Victron Smart Shunt App questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victron Smart Shunt App questions

Taggin you howson since you seem to be the resident expert / fanboy. :-)

So I got my SmartShunt all wired up, and even figured out the amp hours of my battery so that it's set correctly.

I've got the battery charging right now. Has been for the last 5 or so days, so I should be at, or near 100% SOC in the morning when I plan on resuming playing with this.

Here are my questions:
    • When I zero the SOC, Do I have to follow any kind of procedure? Off shore power, let the battery sit, etc? Victron Manual seems quiet on this question.
    • Any recommendations on settings? I found this in the Manual:
      • The SmartShunt synchronises too early
        This can be the case in solar systems or other applications with fluctuating charge currents. Take the following measures to reduce the probability for the SmartShunt to prematurely set the state of charge to 100%: • Increase the “charged” voltage to slightly below the absorption charge voltage. For example: 14.2V in case of 14.4V absorption voltage (for a 12V battery). • Increase the “charged detection time” and/or decrease the tail current to prevent an early reset due to passing clouds.
    Mike
    2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Originally posted by mpking View Post
    Taggin you howson since you seem to be the resident expert / fanboy. :-)
    ncitro , bertschb and (soon) Yoda are also regulars who can help (but I'll admit to being a "fanboy" of Victron equipment). Battle Born and AMSolar have excellent resources for settings, too.

When I zero the SOC, Do I have to follow any kind of procedure? Off shore power, let the battery sit, etc? Victron Manual seems quiet on this question.
    No special steps to set the SOC at 100%.

Keep in mind the SmartShunt (and in my case the BMV-712) are what I'd call a passive device. The State of Charge (SoC) can be manually set at 100% at any point (even if wildly wrong) and it won't have an effect on the system except the incorrect reporting percentage. The device will eventually reset and report the correct percentage.

Any recommendations on settings?
    Sorry, Mike, but I don't remember the specifics of your system. What type of battery and how many? I assume a 12v system?

If you have solar, what is the total wattage and what are you using for the controller?

A sketch of your entire system (doesn't have to be fancy) would be helpful.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

No problem. I worked hard on the diagram, so I'm happy to have a use for it. :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	WiringDiagram.png
Views:	2378
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	60321
      Mike

Comment

My experience is with lithium so bear that in mind.

It should automatically sync to 100%, based on the battery voltage and the current that they are taking. I'd suspect after five days when you open it up it should read 100%

As for the sync settings I did have to adjust mine some. One of the settings is how low the current needs to be for it to think the batteries are charged. I found with the default, early in the morning when my panels only got a small amount of sun, they were only putting out a small amount of current and the system would think they were charged and sync to 100. I adjusted the charge detection time so it needed to be at that low current for a longer time before or synced. I'd run it for a while as suggested first, but if you have that issue you may need to make that adjustment.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

mpking

Do you have the recommended charge parameters for your battery?

Not that my opinion counts for much...but it appears to me the components make for a balanced system at a reasonable cost. (Well done.)

Howard

Comment

howson , I've pieced the system together over the last two campers. I already had the MPPT and the panel, I only had to purcase the Victron and the cables.

Here's the current settings... Basically I've followed the setup guide and used the recommended values. I'm out of my element, and honestly don't want to become an expert in this, this month. I've got lots of little trips lined up, all of them boondocking, so the little solar panel is going to come into play alot.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20210713-110954.png Views:	0 Size:	150.9 KB ID:	60420
            Mike

Comment

mpking
              I set the BATTERY STARTS SYNCHRONIZED setting on mine to OFF. Instead of reporting 100% after a battery disconnect event, it will report 0%. For me this is a better reminder the value is incorrect. (I usually make a note of the percentage prior to disconnecting and then manually set the SoC after reconnecting.) Personal choice--doesn't otherwise affect anything.

I also suggest increasing the Charged Detection Time. 3 minutes is a short time frame. With the relatively small (and slow) charge from/to the solar to the wet cell battery a longer period will give a greater probability of accuracy. I recently increased mine to 30 minutes. All the change will do is delay the device reporting 100%...nothing actually changes in the system itself.

At some point in the future if an upgrade is considered (especially if you add one or more solar panels), a Victron SmartSolar MPPT would work great with that SmartShunt. You don't have to have a GX device as they can network together via bluetooth using what's called VE Smart Networking. Probably too much info, but those of us with GX devices network our devices via VE.Direct.

Howard

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                mpking
                At some point in the future if an upgrade is considered (especially if you add one or more solar panels), a Victron SmartSolar MPPT would work great with that SmartShunt. You don't have to have a GX device as they can network together via bluetooth using what's called VE Smart Networking. Probably too much info, but those of us with GX devices network our devices via VE.Direct.
                Howard
                I'm not sure what my future goals are, so I chose to recycle the gear I already had. But this has been in the back of my head. It's one of the reasons I went with the Victron Smart Shunt over something cheaper (Like https://amzn.to/3r4M3Da).

I don't know if I'll build a full system, but I decided to go with the building blocks of one. Plus, I like the UI of Victron. Renogy's stuff is great, but the UI on the Bluetooth app is a dumpster fire.
                Mike

Comment

Working...
                X