WH Circuit Breaker Tripping (30G)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WH Circuit Breaker Tripping (30G)

Hi all - I haven't had hot water in my rig since the day I got it (three weeks ago). I've had more pressing things to spend time on, but decided to check it out this morning. First thing I checked was the circuit breaker, and sure enough it had tripped. I reset it and went back to checking emails etc. About 10 minutes later I hear that distinctive "click." Tripped again.

The Suburban SW6DELC manual mentions "two high-temperature limit cut-off devices located behind the cover that indicate PUSH TO RESET," but those seem to be related just to water temps versus anything electrical. I could be wrong. Maybe they're related?

I went ahead and pushed the reset for 120v but it didn't give any feedback. No reset "feel" if you will. I reset the breaker again, then checked the WH. I could hear an indistinctive sound. After the breaker tripped again, I checked the valve on the WH and got pretty decent hoti-ish water, and the sound I'd heard earlier was gone.

Does anyone have any experiences like this? Not sure what to do next besides call either GD or Suburban. Thank you.
    Jeff
    2021 Momentum 30G
    2021 RAM 2500 6.7L Diesel HD

Originally posted by JH2112 View Post
    Hi all - I haven't had hot water in my rig since the day I got it (three weeks ago). I've had more pressing things to spend time on, but decided to check it out this morning. First thing I checked was the circuit breaker, and sure enough it had tripped. I reset it and went back to checking emails etc. About 10 minutes later I hear that distinctive "click." Tripped again.

The Suburban SW6DELC manual mentions "two high-temperature limit cut-off devices located behind the cover that indicate PUSH TO RESET," but those seem to be related just to water temps versus anything electrical. I could be wrong. Maybe they're related?

I went ahead and pushed the reset for 120v but it didn't give any feedback. No reset "feel" if you will. I reset the breaker again, then checked the WH. I could hear an indistinctive sound. After the breaker tripped again, I checked the valve on the WH and got pretty decent hoti-ish water, and the sound I'd heard earlier was gone.

Does anyone have any experiences like this? Not sure what to do next besides call either GD or Suburban. Thank you.
    Circuit breaker on the Power Distribution Panel? That's not a normal failure mode for the water heater. Since it's not popping immediately, that suggests there's not a short in the wiring. The high-temperature cut-off is there if the heater is on too long (water gets too hot) but that shouldn't cause the 120vAC circuit to overload.

Bottom line: since the trailer is new I suggest calling your dealer first. If they can't (or won't) help in a timely fashion call Grand Design Customer Service and ask for help.

Please follow up with the results.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks, Howard. The manual refers to a "main load center." The breakers for all the appliances are there, labeled, so I assume that's it. And "yes," that one. Fortunately I'm in Arizona and the water in the tank is luke warm anyway.

I'll keep ya'll posted.
      Jeff
      2021 Momentum 30G

Comment

Update: when I left Tucson yesterday, I turned off the electric switch to the WH on the panel inside. When I set up, I didn't bother turning it back on since I figured it would just throw the breaker again. Well, guess what? I have hot water. And the breaker has not been reset. Seems as though having both the switch inside and the one outside in the on position is causing the issue, but I'll verity that. And call GD anyway.
        Jeff
        2021 Momentum 30G

Comment

Originally posted by JH2112 View Post
          Update: when I left Tucson yesterday, I turned off the electric switch to the WH on the panel inside. When I set up, I didn't bother turning it back on since I figured it would just throw the breaker again. Well, guess what? I have hot water. And the breaker has not been reset. Seems as though having both the switch inside and the one outside in the on position is causing the issue, but I'll verity that. And call GD anyway.
          That would be an interesting find if that is the case. The switches you are referencing are 12 v dc switches. These activate the control board on the WH which activates the gas or electric side when the thermostat calls for heat.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Update: I shut off the electric at the water heater itself, reset the breaker, then turned the switch on inside the trailer. About an hour later, I checked the hot water and it was not as hot as it was this morning, so I assume it wasn't being heated. I switched the power back on at the WH, and the breaker tripped about five minutes later.
            Jeff
            2021 Momentum 30G

Comment

To refresh our memories, circuit breakers trip to protect the wiring when they get too hot, i.e. there is too much amperage flowing through the breaker. On a multi-use line this can often be caused by too many appliances being used at one time. On a dedicated line as with the WH this would seem less likely. However, as the breaker is not tripping immediately, which would indicate a short in the circuity, but after several minutes of heat build up, it appears that either the WH is drawing more amperage than the circuit breaker is rated for or the circuit breaker is bad.

The quickest and easiest check is to replace the circuit breaker (with all power off) and see if this solves the problem. If not then it is a matter of checking the power requirements of the WH and making sure that the wires and circuit breakers are properly sized, and then making sure that the WH isn't drawing too much amperage.

Good Luck
              John
              2018 Momentum 395M
              2018 Ram 3500 Dually
              Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Before running out and buying a new breaker, swap it with one of the same size in the panel, if the problem follows the breaker the breaker is bad, if the problem stays with the WH something in the WH circuit is the issue. This "bush fix" will keep you from having to spend the better part of a morning looking for a breaker. Note that the more times a breaker trips the weaker it becomes. You will eventually need to replace it, but if you can swap it for now, that will at least point you in the proper direction with no money spent.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                X