Question about running an inverter while traveling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about running an inverter while traveling

I have an inverter in my 2020 Grand Design 397TH to convert 12v DC to 120v AC. I also have a single solar panel to charge the RV battery.

I believe while traveling both the tow vehicle and the solar panel will charge the RV battery. My question is, will I cause any damage to the tow vehicle or solar system if I run the inverter on travel days so I can keep power to my refrigerator?
    2021 GD Momentum 397TH-R
    2020 Ford F350
    US Army Veteran

Rivers To Ridges RV
    https://youtu.be/2WvBFKhFIZg

Originally posted by DMacLeod View Post
    I have an inverter in my 2020 Grand Design 397TH to convert 12v DC to 120v AC. I also have a single solar panel to charge the RV battery.

I believe while traveling both the tow vehicle and the solar panel will charge the RV battery. My question is, will I cause any damage to the tow vehicle or solar system if I run the inverter on travel days so I can keep power to my refrigerator?
    I have a small beer fridge in mine. I always turn on the inverter while traveling to keep my adult beverages at the proper temperature. But I have 800 watts of solar keeping the batteries topped off. The only possible issue would be that you're using more power than you're replacing. Just check your battery's state of charge from time to time to assure yourself this is not the case. One of the forum moderators howson installed a DC to DC charger to keep his batteries up to charge while rolling down the road with his large residential style refrigerator.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Most of the modern trucks have a limited ability to provide 12v power via the 7 pin plug. Sort of like using a really small and long garden hose to fill up your pool. Even with an upgraded alternator the wiring is usually the limiting factor.
      2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by DMacLeod View Post

What is the make and model of your refrigerator? If it's an absorption (aka "RV") refrigerator, it will use more power on 120vAC than a compressor-driven model (aka "residential").

To read the whole story behind my install, see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...e-battle-borns

Guest installed a 20A version using the existing wiring. I'm sure he'll be along at some point to point you to his info.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

DMacLeod I run my inverter 24/7 even on drive days, and there are no issues there other than as mentioned drawing more than your solar and truck can provide. I measured the output of my factory charging harness with a mostly depleted battery and the solar turned off and only got about 9 amps. Usually its closer to 7. Thats with dual alternators and while under way and everything "spun up". Howard is exactly right, if you are running your RV fridge off the inverter expect to arrive with dead batteries (depending on how much battery you have). I have also done the DC to DC charger and I like it so much I recommend people do it before installing solar. Its amazing for back to back drive days in the rain when we are only doing Walmart or dry camping stops.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I've never turned mine off except to add another outlet to the circuit.
            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
            Nash County, NC
            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

What is the make and model of your refrigerator? If it's an absorption (aka "RV") refrigerator, it will use more power on 120vAC than a compressor-driven model (aka "residential").

To read the whole story behind my install, see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...e-battle-borns

Guest installed a 20A version using the existing wiring. I'm sure he'll be along at some point to point you to his info.

Howard
              Hi there. Catching up.

I run a Renogy 20A unit from my 7 pin connector. The Renogy is triggered through the Imagine marker lights to allow for control since we travel in daylight hours. For those that wish to do this, check the wiring of the tow vehicle and/or what the charge circuit is fused to. Having some inside info at the time on my TV revealed a circuit that is good for 35amps and fused to 30 amps. I tested the Renogy on the driveway before installing in the Imagine where I had seen startup current at around 27 amps and a running current that is slightly higher than 20amps. Its also a good idea to keep the 7 pin connector clean for good charge efficiency.

For our use, the Renogy is used while traveling to a dry camp to top off the Lithium battery where it will be switched off on the return trip to help discharge the battery to a 50-60% SOC for storage. Battery function can be monitored in the TV while traveling through the Victron BMV712.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Comment

Working...
              X