Which breaker is for battery charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rkstamets View Post
    Yes, thanks, I realize the lithiums are quite the rage and people are going with Victrons and such to accommodate them. My boat experience could be clouding my judgement here, but the same trends to AGM and now Lithium big topics to cruisers. For the weight, cost, and ability to abuse, when these factory 12volts die, I'll probably go back to my trusty Trojan 6 volts. I'm willing to learn though. Besides maintenance, what other advantages would Lithium have for my small rig and our low consumption (even with half the battery bank I feel rich compared too the boat where we couldn't use a propane fridge).
    I could give that question a shot, but the better person is my friend and fellow moderator TucsonJim . He's got a "Battery 101" primer posted here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ithium-battery as a start.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I've used both the power max boondocker and progressive dynamics, both with great results. I'd recommend Randy at www.bestconverter.com. He really knows his product and will get you what you need.
      This is good advice. I used the Boondocker on my previous trailer and just swaped out my WFCO for a Progress Dynamics. Both have much better charging circuitry than the WFCO, and I found the internal cooling fan ran much less. My Reflection has the converter located in the front pass through storage which eliminates and fan noise.

Keep the old WFCO and use as a bench 12vdc supply, or it makes a great stand alone battery charger.
      2020 Reflection 273MK
      2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

We also use the progressive dynamics converter mounted in the pass-through. So nice to not listen to the generator run for 5 hours/day to charge the lead acid battery that came with the rig. With lithium and an appropriate converter, we can boondock for two days with a single 100ah battery and charge quickly when needed. With our relocation I've purchased the electric Worx robot lawn mower and Worx walk behind mower for trimming. Really getting on board with the benefits of high density lithium batteries, though I'm staying with a petroleum powered TV for many more years.

Jim

Comment

Now there's the explanation of lithium benefit I was looking for, quicker charging. Something to consider if the solar can't keep up. Thanks all.
          Russell and Kathy Stamets (and Lola the St Bernard)
          2021 Imagine XLS 17mke
          2015 F150 XLT 5L 4 x 4

Comment

2021 grand design imagine xls 17mke, wfco 8735 power converter - Does anyone know if the breaker for the water heater is also for the battery charger? The breakers are labeled, but no label for batt charger.
            Why do I ask? Because I think I have a problem with the water heater electric mode. On propane it's fine. But whenever the water heater breaker is on, even if the water heater is switched off at the panel, the power converter fan runs continuously. So I've left it off and just used hot water on propane mode. But after a night the batteries were down just a little bit typical with the little DC usage that we had overnight. As soon as I flipped the breaker on (and of course the fan starts running) the batteries instantly show charged hence the question about whether the water heater breaker switch also controls the battery charger. I'll worry about the electric mode on the water heater after we get back from this trip but I just want to figure out how to manage my battery charging in the meantime .
            Thanks
            Russell Stamets
            Russle - Good morning

I am running 4 -6V deep cycle Crown CR 260 led/acid batterys. The manufacturer made it clear that they could benefit from a special charging profile. Your led/acid might too. I also wanted an inverter. So after much research looking at separate special chargers (Lithium capable) and inverters, I just went with a combined Victron MultiPlus unit. Its actually cheaper than all the parts put together and fully programmable for all battery types. It did take a few folks here to convince me of that, but in the end thier advice was spot on. I then just disconnected the stock converter. No more fan noise inside the unit as I have my MultiPlus in the front bay. If you look up my install thread toward the end I showed how to disconnect the stock converter.

Hope this helps.

Keith

BTW when you do your solar install I recommend the Victron MPPT controllers (be sure to size correctly) - they too can be programed for various battery types. Lots and Lots of info on that on the solar section here.
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Now there's the explanation of lithium benefit I was looking for, quicker charging. Something to consider if the solar can't keep up. Thanks all.

Yeah I really think that's one of the under discussed benefits of lithium. Each one takes usually 100 amps or more of charge, and if you have multiple in parallel that goes up. I've got 125 amps of charge from my Victron and an extra 100 amp converter as a backup, I can pump out a lot of charge in a short time.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Yoda , for your wisdom, grateful I am
                The integrated Victron unit is very appealing. I think I can overcome my past aversion to multi function units where if it breaks, multiple functions are lost. I'll look at your install thread and proceed from there.
                2021 Imagine XLS 17mke
                2015 F150 XLT 5L 4 x 4

Comment

The integrated Victron unit is very appealing. I think I can overcome my past aversion to multi function units where if it breaks, multiple functions are lost. I'll look at your install thread and proceed from there.
                  Yeah I get that, and I did once have the charger portion of a multiplus fail (in warranty). Was a hassle to only be able to charge with the factory converter, and since then I've added a 100 amp lithium converter for a backup, but I haven't had to use it since and I've not seen anyone else ever have that kind of failure.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I'm just throwing this out there, so take it for what it's worth.

Many foreign companies are trying to break into the LiFePO4 market. Amazon has a 200 amp hour, 12V LiFePO4 battery for sale for $750. To get similar amp hour capacity out of a Trojan T-105, you'd have to purchase four of them. Those four T-105's would cost approximately $945 and would weigh 248 pounds vs. the 46 pounds of the Zoom battery I'm linking to below. Will Prowse is a YouTube battery source and he tore down one of the 100aH Zoom batteries and was very pleased with the quality. With a five year, no questions asked warranty, I'd certainly consider one of these batteries in the future.

https://amazon.com/Zooms-LiFePO4-Pho...8024986&sr=8-9

Jim
                    Jim and Ginnie
                    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I also looked at the what if it fails mode. If it does I just pull the 2 120Volt cables (120V in and 120V to distribution panel) and splice (wire nut together and re hook up the stock converter - maybe a 15 minute job. For your small 30 amp trailer it can power everything - up to you battery capacity.

Hope this helps
                      Keith
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                        I'm just throwing this out there, so take it for what it's worth.

Many foreign companies are trying to break into the LiFePO4 market. Amazon has a 200 amp hour, 12V LiFePO4 battery for sale for $750. To get similar amp hour capacity out of a Trojan T-105, you'd have to purchase four of them. Those four T-105's would cost approximately $945 and would weigh 248 pounds vs. the 46 pounds of the Zoom battery I'm linking to below. Will Prowse is a YouTube battery source and he tore down one of the 100aH Zoom batteries and was very pleased with the quality. With a five year, no questions asked warranty, I'd certainly consider one of these batteries in the future.

https://amazon.com/Zooms-LiFePO4-Pho...8024986&sr=8-9

Jim
                        You trying to spend my money again? . I guessed right - by the time I wear out my 4-6V Crowns they will have 500AH for the same price (about 5 to 10 years) - just need to wait patiently. And I heard there is a US production plant being built for LiFePO4 batterys . I wonder what will happen when it comes on line?

Thanks for the information Jim
                        Keith

Comment

Well, since I have some time, maybe the US LiPos will show up. And just to give the Trojan T105s their fair shake, the 4 I had on my boat provided a 450 amp hour bank for a price in 2018 of $500. They do weigh 62 lbs each. I had 6 years on the set before that with hard use in the tropics that were still in great shape when Irma took them. Are the lithiums old enough to know how they will last?
                          2021 Imagine XLS 17mke
                          2015 F150 XLT 5L 4 x 4

Comment

Well, since I have some time, maybe the US LiPos will show up. And just to give the Trojan T105s their fair shake, the 4 I had on my boat provided a 450 amp hour bank for a price in 2018 of $500. They do weigh 62 lbs each. I had 6 years on the set before that with hard use in the tropics that were still in great shape when Irma took them. Are the lithiums old enough to know how they will last?
                            If you have a Crown battery dealer close check out thier CR260 6V (260AH each). It has more power that the Trojan 145 (bigger than 105) and at a much better price. I don't have a crown dealer close, and the factory direct shipped to me. About 50% cheaper than the 145 from my local dealer that did not offer discounts.

Just a thought

Comment

As a Trojan T105 owner, I'm sure you already know this, but I'm repeating it for anyone else who is considering purchasing them or similar batteries. Trojan recommends that their T105 batteries be discharged to no less than 50% of their capacity. So a 450 amp hour battery bank has a recommended useable capacity of 225 amp hours. Also, Trojan states that the batteries can be safely discharged by 80% if needed, but it's not recommended. So in a pinch, the 450 amp hour bank could put out 360 amp hours without damage.

Jim
                              Jim and Ginnie
                              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                              X