Battery compartment smells like sulfur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery compartment smells like sulfur

2021 Reflection 31M - Battery compartment in the front end of our 5th wheel smells heavily like sulfur. Trailer is only 4 months old this is going to be our 5th trip and no issues prior to today. We had it in storage for about 2 weeks from our last trip. Brought it home today to get ready to leave again only to find this issue, any ideas?

Check that the battery box is bottom and top vented. Also check that the battery box halves are aligned and screwed together.

With the unit in storage for 2 weeks unless you physically disconnected the battery from the unit, there are still items in the trailer that are connected to the battery before the disconnect. You may be smelling the battery because it's under a hard charge due to being so low.

Also check the fluid levels in the battery, be safe as this is an acid. Verify charging voltage is correct.

When you get time check out the moderator welcome letter. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Does your propane regulator fall under the recall list?

Is the battery vent pipe clear and unobstructed?

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thank you for the replies, it is vented on both the top and bottom and I also verified the vent pipe is clear as well. I will need to see if the propane regulator is under the recall list, I have not seen anything from them, would they normally alert you if you had something recalled similar to a vehicle?

Comment

Originally posted by rwadkin View Post
          2021 Reflection 31M - Battery compartment in the front end of our 5th wheel smells heavily like sulfur. Trailer is only 4 months old this is going to be our 5th trip and no issues prior to today. We had it in storage for about 2 weeks from our last trip. Brought it home today to get ready to leave again only to find this issue, any ideas?
          From the "No Idea So Let's Take A Guess" files: a Grey (GD's spelling, not mine) and Black tank is under the front of the camper near that compartment. While the vent should take all the smells somewhere else, any chance there is residual unmentionables in those tanks?
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you for the replies, it is vented on both the top and bottom and I also verified the vent pipe is clear as well. I will need to see if the propane regulator is under the recall list, I have not seen anything from them, would they normally alert you if you had something recalled similar to a vehicle?
            My apologies on the recall with the propane regulator. The Reflection line was not affected with this recall. It is worth a check on both regulators, red one on the door side , and auto change over one on the street side. Spray a little dish soap and water mix on the regulators and even the connections to see if there is any leaks present.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Your battery is dry
              John & Kathy
              2014 Reflection 303RLS
              2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Shorted cell in the battery, it's toast.
                2017 Imagine 2650 & 2019 F-250 (Got tired of the F-150)

Comment

In a previous 5th wheel we had I too had the sulphur smell issue and had taken every means to uncover the source. The short story is our battery cells were dead and the inverter was doing its best to charge the battery. What was causing the sulphur smell was the acid inside the battery was boiling.

I suggest you remove your batter and have it tested. It's simple and will give you a definite yes or no if the battery is the issue.
                  Keith and Tina
                  2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
                  2014 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins Crew Cab SWD SB 4X4
                  Hitch Curt 20k Fixed Mount

Comment

Working...
                  X