Generator for Imagine 2670mk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator for Imagine 2670mk

Hey gang! Just did maiden voyage/shakedown trip with full hookups, all worked well and we can't wait for the next trip. Boondocking - lakes/forest/off-grid is in our future, so I am looking at generators. What do you recommend for my rig, preferably less than $1000. Thanks!
    Kevin & Margarita
    2021 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins Diesel CC 6'4" Box
    2021 Imagine 2670MK

You could get a pair of Champion's and run either one or two in parallel , or you could get one big heavy 3500 watt dual fuel for around 1k.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Predator 3500 from Harbor Freight. On sale now for $765. Very quiet and reliable.

John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

@K&M roadies, Depending on options, are you running 30A or 50A? If 30A, I ran my TT on a 3500 watt champion from Tractor supply. Not the cleanest power, but it did run the HWH and AC at the same time (don't add the MW into the mix). I think the newer model of the generator I have is a bit more powerful.

This is the new version of what I have. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...-in-california I went with this as it's 120 / 240 for use around the house. During the Texas power grid failure, I ran the 3500 watt most of the time for fuel conservation as we are on natural gas heat with 120v blower motor. Used the 240v and killed all the 240V breakers in the house so we could have lights and heat.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

I posted a little while back about the Champion 4500 inverter/gen that we just bought. Paid around $950 with tax and a cover, remote start/stop has tons of features. Runs the AC in our Reflection 337 at around half load. My wife is amazed at how quiet it is. I did tons of research before I came to the Champion and I am happy with my choice.
          2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

It partly depends on if you want AC or not.
            2017 Imagine 2650 & 2019 F-250 (Got tired of the F-150)

Comment

Originally posted by K&M Roadies View Post
              Hey gang! Just did maiden voyage/shakedown trip with full hookups, all worked well and we can't wait for the next trip. Boondocking - lakes/forest/off-grid is in our future, so I am looking at generators. What do you recommend for my rig, preferably less than $1000. Thanks!
              First a disclaimer... I do not own a generator, and will likely not purchase one in the near future.

Having said that, I have thought about what I would want in a generator, and three things are at the top of my list. I want it to be able to produce about 3000 to 3600 running watts. I want it to be light enough I can lift it in and out of the truck bed by myself. And... I want it to run on gasoline or propane.

To me, the dual fuel option is highly desirable, because I already carry propane on the trailer. My tow vehicle is diesel, so if the generator only runs on gasoline, then I have to carry a can of gasoline as well. Having the dual fuel option eliminates the gasoline issue.

As for the running watts, I get by pretty well on campground 30 amp service (50 amp trailer) by managing my power consumption. Normally, I average about 3000 peak running watts at any time.

On the weight issue, if it weighs too much for me to lift without hurting myself, it's of no value. This is where having two small generators in parallel makes a lot of sense.

So those are my thoughts... and I hope you find them helpful!

Bob
              Bob & Lynne

2020 Imagine 2970RL
              2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax

Comment

For us the gasoline wasnt an issue since I bought a 2 1/2 gallon safety can that I leave in the bed of the truck. It doubles as spare emergency fuel for the truck. This coupled with the less efficient and more costly LP option lead us away from the dual fuel.

Comment

Thank you all for your input! Seems like I am looking in the right direction. My TT is 50 amp with one AC unit (15,000 btu), Microwave, TV, and water heater, understanding that not all can run at the same time. Also, being older, I can't lift a lot of weight either. Do I need the Inverter type? Predator 4400/3500 at Harbor Freight looks useable and affordable, thoughts? And thanks again all!
                  Kevin & Margarita
                  2021 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins Diesel CC 6'4" Box
                  2021 Imagine 2670MK

Comment

Inverter generators are nice and quite. But for one that size I think they are heavy. If you plan correctly it's not too bad on the generator. I turned on the AC first and gave the gen a few minutes to catch itself, then would turn on the HWH. The AC is a hard start hit on the generator but once running is not that bad. HWH is a resistance draw so not that bad when it flips on. Likewise you can run the HWH on gas instead to keep that load to a minimum. Also, depending on how much boon docking you do, the converter can be a hard draw to charge the battery. If you know the battery is low, give the generator a bit with the HWH and converter running before turning on the AC after turning off the HWH. Listen for the fan on the converter (if it has one) to know when it's out of HIGH output mode and cooled off if you do not have a battery monitor. Note the lights on the panel are only somewhat accurate when not attached to shore power and when attached to shore power completely inaccurate.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Having the Progressive EMS helps a lot for balancing loads. I have been able to monitor things to decide what we can and cant use. Based on my findings I will limit it to the AC, converter/charger and the fridge. The WH (we dont have a HWH)will have to run on propane.
                      Ours weighs just a biscuit under 100 lbs, my wife and I can easily lift it but my plan is to lock it in the bed of the truck and leave it there for the entire trip. Champion had a very nice cover for $16 we plan to use when its not running.

Comment

familytruckster4 For my generator, I built a 3 sided house with a roof and out of scraps and insulation. Put over the generator with the exhaust out the open side pointing away from the camper and it reduced the noise quite dramatically. We did this for boon docking at the hunting lease.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Love this Westinghouse inverter/generator.
                          2021 Grand Design Reflection 295RL 150 Series
                          2019 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali

Comment

Originally posted by K&M Roadies View Post
                            You might find this thread interesting in regards to 120V Bonding plugs and a Champion 2500W test for a 2670MK TT
                            ok, I am officially flummoxed. Have tested the two outlets under the overhead cabinets and the one at the end of the island. They are all dead. The GFCI in the bathroom is lit and functional. Can someone tell me where the GFCI for the kitchen is? Maybe outside kitchen? I haven't looked there yet.
                            Al & Ann
                            F150 with Max Tow Pkg.
                            Imagine 2670MK (2021)

Comment

Love our Westinghouse iGen 4500DF mounted up front! Run it on propane only. Powers AC well. Found out can't do AC and water heater on elec together though. Pretty quiet. And, LOVE the remote start.
                              Attached Files
                              Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
                              TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

Working...
                              X