Circuit Breaker Panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circuit Breaker Panel

I am new to Grand Design and this forum. We just picked up our 2021 380FL. In looking at the Circuit Breaker Panel, I noticed the labels to not match the circuit breakers. I called customer service, but they said they could not tell from the picture what breakers matched what labels. They suggested I try each breaker to determine that. I'm sorry, not going to happen. I called the dealer and they are still trying to figure it out. 2 questions: How did this pass Grand Design's inspection and their secondary third party 300 point inspection? And, does anybody have any suggestions? Thank you!

Originally posted by mcconnrr View Post
    I am new to Grand Design and this forum. We just picked up our 2021 380FL. In looking at the Circuit Breaker Panel, I noticed the labels to not match the circuit breakers. I called customer service, but they said they could not tell from the picture what breakers matched what labels. They suggested I try each breaker to determine that. I'm sorry, not going to happen. I called the dealer and they are still trying to figure it out. 2 questions: How did this pass Grand Design's inspection and their secondary third party 300 point inspection? And, does anybody have any suggestions? Thank you!
    Please remember this is an owner's forum--it's owners helping owners on a platform paid for and supported by Grand Design.

Back around the Feb '21 time frame Grand Design made a change (due to supply issues) to allow the Power Distribution Panel to accept GE circuit breakers. If you look closely, you'll see the GE symbol on the breakers in the panel.

The best way to figure out what works-with-what is to do a survey. I realize that's not what you want to read, but it's by far the easiest way to figure it out.

The first six breakers look like they align with their purpose (even if they aren't lined up directly underneath). Easy enough to turn off the 15A that is fifth from the left (microwave) to see if the microwave turns off. The far right 20A is probably the fireplace--again, easy to verify.

I can't figure out the right way to write this--I hope you'll accept this in the (gentle) spirit intended--RV ownership is a never-ending DIY project. If doing a (relatively simple) survey gets your dander up and leads to calls to the dealer and/or Grand Design...you may be in for a rough ownership experience. Please don't shoot the messenger. Just being honest. It's not just Grand Design, it's the entire RV industry. I haven't taken one trip over my three years of ownership that hasn't resulted in a list of things to fix once I get home.

So back to the issue at hand.

In my 315RLTS I mapped out all the appliances and outlets. It took longer to create the graphic than it did to do the survey. An outlet tester made it simple.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Outlet to CB OEM.JPG
Views:	1697
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	59486
    Click image for larger version

Name:	outlet tester.JPG
Views:	1286
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	59487

If you'd like to know more about the underpinnings of this forum and how things work, check out the Welcome Letter to New Members at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you for the response. I get it. This is my 5th camper, and I do understand the never-ending DIY fixes. If it was just a matter of the labels not lining up, I wouldn't care. I agree that the first 6 breakers are correct. But, is the blank breaker a 50 amp? If so, why isn't it connected to the 1st 50 amp like in your picture? And then, that leaves the other 5 breakers with 6 labels?

Comment

mcconnrr

I think the two centre breakers are tied together, which is why only one is labeled. Try turning one off and it is likely linked to the other. Do you have a 3rd AC installed? The label to the right may refer to wiring installed, but the close out plug would have to be replaced by a breaker when the 3rd AC is installed (just guessing at this)

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thank you for the response. That makes sense. And yes, I do have a 3rd AC.

Comment

Originally posted by mcconnrr View Post
            Thank you for the response. That makes sense. And yes, I do have a 3rd AC.
            Having the third AC you should have a breaker for it , and it does not look like you have one.

Can you confirm that the 50 amp and the one to the right of it are in fact tied together? By the picture it does not look like it is. Removing the cover , be careful if power is on , could you get a picture of the wire connection side on the breakers?

This looks confusing to me as well , a few more pics would sure help.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I'll tag on with Rob on the 50 AMP. That's the two pole breaker for the 50 amp service coming in. Another thing you can tell by the supply shortage. It's been tough getting Murray/Siemens breakers and panels. That's who GD use previously. Now they're using GE.
              Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
              2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
              2020 Momentum 351M
              2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Would be hard to believe no breaker was installed for 3rd A/C circuit. Just a guess, but does your unit have the optional inverter? If not, then that label should not be there (or there should be a blank in the panel in that slot). If you ignore this label, then the breakers seem to line up in order? Maybe?
                Ken & Sandra
                2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

mcconnrr

We are all trying to help by guessing at how the breakers might be wired.
                  I know that you stated in your first post that you are not about to trace which circuit is connected to which breaker.

Knowing what we do about RV manufacturing, I doubt that Grand Design will have sufficient documentation to show exactly which wire was connected to which breaker in your specific panel. Agreed that this should be clear and it is not. You could wait for a dealer service appointment to have them confirm which label goes with which breaker, but the issue can be sorted out quite easily as Howard howson described in post #2.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thank all for your help! Yes, the 50amp and the one next to it are tied together. So those would be the MAIN. I do not have a Inverter, so that label should not be there. With that being said, the rest of them line up. I will re-label them as it should have been done at the factory. I DO understand the nature of RV's, but this should NEVER have passed Grand Design's inspection or the 3rd party PDI.

Comment

It almost appears as if the 2 main labels should have been placed over each other. Either they wired the 3rd AC to the inverter, the label should not have been there, or they shifted all of the items 1 space toward the main.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                      X