper sat for a few weeks. I had the master battery switch off, but per recommendations from AMSolar and others I do have my temperature monitor (for shunt) directly to a battery terminal. This supposedly uses 8 AH per YEAR.

My wiring is pretty straightforward. The only thing other than the temp sensor in front of the master battery switch is a fuse. I am at a loss as to how my battery SOC could drop so much. Is this a configuration issue? A setting I need to change for proper reporting?

The downward sloping line is while it is off....note zero consumption and zero production.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-06-21 16_47_28-Imagine 2400BH - VRM Portal.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	58188
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Many owners have reported that a basic system with no solar will kill a single 12V lead/acid battery in a week with the "Battery Switch" in the off position. I have not seen a measurement of this in AH but the parasitic draw of clocks, sensors, device memories, etc that bypass the main switch is obviously significant.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      Many owners have reported that a basic system with no solar will kill a single 12V lead/acid battery in a week with the "Battery Switch" in the off position. I have not seen a measurement of this in AH but the parasitic draw of clocks, sensors, device memories, etc that bypass the main switch is obviously significant.

Rob
      That's just it though....I moved the batteries and the wiring is easy to trace (it's mine...I put it in)....there is nothing else in front of the master battery switch. After the master battery switch, I go over to the OEM switch so that I have an additional switch and can power on or off the camper based on that switch).

For example....I left everything on, Cerbo GX, MPPT+Solar, Charging a mifi so I can see in VRM....but left OEM switch off. In the last 24 hours (pulling slide out, lights as well as the previously mentioned that are currently on) it has used .2KWh. Most of that has been offset by lack luster solar (cloudy and rainy and night for most of the last 24 hours).

So, with a little us working usage at the beginning of the chart....then you get into the night and you can see the Cerbo GX, MPPT, and hotspot are using 0.01 KWh on each of the red lines in the table. At that rate it should last a year! Let alone when the master battery switch is off and now NOTHING is plugged in except shunt. How do I know? I am not using factory wiring for this....its very easy to see.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-06-21 17_40_00-Imagine 2400BH - VRM Portal.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.7 KB ID:	58211
      2020 Imagine 2400BH
      2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

bellis

Please refresh my memory on your configuration. A schematic showing the components and wiring will help to decipher what's going on.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

bellis

If your emergency break away is in front of the switch , direct from the battery , I believe this has a parasitic draw. I have not checked this but I had my battery wired so the only thing that had power was the break away and my battery would lose power in about 10 days. I have since moved to total battery disconnect and have not had the issue as bad. The original deep cycle battery that I received with my camper is a cheap one.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
            bellis

Please refresh my memory on your configuration. A schematic showing the components and wiring will help to decipher what's going on.
            Posting below.

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
            bellis

If your emergency break away is in front of the switch , direct from the battery , I believe this has a parasitic draw. I have not checked this but I had my battery wired so the only thing that had power was the break away and my battery would lose power in about 10 days. I have since moved to total battery disconnect and have not had the issue as bad. The original deep cycle battery that I received with my camper is a cheap one.

Brian
            It is not. Per Howson's suggestion - will post diagram below.

----------

As you both can see - nothing other than shunt's temperature monitor and the fuse is behind the master battery switch.

Imagine2400BH-Wiring_Diagram_V6.pdf
            2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

bellis

First--why disconnect the SmarSolar from the batteries when the camper is in storage? The #1 job of solar is to keep the batteries charged. The tiny amount of power consumed by the camper during storage should easily be supported by the solar array's recharging of the battery bank--assuming the array has access to the sun while in storage.

When the Battery Switch is OFF, is the PV input from the solar array also turned off? (I use a Blue Sea switch to isolate the panels.) The OP didn't specify. If not that's a bad practice to turn off battery power without isolating PV. (PV off first, then battery to SmartSolar. Then battery power to SmartSolar, then turn PV back on are the right sequences.)

I can't fully defend this, but I'll write it anyway: my suggestion is to move the battery positive from the SmartSolar to the battery side of the Baomain ANL-400A Fuse. This way when the Battery Switch is off the Battle Borns can still get a charge input from the SmartSolar controller to keep the batteries charged. The DC Breakers can always turn off the controller if that is the goal. This change will then have your system nearly mirror mine which works (to my knowledge) perfectly.

If I'm right the issue is not really a drop in the SOC but a confused SmartShunt due to the SmartSolar wiring.

A way to test my guess without any changes is to charge the system to 100% and then not only turn off the Battery Switch but also turn off the PV and battery input to the SmartSolar. After a week turn on just the Battery Switch and note the reported SOC.

If it's a configuration issue, the only way we'll be able to identify is if you capture each component's configuration (and each screen for each component) and post the pictures. Myself and several others with similar systems can then compare settings.

Side note/question: Did you really use 2/0 for the battery cables to the SmartSolar? I used 2ga for the same controller--wasn't aware it would accept 2/0 (that's big!).

Name:	bellis issue.JPG
Views:	515
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	58353
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

bellis

First--why disconnect the SmarSolar from the batteries when the camper is in storage? The #1 job of solar is to keep the batteries charged. The tiny amount of power consumed by the camper during storage should easily be supported by the solar array's recharging of the battery bank--assuming the array has access to the sun while in storage.

When the Battery Switch is OFF, is the PV input from the solar array also turned off? (I use a Blue Sea switch to isolate the panels.) The OP didn't specify. If not that's a bad practice to turn off battery power without isolating PV. (PV off first, then battery to SmartSolar. Then battery power to SmartSolar, then turn PV back on are the right sequences.)

I can't fully defend this, but I'll write it anyway: my suggestion is to move the battery positive from the SmartSolar to the battery side of the Baomain ANL-400A Fuse. This way when the Battery Switch is off the Battle Borns can still get a charge input from the SmartSolar controller to keep the batteries charged. The DC Breakers can always turn off the controller if that is the goal. This change will then have your system nearly mirror mine which works (to my knowledge) perfectly.
                I thought about taking the MPPT directly by the master battery switch....but then I decided I wanted my master battery switch to truly be a master switch. Now, what I do not have diagramed here is the details of the OEM switch. So, when I turn the master battery switch on the following items have access to power as currently wired: Multiplus (which has it's own switch), MPPT (which has a breaker), Cerbo GX (which I want on if Solar or other things are on), and the front part of the trailer IE jack, jack light, and emergency brake. The reason for this is on the OEM battery switch, I have the distribution bar from the master battery switch wired to the side that has the front of the rig on the same side of the switch. IE Master battery switch on; jack and ebrake on; but, to get power to the rest of the rig (the 12V fuse/distribution panel) the OEM switch has to be turned on.

So, I guess my thoughts in summary are this....I can turn my master battery switch on, the MPPT, and solar (in that order), leave Multiplus off, leave OEM switch off and only my solar and Cerbo GX will be running. There will be some parasitic drain to the tongue jack and ebrake....but I think with solar on that is probably negligible. If I bypassed the master switch for the MPPT; I would want to do that for the Cerbo as well....

bellis

If I'm right the issue is not really a drop in the SOC but a confused SmartShunt due to the SmartSolar wiring.

A way to test my guess without any changes is to charge the system to 100% and then not only turn off the Battery Switch but also turn off the PV and battery input to the SmartSolar. After a week turn on just the Battery Switch and note the reported SOC.

If it's a configuration issue, the only way we'll be able to identify is if you capture each component's configuration (and each screen for each component) and post the pictures. Myself and several others with similar systems can then compare settings.

Side note/question: Did you really use 2/0 for the battery cables to the SmartSolar? I used 2ga for the same controller--wasn't aware it would accept 2/0 (that's big!).

Name:	bellis issue.JPG
Views:	515
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	58353
                I think you are right about the configuration. I am wondering if my SOC (reported SOC) is just confused. But, I am not sure this is due to the MPPT? Maybe some other setting? I don't see how my batteries would drop 30-45% charge on a 3 battery bank over 3 weeks with the master battery switch off. Shoot, even if I left it on and the OEM switch off I would have trouble imaging it would drain that far....but maybe. The only active draw would be the Cerbo GX in that case.....so 10 watts? I would have to do the math...

This is further evidenced by my lackluster solar input over the past 3 days. Granted it has been cloudy and rainy; but I have not seen solar input exceed 10W over the past 3 days via VRM real-time updates. The MPPT is also in float.....so could these be indicators of a configuration issue and a falsely reported SOC?

I may take you up on your suggestion to post screenshots of configuration. That may be the ticket.....I am guessing my SOC is higher than what is reported.

Side Note: I did have 2/0 crammed into the MPPT....but then that would not fit into the breaker....so I dropped it to 2AWG. I guess I need to update diagram.

Big Summary - I am thinking my issue may be a configuration one or something or a confused system - false SOC reported.
                2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

Looked over my settings tonight. All appeared within Battleborn's ranges. I tweaked some slightly. Here are the screenshots.

Name:	IMG_3826.PNG
Views:	478
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	58493Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3823.PNG
Views:	431
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	58494Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3825.PNG
Views:	421
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	58495Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3822.PNG
Views:	426
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	58496Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3824.PNG
Views:	444
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	58497

SOC showed ~47% tonight as I was playing with settings - so I hooked up the generator and turned the Multiplus to charge only....you can see the meteoric rise of SOC in VRM. Here is the thing....the generator did not charge basically at all. It went straight to absorption and little to no watts were coming in...definitely not a significant charge. SOC during this time stayed the same and then a few minutes later it skyrocketed to 100%. See screenshot.

Name:	2021-06-23 23_21_40-Imagine 2400BH - VRM Portal.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	58498
                  2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

In one of the screenshots you will note, I do not have the "VE.Smart Networking" enabled. I never set this up....I figured the Cerbo would take care of me....but is this the issue? Do I need to do so, so the Shunt and the MPPT can communicate directly?

Name:	IMG_3827.PNG
Views:	434
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	58500
                    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post
                      In one of the screenshots you will note, I do not have the "VE.Smart Networking" enabled. I never set this up....I figured the Cerbo would take care of me....but is this the issue? Do I need to do so, so the Shunt and the MPPT can communicate directly?
                      No. VE.Smart Networking is used for Victron components to communicate with each other IF there's no GX device in the system. Your devices "talk" via VE.Direct.

From a Victron document:

VE.Smart Networking is designed for small systems which do not have a GX device - such as a Color Control GX or Venus GX. In systems which have a GX device, do not use VE.Smart Networking - See FAQ 6.

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post
                        Looked over my settings tonight. All appeared within Battleborn's ranges. I tweaked some slightly. Here are the screenshots.
                        From the BMV's manual (should be the same for the SmartShunt)

Name:	Too Early.JPG
Views:	441
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	58510

Below are the differences between our Battery settings. I suspect the Charge detection time is the issue, but I leave any decision to make changes up to you.

Name:	Differences.JPG
Views:	458
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	58511

Comment

bellis

Differences in our SmartSolar settings:

Name:	SmartSolar.JPG
Views:	459
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	58513

Comment

bellis

You'll have to hook up to it, but if you want post pics of your Multiplus' configuration, too, and I'll do a similar comparison.

Howard

P.S. bertschb, ncitro or anyone else... if you spot something I missed or a settings that looks amiss, chime in...
                            Last edited by howson; 06-24-2021, 07:43 AM.

Comment

bellis

To make sure we're comparing apples-to-apples, these are the firmware versions in my system:

Name:	Firmware.JPG
Views:	457
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	58516

Comment

Working...
                              X