Powered cord reel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powered cord reel

Ok, so. First question from the new guy. I've been lurking and occasionally posting on the "other" forum for a couple of years. Just now figured out this one was here. My question falls under the heading of, 'as we get older'. Bluntly, my shoulders are bad. Just had surgery on one and expect to have on the other once I can use the first one again.

The 50amp power cord is painful to coil to say the least. I know that several have installed Morryde's hand crank cord reel in the under the bed exterior compartment. But, I'd really like to put the powered reel sold by Morryde (REEL56-014H) in this space. The obvious issue is that I'll need to connect to a 12v (10amp) source - in a moving slide. I'm not too worried about drawing the 10 amps from something else as we'll only use this reel when setting up or at the end of tearing down. So, the wiring for the reading lights should work fine. Just not sure how to get to them without screwing up the whole, it's a moving slide thing.

Suggestions?
    thanks!
    Geoffrey & Beth
    Current:
    2021 Reflection 315RLTS, dual pane, 2 A/C, W/D - Hensley Arrow
    2021 F-250 Lariat 6.7 Turbo Diesel SRW High Cap Tow - Air Ride
    Previous:
    2019 Imagine 2600RB (RIP Feb 2021)
    2013 Chevy Suburban 1500 w/ factory air OR 2014 Silverado 1500 traded-in

The wiring for the reading lights is small gauge and I wouldn't think it would be up to the task for 10 amps. If mounting the reel in the pass-through storage space would block access to that area from one side, think about heavier gauge wiring to a connector at the pass-trough opening and a cable to the power reel to plug into it for use.

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

gabathey
      Hi Gabby,

Welcome to our owners technical forum . . . glad you found us!

I am not completely familiar with the 315RLTS (other moderators are and will likely be along shortly) but the power supply transfers to a moveable slide through a folding conduit under the slide. Where this enters the slide is usually accessible and would be a good place to tap in.

Something to consider . . . do you always need 50A (actually 100A at 120V)? . . . or would 30A be sufficient? Our Reflection is wired for 50A, but with a single AC it is seldom that we need more than 30A. A 30A cord is much easier to handle.

(another) Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

gabathey ,
        As I mentioned in our PM exchange, the main issue is the bedroom slide moves. It might be a challenge to route wires sufficient enough to power the reel that won't snag on the slide room's support rollers or have another wire-related issues down the road.

How about a small 12v battery in the compartment to run the cord winder? Recharge the battery as needed off of 120vAC. There's usually a 15A outlet that is "free" on a campground pedestal.

Howard

P.S. Glad you found us, too!
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks! Three good suggestions thus far. Just not the, "yep, this is easy" answers I was hoping for.
          1. mount under the bed, run a smaller cord to the main passthrough for power during set up/tear down. Not a bad option, just an extra step every set up and tear down.
          2. Just us a 30A power supply. Also, not a bad option most of the year. But, we live in Texas. So, have 2AC's as well as washer and dryer...
          3. mount a small 12v battery in the compartment with the reel. Take out to recharge as needed. Or, conceivably, run a 120vAC extension cord to the battery from the pedestal as needed.

Anyone else?
          thanks!
          Geoffrey & Beth
          Current:
          Previous:

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
            The wiring for the reading lights is small gauge and I wouldn't think it would be up to the task for 10 amps.

Rob
            Hmm, good point. Looks like I'll need a 12ga or so wire for this. I'll be the light wires are either 16 or 20ga.

thanks!
            Geoffrey & Beth
            Current:
            Previous:

Comment

Originally posted by gabathey View Post

Hmm, good point. Looks like I'll need a 12ga or so wire for this. I'll be the light wires are either 16 or 20ga.
              Grand Design wires most of the 12V circuits with 14ga (what I would call) "lamp cord". More than they need for lighting circuits but makes all their wiring common. You should have at least one of these circuits to the slide, fused at 10A in the main panel.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

@Cate&Rob, I'd be comfortable taping 14ga for the short distance and time period we're talking about - particularly if fused at 10ga. I can figure that part out pretty easily. But, do you have any idea where that circuit runs and how to access it from the outside storage compartment?

thanks!
                Geoffrey & Beth
                Current:
                Previous:

Comment

gabathey

Geoffrey, I don't want to dissuade you from installing the cord reel but if it becomes too much of a hassle finding power for it...
                  I have the powered MORryde reel in my Solitude and honestly, it's a toss-up between using the reel and just coiling the cord up on the ground and tossing it into the storage bay. In fact, that's what I typically do for overnight stays. My cord reel is mounted to the ceiling of the basement passthrough in my 5th wheel. The factory mounted it right in the middle of the opening which blocked access so I moved it to the side. Even so, I have to carefully wind the cord on the reel or it takes up too much space on the reel and the cord will hit the ceiling as it nears the end.

If I had a bad shoulder, I'd probably just wind the cord up in the basement so I didn't have to lift the entire coiled cord. If the cord reel was installed in it own locker like in a Class A, I think it would be more useful. But in my case, the cord reel probably takes up more space then just tossing the cord into the basement. I connect power first and remove power last so the cord isn't really in the way when I toss it in without using the reel.

That's my $.02. Others LOVE the powered cord reels!
                  Last edited by bertschb; 07-22-2021, 07:11 PM.
                  Brian & Kellie
                  2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                  2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                  2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                  2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by gabathey View Post
                    @Cate&Rob, I'd be comfortable taping 14ga for the short distance and time period we're talking about - particularly if fused at 10ga. I can figure that part out pretty easily. But, do you have any idea where that circuit runs and how to access it from the outside storage compartment?

I am not familiar with the slide that you are talking about, but you should be able to locate where power transfers to the slide. Either folding outside underneath if it is slide driven by a through-the-frame mechanism or folding underneath the inside flange if it is a Schwintek slide. This would be the place to start in tracing the wiring towards outlets or lights in the slide.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
                      gabathey

Geoffrey, I don't want dissuade you from installing the cord reel but if it becomes too much of a hassle finding power for it...
                      I have the powered MORryde reel in my Solitude and honestly, it's a toss-up between using the reel and just coiling the cord up on the ground and tossing it into the storage bay. In fact, that's what I typically do for overnight stays. My cord reel is mounted to the ceiling of the basement passthrough in my 5th wheel. The factory mounted it right in the middle of the opening which blocked access so I moved it to the side. Even so, I have to carefully wind the cord on the reel or it takes up too much space on the reel and the cord will hit the ceiling as it nears the end.

If I had a bad shoulder, I'd probably just wind the cord up in the basement so I didn't have to lift the entire coiled cord. If the cord reel was installed in it own locker like in a Class A, I think it would be more useful. But in my case, the cord reel probably takes up more space then just tossing the cord into the basement. I connect power first and remove power last so the cord isn't really in the way when I toss it in without using the reel.

Brian and I have seen eye-to-eye on absolutely everything... until this topic. I really like the powered cord reel in our rig - especially in the winter (Brian and Kelly like to hang out where it's 117 degrees). I had to learn not to hit my head on it when reaching in for my utility tubs, but never required stitches. I keep a heavy 90-degree adapter on the trailer end to reduce stress on everything. When I get ready to put the cord away, I lay that adapter down along the front wall (it won't fit on the reel anyway) and reel the cord in until the slack is taken up and the door will close. I hold the switch with one hand and guide the cord with the other with a rag that wipes off anything the cord might want to bring into the basement. If Brian had problems with his shoulders rather than his knees, he might feel differently (love you, Brian!).

Rob
                      Rob & Laura
                      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                      2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                      (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
                        If Brian had problems with his shoulders rather than his knees, he might feel differently (love you, Brian!).
                        Don't jinx me Rob. My shoulders are one of the few original parts on my body that still work OK.
                        Brian & Kellie
                        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
                          gabathey

Geoffrey, I don't want dissuade you from installing the cord reel but if it becomes too much of a hassle finding power for it...

Prior to about December of 2020, I'd have been firmly in your boat on this. I've had 3 knee surgeries and 2 foot surgeries in the past. This shoulder thing is enough to make a fella want to give up some days. I've got to cut out the lifting as much as possible.

That said, I don't want to do something crazy - probably
                          thanks!
                          Geoffrey & Beth
                          Current:
                          Previous:

Comment

gabathey

When I did a USB mod I took a picture of the 12v wire source. Remove the bottom of the underbed storage and the wires are on the floor. Not 100% applicable but the full thread (where the pic below was used) is here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ded-in-bedroom

Click image for larger version

Name:	underbed storage.JPG
Views:	418
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	61266
                            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson Thanks, that at least shows me where to start. Seem like the back wall of the outside compartment might be another if it’s screwed on from that side.
                              thanks!
                              Geoffrey & Beth
                              Current:
                              Previous:

Comment

Working...
                              X