Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electrical help needed! Lost 50 amp shore power. Is it the power cord?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical help needed! Lost 50 amp shore power. Is it the power cord?

A couple hours ago we lost shore power. My Progressive EMS showed an error 6 - low voltage. I'm going to round numbers off here but the EMS showed 110v to L1 and I think 3v on L2. Not exactly sure what the L2 number was but it was single digits and the EMS wouldn't pass through power. I swapped the 50 amp cord for a 30 amp cord and connected that to the post. The EMS showed 110v for L1 and 110v for L2 and no errors. So, we do have power, just not 50 amp service.

The RV park electrician then came out and tested the post and said the 50 amp service was good. He first tested power before the breaker then flipped the breaker on and tested the 50 amp outlet and said it too was good. He then tested my 50 amp power cord for continuity and although he fumbled around while testing it, he said it was good. He wasn't sure which posts to test and said he wasn't familiar with all the new RV stuff. Said he had 50 years experience as a Journeyman. I also tested the cord and I'm 90% sure it's OK (you should know by now I'm no electrician).

Since the 50 amp service at the post and the 50 amp cord were OK, that got me worried about possible wiring issues from the RV power receptacle to the EMS. But then I remembered seeing both L1 and L2 were 110v for the 30 amp cord.

My questions...
    1- If my 30 amp service is showing both L1 and L2 are 110v and my 30 amp cord works, does that mean the wiring from the RV receptacle to the EMS is OK?
    2- Can a 50 amp power cord test out OK for continuity and still be bad when connected to the RV?

It's 100 degrees today and the power cord is kind of soft right where it bends to hang down from the side of the RV. Nothing looks melted but it's difficult to see the metal pins inside the female part of the cord.

I'm OK for now because I can use the Power Assist feature on my Victron inverter to run both A/C's from 30 amp shore power but I need to know if my cord is bad or worse yet, if the wiring from the side of the RV to the EMS is bad.

Thanks for any insights you may have.
    Last edited by bertschb; 06-26-2021, 09:30 PM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

30 amp service will check out at 120 v on both legs as the one leg of 120 v from the post is tied together in the adaptor from 50 amp service to 30 amp service. This works for 50 to 20 as well , both legs will read the same. To test the post you should have 240 v across the 2 outside plug holes. Then you should have 120 v across one outside and the common , this will the top one I think , flat blade. It is possible that the post has lost a leg and it came back when checked. Have you tried the 50 amp cord again?

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      Have you tried the 50 amp cord again?
      Thanks for the reply Brian. Yes, we checked the 50 amp cord one more time while connected to shore power and the RV as the last step after he checked the cord itself (continuity test). It still didn't work. As you know, these cords get bent down towards the ground at a pretty sharp angle when plugged into the RV. It seems like a bad idea to me as that would seem to put a lot of stress on the cord and the RV receptacle. I know others have moved to the Smart Plug connector for this reason and I may do the same.

BTW, the electrician did test both plug holes at the post and showed me his multimeter. It was 239ish on both. He also plugged the 50 amp cord into the post and tested the female end while not plugged into the RV and said it was OK. But, the cord wasn't bent at the sharp angle you get when it's plugged into the RV.

One final thing that doesn't really matter too much but I'll throw it out there anyway - this is a newer RV park with nice utilities. That's not to say the post couldn't be flaky but it's one of the last things I would expect. I've stayed at some RV parks where the opposite would be true.
      Last edited by bertschb; 06-26-2021, 09:32 PM.
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Flex the 50 amp cable while you measure L2 continuity. Or connect to the 50 amp service, flex the cable to see if the ems drops out. This would tell you goodness or badness of the cable.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

UPDATE

I woke up this morning remembering that the voltage using that 30 amp cord should have been around 120, not the 110 that my brain reverts to when thinking of household current. It was actually 107 which is close to the EMS cut off. That made me think the voltage at the post may have been low even though the electrician said it was OK. So, while it was still cool outside this morning and nobody is drawing much power from the park grid, I tried the 50 amp cord again. Sure enough, it worked! The EMS showed L1 as 121v and L2 as 123v. Much better! I don't recall what the exact voltage was when I connected that 50 amp cord yesterday when it failed but I'm going to watch it like a hawk today as it heats up outside.

BTW, when I was testing the continuity of the 50 amp cord yesterday, I did have my wife flex it to see if there were any bad connections. That didn't seem to affect it.
          Last edited by bertschb; 06-27-2021, 08:06 AM.
          Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

bertschb
            Hi Brian,

I would suspect the connections within the female end molded on to the 50A cord. I had a problem with this part of my cord and I am aware of at least one other. Just because you can find the terminals with a multi meter probe does not mean that they are properly engaging with the inlet spades on the RV. I replaced the twist lock end on my cord, but if I were to do this again, I would spend a few more dollars (actually quite a few!) and go to the Smart Plug and matching inlet, as others here have done.

I actually gave the faulty Furrion cord end to a Grand Design rep at a recent rally, but have heard nothing further, from that.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The Furrion connectors are not very robust. I have replaced a couple over the years due to poor engagement. When it comes to electrical connectors you definitely get what you pay for.
              2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                I replaced the twist lock end on my cord, but if I were to do this again, I would spend a few more dollars (actually quite a few!) and go to the Smart Plug and matching inlet, as others here have done.
                Good morning Rob

I looked at the Smart Plug yesterday. IIRC, the kit was around $200 for the plug end (not the whole cord) and inlet. Spendy indeed! If I can find one along our route, I'll pick it up and retrofit my cord/inlet. Right now I wish Progressive Dynamics had a Bluetooth version of their EMS so I could monitor voltage remotely. It will be interesting to see if it drops as it heats up today. It's supposed to be near 100.

-Brian

Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

bertschb
                  Hi Brian,

If you should encounter any marine supply places in your travels, these Smart Plug conversions are very popular with boats . . . just make sure that you get the 50A version and not the 30A one.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post

Good morning Rob

I looked at the Smart Plug yesterday. IIRC, the kit was around $200 for the plug end (not the whole cord) and inlet. Spendy indeed! If I can find one along our route, I'll pick it up and retrofit my cord/inlet. Right now I wish Progressive Dynamics had a Bluetooth version of their EMS so I could monitor voltage remotely. It will be interesting to see if it drops as it heats up today. It's supposed to be near 100.

-Brian
                    I was looking at the smart plug too yesterday, only 30A Found a good price here. I know nothing about theses folks. https://parts.unitedrv.com/products/...ack-b30assy-pb Its the 30 amp version but they carry the 50 0ne too.

https://parts.unitedrv.com/products/...ite-b50assy-pb

They have them in 3 colors too Black, White and Stainless Steel.

As my replacement Furrion one is delayed I may pull the plug on one - no pun intended.

Keith
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Looks interesting. It's nice to have options.
                      John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
                      2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
                      ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
                      2017 Jayco 26BH
                      2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

UPDATE #2

My EMS just shut the 50 amp power down again with error code #6. The remote display showed L1 at 113v. L2 was 3v.

I've been monitoring voltage throughout the day. It started this morning at 121/123 and slowly dropped to 110/113 just before we left to get dinner. When we returned, the EMS had shut down shore power and the inverter took over. I swapped the 50 amp cord for the 30 amp cord and all is well again.

I had a feeling we lost power again as we were driving back into the RV park and noticed the electrician at a neighbor's lot working on their pedestal.
                        Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

I'd say the park has a problem.
                          Ted
                          2021 Reflection 310RLS
                          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                            I'd say the park has a problem.
                            Yep, I think you're right.
                            John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
                            2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
                            ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
                            2017 Jayco 26BH
                            2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

Completely dropping one leg is not a usual park supply problem. The electricity arrives as (theoretically) 240V and is split in half to two 120V feeds. Not really possible for a supply "brown out" to drop one side to 3V and leave the other at 113V. A supply problem would typically drop both legs about the same amount. I still think that the RV end of your 50A cord is the problem. As the cord warms up, it deforms until one line connection is lost. At least . . . that would be my theory .

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X