No announcement yet.

OEM 55AMP charger + Lithium batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OEM 55AMP charger + Lithium batteries?

I purchased some 100Ah Battle born batteries and I was wondering if the OEM 55AMP charger in the 2020 397th would support charging them? From what I "think" I saw when finding similar chargers online is the 55AMP one bulk charges at 14.4 and floats at 13.8. If this is true, then technically it would work just fine?

Thoughts?

13.8V is high for float voltage. I expect it’s lower than that. Battle Borne is fine with a 14.4V charge voltage and anything under 13.6V for float.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

ok just looked it up...looks like its 13.2v for float...I was incorrect. Absorption Mode was 13.6v and Bulk is 14.4v.

Comment

Originally posted by cklinkbeil View Post
        ok just looked it up...looks like its 13.2v for float...I was incorrect. Absorption Mode was 13.6v and Bulk is 14.4v.
        Battle Borne says you are good to go.

John & Kathy
        2014 Reflection 303RLS
        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

The only thing that I have heard is the non lithium chargers have a tough time "topping off" lithium batteries. TucsonJim anything to add to this discussion.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I purchased some 100Ah Battle born batteries and I was wondering if the OEM 55AMP charger in the 2020 397th would support charging them? From what I "think" I saw when finding similar chargers online is the 55AMP one bulk charges at 14.4 and floats at 13.8. If this is true, then technically it would work just fine?

Thoughts?
            Here is the converter Battleborn recommended I get when I stitched to their battery.
            Donnie & Pattie
            2017 F350 Dually, 2021 Solitude 390RK
            Vin# 573FS4224MAA00525

Comment

Originally posted by racerx1699 View Post

Here is the converter Battleborn recommended I get when I stitched to their battery.
              I just so happen to have one that I just removed from my 5th wheel that was used for 6 months. I sold the trailer with lead acid batteries so had to install a non-lithium OEM WFCO converter. I will sell it for $175 plus shipping if anyone needs one.
              Paul and Deb Cervone
              2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
              2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
              2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

would this be a suitable sub?

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-D.../dp/B07DP3X16F

For now it looks like the OEM 55 AMP one will be "OK" not great, for just initially installing the batteries. When I can, I will upgrade. I just wanted to make sure my OEM converter won't blow up my batteries or anything lol.

Comment

would this be a suitable sub?

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-D.../dp/B07DP3X16F

For now it looks like the OEM 55 AMP one will be "OK" not great, for just initially installing the batteries. When I can, I will upgrade. I just wanted to make sure my OEM converter won't blow up my batteries or anything lol.
                  Yes that is a great add for lithium batteries.

Brian
                  Last edited by Country Campers; 07-13-2021, 06:53 PM. Reason: Posted wrong information.
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Yes that is a great add for lithium batteries. That one will actually be usable on flooded batteries as well , the one I should have bought (short story not worth telling).

Brian
                    Y Brian, this advice goes against everything I've read including this quote directly from the Progressive Dynamics website ..."Note: These units are designed to charge Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries only! "

Can you explain your view?
                    Paul and Deb Cervone
                    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
                    2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                      The only thing that I have heard is the non lithium chargers have a tough time "topping off" lithium batteries. TucsonJim anything to add to this discussion.

Brian
                      A dedicated lithium converter typically charges at 14.4 VDC and tapers the current down as the battery approaches 100% state of charge. A standard three stage converter such as the WFCO 9855 will provide a boost voltage of 14.4 VDC only if the battery is substantially depleted and will do so for a very short time. It is okay to use an OEM charger on LiFePO4 batteries. But they will charge very slowly, and will not likely reach 100% state of charge.

I would not use a lithium dedicated charger on a lead acid battery. High voltages for a long period of time will overcharge the battery and potentially damage it.

Jim..

P.S. I understand that some LiFePO4 battery chargers now come with a two stage mode.

Jim.
                      Jim and Ginnie
                      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Paul & Deb View Post

Y Brian, this advice goes against everything I've read including this quote directly from the Progressive Dynamics website ..."Note: These units are designed to charge Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries only! "

Can you explain your view?
                        Paul

I edited my post as I have been corrected. I thought that I remembered hearing that this was safe to do. You and TucsonJim have the correct information, that's what I get for thinking.........

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I replaced my batteries yesterday and OHHH BOY the OEM converter is.........slow, just like you said. When I am on generator, the batteries barely charge when I am at 13.2v. it basically maintains it's current voltage. So I suppose it's best if I replace the converter.

Wife just said, "why not get a inverter/charger then?"

Think I am gonna use this to my advantage 😂. I'll get the go power IC-3000-12 to future proof the solar stuff later

Comment

Working...
                          X