Which breaker is for battery charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which breaker is for battery charging

2021 grand design imagine xls 17mke, wfco 8735 power converter - Does anyone know if the breaker for the water heater is also for the battery charger? The breakers are labeled, but no label for batt charger.
    Why do I ask? Because I think I have a problem with the water heater electric mode. On propane it's fine. But whenever the water heater breaker is on, even if the water heater is switched off at the panel, the power converter fan runs continuously. So I've left it off and just used hot water on propane mode. But after a night the batteries were down just a little bit typical with the little DC usage that we had overnight. As soon as I flipped the breaker on (and of course the fan starts running) the batteries instantly show charged hence the question about whether the water heater breaker switch also controls the battery charger. I'll worry about the electric mode on the water heater after we get back from this trip but I just want to figure out how to manage my battery charging in the meantime .
    Thanks
    Russell Stamets

Russell and Kathy Stamets (and Lola the St Bernard)
    2021 Imagine XLS 17mke
    2015 F150 XLT 5L 4 x 4

Originally posted by rkstamets View Post
    2021 grand design imagine xls 17mke, wfco 8735 power converter - Does anyone know if the breaker for the water heater is also for the battery charger? The breakers are labeled, but no label for batt charger.
    Why do I ask? Because I think I have a problem with the water heater electric mode. On propane it's fine. But whenever the water heater breaker is on, even if the water heater is switched off at the panel, the power converter fan runs continuously. So I've left it off and just used hot water on propane mode. But after a night the batteries were down just a little bit typical with the little DC usage that we had overnight. As soon as I flipped the breaker on (and of course the fan starts running) the batteries instantly show charged hence the question about whether the water heater breaker switch also controls the battery charger. I'll worry about the electric mode on the water heater after we get back from this trip but I just want to figure out how to manage my battery charging in the meantime .
    Thanks
    Russell Stamets
    The power converter is the battery charger. Anything is possible with the breakers, usually there is a dedicated breaker marked converter, but not always. If you are hearing the converter fan run when you turn on the water heater breaker, then it would indicate they are on the same breaker. The converter fan tends to run frequently, even if your batteries are charged its providing the 12v power for your rig.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I believe that your converter is integrated into the power distribution panel.
      @Paul&Deb can you help?
      Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Brian,

Mine is too but there is a breaker for just the WFCO. I'll go out and take a look at the labeling.

Update: Its labeled CONV where the labeling is offset from the actual 15 amp breaker. On my unit its the bottom left breaker.

Jim
        Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2021, 03:47 PM.

Comment

My 22MLE uses the WFCO 8735 and the convertor and electric water heater are on the same 15amp breaker. I have noticed that when hooked up to AC shore power that if I turn on the LED ceiling lights that it makes the fan on the convertor switch on. And this is in my driveway with NOTHING else using AC power but those lights. I plan to eventually replace that WFCO power center with something of better quality that hopefully has a quieter fan. I am sure that fan kicks on when using the Air Conditioner too....I just can't hear it.

Hope this helps.

Bill M.
          2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
          2021 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost

Comment

Originally posted by BillM321 View Post
            My 22MLE uses the WFCO 8735 and the convertor and electric water heater are on the same 15amp breaker. I have noticed that when hooked up to AC shore power that if I turn on the LED ceiling lights that it makes the fan on the convertor switch on. And this is in my driveway with NOTHING else using AC power but those lights. I plan to eventually replace that WFCO power center with something of better quality that hopefully has a quieter fan. I am sure that fan kicks on when using the Air Conditioner too....I just can't hear it.

Hope this helps.
            The converter makes 12v DC out of shore power. The fan runs when it's use increases (using more 12v power like the lights) and should not be affected by the use of 120v loads such as the air conditioner.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

The converter fan would only be controlled by 12V loads that are converted from AC as Neil has conveyed. AC loads anywhere in the rig are not loads that run through the converter and would have no impact on fan control of the converter. It seems the converter has a defective fan control since my converter fan rarely ran when it was used.

Jim

Comment

The converter fan running may be a noise annoyance, but will not harm anything. The converter cooling fan can come on with no accessory circuits turned on, if there is enough power draw going into charging the battery. Since you are camping overnight with battery charging turned off, this is likely. The converter fan on my Reflection comes on quite easily as well, but with the converter buried further away from the living area, the noise is not very noticeable.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

The converter makes 12v DC out of shore power. The fan runs when it's use increases (using more 12v power like the lights) and should not be affected by the use of 120v loads such as the air conditioner.

My apologies....I typed AC when I meant to type DC when referring to the LED ceiling lights. But I am glad I did because that made you all point out to me that the fan in the power center is only cooling the convertor. And that makes perfect sense after I think about it for 2 seconds. I had been assuming the fan was cooling the power center as a whole entity, when in fact the convertor is the only thing generating heat and needing to be cooled.

Bill M.
                  2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                  2021 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost

Comment

Thanks all for the hints, especially the confirmation that the batt charger and water heater share the same breaker on some 8735's. It sounds ike the fan running is a fault in the 8735 and I'll just live with it until I can upgrade it.
                    2021 Imagine XLS 17mke
                    2015 F150 XLT 5L 4 x 4

Comment

rkstamets If the fan is running all the time, report it to the dealer. That's what the warranty is designed to fix. There may be an underlying problem and letting the dealer service dept find it now may save you a lot of money in the future.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Update: The WFCO 8735 behaved itself for the last 2000 miles, except for an occassional slight rattle from the fan. I would like to buy a replacement and keep this one for a spare. Is there an upgrade anyone can recommend that would be better than the WFCO 8735. I have two lead acid deep cycle 12 volt batteries. I'll be adding two 120 watt solar panels and a charge controller, but my boat experience tells me that's not relevant to the power converter.
                        2021 Imagine XLS 17mke
                        2015 F150 XLT 5L 4 x 4

Comment

Update: The WFCO 8735 behaved itself for the last 2000 miles, except for an occassional slight rattle from the fan. I would like to buy a replacement and keep this one for a spare. Is there an upgrade anyone can recommend that would be better than the WFCO 8735. I have two lead acid deep cycle 12 volt batteries. I'll be adding two 120 watt solar panels and a charge controller, but my boat experience tells me that's not relevant to the power converter.
                          Whatever you buy, I suggest getting one that has the option to charge a LifePO4 lithium. If (when?) the batteries get upgraded another new converter won't be needed.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Yes, thanks, I realize the lithiums are quite the rage and people are going with Victrons and such to accommodate them. My boat experience could be clouding my judgement here, but the same trends to AGM and now Lithium big topics to cruisers. For the weight, cost, and ability to abuse, when these factory 12volts die, I'll probably go back to my trusty Trojan 6 volts. I'm willing to learn though. Besides maintenance, what other advantages would Lithium have for my small rig and our low consumption (even with half the battery bank I feel rich compared too the boat where we couldn't use a propane fridge).
                            2021 Imagine XLS 17mke
                            2015 F150 XLT 5L 4 x 4

Comment

I've used both the power max boondocker and progressive dynamics, both with great results. I'd recommend Randy at www.bestconverter.com. He really knows his product and will get you what you need.

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                              X