Running wire through foam insulated wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running wire through foam insulated wall

Ok everyone, has anyone had the pleasure of running wire through their foam insulated walls? I’m sure it can be done however what’s the easiest way? What I’m thinking of doing is taking my out door speakers and running through a separate radio mounted outside. Please let me know! Thanks!

Glamping4two

Getting wiring through the rigid foam in an exterior wall is definitely not easy. I have tried this (without success). The foam is not compressible and is glued to both the outside and inside wall surfaces during the manufacturing process . . . so, it can't be pushed out of the way like fibreglass batt or soft foam insulation. Your only choice is to go through the foam, not past it. A sharp "skewer" might lead small wires through the foam, but the exact direction might be difficult to control. The exterior wall frame is hollow aluminum square tube (although, some tubes are filled with wood if things are screwed to them). Could a nearby frame tube work as a wiring conduit?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      Glamping4two

Getting wiring through the rigid foam in an exterior wall is definitely not easy. I have tried this (without success). The foam is not compressible and is glued to both the outside and inside wall surfaces during the manufacturing process . . . so, it can't be pushed out of the way like fibreglass batt or soft foam insulation. Your only choice is to go through the foam, not past it. A sharp "skewer" might lead small wires through the foam, but the exact direction might be difficult to control. The exterior wall frame is hollow aluminum square tube (although, some tubes are filled with wood if things are screwed to them). Could a nearby frame tube work as a wiring conduit?

Rob
      No not really. Our rig is a 310GK. The other option is to run a wire from the location behind the inside radio or zone c speaker wires down and around to new location. Run a 20 ga. 4 conductor.

Comment

What about new wireless outdoor speakers for the new radio?

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          What about new wireless outdoor speakers for the new radio?

Rob
          Well, I wasn’t sure they make them for radio’s??

Comment

Working...
          X