Help- BMV-712 install fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help- BMV-712 install fail

Warning- serious Newbie. I have a 2018 220RK. I purchased the Victron BMV-712 battery monitor and hubby took a stab at install using the included instructions, apparently not very successfully. We charged both batteries to full on the battery charger prior to the install so I could do the setup. I went on a week long boondock. Somehow we managed to hook it up so the batteries were not charging on the generator like I thought. I didn't see any change on solar but it wasn't ideal conditions so I didn't think anything of it. During my camping trip, I had a false sense of security when I periodically checked my app it said my batteries were between 80 and 100%. One evening in the middle of my stay the lights dimmed and the refrigerator looked like a disco with the lights blinking. I shut it off thinking maybe my propane was low. I checked the tank and it still showed green and the stove lit just fine. The refrigerator wouldn't power up on gas after I turned it back on, so I knew I definitely I had a big problem. I powered up the generator and fortunately, the refrigerator ran fine on AC so it wasn’t lifeless. I thought maybe I had a corroded battery post with a bad connection, so we cleaned them all and hooked it back up. Wasn’t that. Finally tested them and both batteries tested fully discharged. We tried charging the batteries with a regular battery charger, but as a result of the discharge, both batteries are toast and they won't hold a charge for long. Looks like I will be replacing both. Before I do that I am looking for specific installation instructions for the battery monitor to get everything hooked back up correctly so I don't fry the new batteries too. Not enough knowledge to feel comfortable messing with it again on my own since the first time was a big fat fail. I’m fearful to mess anything up any further by wiring it up wrong again and doing damage to something. Clearly, an electrician I’m not, and all of those wires in the front compartment are overwhelming. I can't find any videos online that show step by step where all the wires go, likely because there are so many variables from rig to rig. I have been searching to find specific wiring instructions but haven’t found anything but general overviews of completed installs. I did see some nice set ups and I do like the bus bar idea that I saw on one video as that seems to organize and alleviate so many connections on the shunt post.
    Any suggestions where I can find a "BMV-712 battery monitor wiring for dummies on a 220RK" or a mentor that can walk me through this?
    Julie and Rudy the Terrier
    2018 220RK
    Andersen Rail Mount Hitch
    2020 Ford F150 Super Crew - heavy duty towing and heavy duty payload package

Hi Julann,

The Battery Shunt (the big heavy thing with two honking big screws) goes inbetween the Battery Negative post, and the battery Negative cable:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1491-screenshot-2019-02-28-09-55-06-1.png
Views:	1213
Size:	552.7 KB
ID:	61278

There should be NOTHING inbetween the battery, and the Shunt. Otherwise it will not get measured..

You mention two batteries. Again, you'd need to connect your battery bank thru the Shunt before hitting the Bus Bar's:

Name:	attachment.php?attachmentid=183685&d=1547283694.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	61279

Does this help?

By the way, it almost sounds like you have a poor ground connection, not a bad battery. I would check that. (Them not holding a charge is a different issue)
    Mike
    2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Julann

One more resource:

Demo on Victron BMV-712 Battery Monitor for Your RV, Skoolie or Van [A Guide] with Garret Towne from AMSolar

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Julann - Let us know the approximate area where you live and maybe one of our forum members can help you out in person. If you're near Tucson, let me know and I can take a look at your set up.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Julann View Post
          Warning- serious Newbie. I have a 2018 220RK. I purchased the Victron BMV-712 battery monitor and hubby took a stab at install using the included instructions, apparently not very successfully. We charged both batteries to full on the battery charger prior to the install so I could do the setup. I went on a week long boondock. Somehow we managed to hook it up so the batteries were not charging on the generator like I thought. I didn't see any change on solar but it wasn't ideal conditions so I didn't think anything of it. During my camping trip, I had a false sense of security when I periodically checked my app it said my batteries were between 80 and 100%. One evening in the middle of my stay the lights dimmed and the refrigerator looked like a disco with the lights blinking. I shut it off thinking maybe my propane was low. I checked the tank and it still showed green and the stove lit just fine. The refrigerator wouldn't power up on gas after I turned it back on, so I knew I definitely I had a big problem. I powered up the generator and fortunately, the refrigerator ran fine on AC so it wasn’t lifeless. I thought maybe I had a corroded battery post with a bad connection, so we cleaned them all and hooked it back up. Wasn’t that. Finally tested them and both batteries tested fully discharged. We tried charging the batteries with a regular battery charger, but as a result of the discharge, both batteries are toast and they won't hold a charge for long. Looks like I will be replacing both. Before I do that I am looking for specific installation instructions for the battery monitor to get everything hooked back up correctly so I don't fry the new batteries too. Not enough knowledge to feel comfortable messing with it again on my own since the first time was a big fat fail. I’m fearful to mess anything up any further by wiring it up wrong again and doing damage to something. Clearly, an electrician I’m not, and all of those wires in the front compartment are overwhelming. I can't find any videos online that show step by step where all the wires go, likely because there are so many variables from rig to rig. I have been searching to find specific wiring instructions but haven’t found anything but general overviews of completed installs. I did see some nice set ups and I do like the bus bar idea that I saw on one video as that seems to organize and alleviate so many connections on the shunt post.
          Any suggestions where I can find a "BMV-712 battery monitor wiring for dummies on a 220RK" or a mentor that can walk me through this?
          Julann - glad you found this place. The link to my install that I talked to you about (other site) is https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/5...-mess-up/page8 Look at post 117 (picture below) Black wire heading up from the shunt is the battery connection, Black wire to the left is to the negative buss bar and black wire from there is to ground. I have not tied in the power or communication cable in this picture.

GD's ground is a mess. In the same picture to the right of the shunt is a large blue wire nut. There are a bunch of GD ground wires going to this nut with one small ground wire cumming out attached to the frame, you will find this nut buried in the wires below GD's covered positive bus bar

Name:	IMG_0591s.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	61321

Name:	IMG_0546s.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	61322
          Converter wiring. Wiring comes from the converter and ties to the bottom breaker. A second wire also ties to this breaker (orange wire nut)

Name:	IMG_0641s.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	61323

As my multiplus does not need this stock converter (cant use with it) I just disconnected the wires. The silver box is the converter if your wondering.
          I am showing you this so you can check the converter wiring to make sure it is still attached and breaker is on. You can also pull the converter out to verify the fuses are still good or pull the whole distribution panel out if needed.

Name:	IMG_0544s.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	61324
          By removing the trim/cover and the unscrewing the unit it can be pulled forward for full access. I suspect the fuses on the back of the converter may be blown based on your description of events.

Hope this helps
          Keith

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thank you so much everyone for all of the support you have given. I believe between all of your hints, tips, and pictures- and a fluke find of a quick installation guide online and a lot of logical pondering- we have success!! After we got it hooked up, we we used a tester to confirm incoming current both on the shore power and the solar panel (we managed to get that right too I think). I have yet to test it on the generator, but I can't imagine it would be any different than the shore power result. We are going to try to salvage the batteries in case there is any life left. The diagram we used shows a mid point monitor so we hooked that up from a positive post to B2. Do I need that?

Mike- we did find where it is securely grounded to the trailer compartment wall.

Jim, thanks for the offer for onsite help- please let me know when you will arrive in Michigan and I will help you find a new house on my street.

@Kieth- If the batteries are charging (as per the tester) can I assume the converter is ok and no fuses are blown? We did pull that unit out during my camp to see if we could find the fuses but the did not find them. They must be hidden well. Here is a converter question: Should there be a breaker in the panel for the converter? Also, in all my research, people said that the single stage converters are not ideal and could overcharge the batteries if plugged in for extended periods (not sure what that equates to-days/weeks?). Should I put it on my short list to switch that out to a multi stage converter?

I'd post pictures but I'm not sure how to do that.
            Julie and Rudy the Terrier
            2018 220RK
            Andersen Rail Mount Hitch
            2020 Ford F150 Super Crew - heavy duty towing and heavy duty payload package

Comment

Working...
            X