Onan door modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onan door modification

In our new 2021 310GK we ordered the ONAN 5500 generator. Apparently they had gas model, not the propane we wanted, so they did a conversion. In order to accommodate the conversion he had to adjust some fit for the front cover to still go on. But we’re finding every time it runs or we drive the front door of the generator falls off. As a result a lot of time it runs without a door latched. We will take it back to them for service to come up with another fix for the door, but wanted opinions is it still safe to run a generator when it doesn’t have a closed door?. It is still inside the overall closed compartment.

IMHO it shouldn't matter if the door is open, closed, or removed. If fact, instead of letting the door fall off and bounce around unsecured, I would leave it off and secure it someplace/some how for travel.
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by alisak40 View Post
      ...is it still safe to run a generator when it doesn’t have a closed door?
      Is there a warning or caution in the owners' manual about the door? How about a sticker on the door itself?

If no warnings, it's probably OK....but worth a call to Onan (if they have a Customer Service line). Better to know than assume.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Onan states to always have the door on and latched. The purpose is that the engine also drives a cooling fan inside the cabinet that draws fresh air in from the bottom and then back out in another spot on the bottom. Without the door the cooling ability is greatly diminished and much of the heat will be transferred into the compartment. My fan is actually louder to me than the exhaust.
        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

I second what Jerry said. The system is designed to draw air from below the the unit for cooling. Any disruption to air flow can affect cooling.
          Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
          2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
          2020 Momentum 351M
          2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Working...
          X