Power switching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power switching

In general, I understand that my 25G runs on shore power, generator power and 12V battery power. Is there any procedure to follow when switching to the various power sources or is it all automatically done as I'm assuming?

Originally posted by Raggdoll View Post
    In general, I understand that my 25G runs on shore power, generator power and 12V battery power. Is there any procedure to follow when switching to the various power sources or is it all automatically done as I'm assuming?
    My recommendation is to turn off the breaker on the post before attaching cord from RV. Attach cord to RV then to post then turn breaker on , this prevents damage to the plug connections and reduces the chance of an arc. Most of the RV is powered by 12 v dc. This comes from either the battery or the converter. Battery power when not plugged into shore power. Converter and battery when plugged into shore power. Nothing special to do with that.

The generator should have an automatic transfer switch. When the generator is running on you are connected to shore power it should choose between one or the other , not sure which one has the upper hand on that. Others will be along to help also.

Welcome to the Forum , check out our welcome letter Welcome Letter to New Members - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Raggdoll Welcome to the family and the forum!

Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
      Nash County, NC
      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

I have a 2018 Reflection 29RL and I am trying to hook up a 3300 Firman generator. I show 120 volts at the end of my coach cord but when I plug it in there is no 120 power in the coach. ANy help would be appreciated. Not sure if my coach has a transfer switch or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Dsego View Post
          I have a 2018 Reflection 29RL and I am trying to hook up a 3300 Firman generator. I show 120 volts at the end of my coach cord but when I plug it in there is no 120 power in the coach. ANy help would be appreciated. Not sure if my coach has a transfer switch or not.
          I am not familiar with a 29RL model Reflection , are you sure you have the right model number?

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Dsego Welcome to the family and the forum!
            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
            Nash County, NC
            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Dsego Do you have an EMS (power monitor) that is hard wired? If so look up bonding plug as most generators are floating neutral and the EMS will not allow power through if it does not see the a connection between the neutral and ground.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

You r right country camper. It is 29RS sorry

Jlawles2. I believe you are correct. I do have the EMS in my trailer. Now I just need to decipher what and where a bonding plug is. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Dsego try this link: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...on-a-generator
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                  X