Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Imagine 17 MKE - Inverter to 110 plug in pass through.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagine 17 MKE - Inverter to 110 plug in pass through.

I have a 2000 watt inverter in my pass thru and there is an 110 volt receptacle there also. I have moved the converter off the plugs circuit breaker so the only thing on that breaker are the plugs. Is it correct to come off my inverter into a male jack into the receptacle in the pass thru when we are disconnected from shore power? What issues do you see?
    Thank you for your help.
    Jeff & Pam
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

That’s called a suicide plug for a reason.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
      That’s called a suicide plug for a reason.
      Never heard the term.
      Jeff & Pam
      2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

So I looked up the term. Would the option be to then hook up the external shore power cord to the inverter with a proper pigtail and then turn off all the breakers but the Main and the house plug circuit?
        Otherwise it is taking off the bottom enclosure to run cables to the power module and installing a transfer switch on the other end of the trailer.
        Jeff & Pam
        2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Originally posted by prahawalker View Post
          So I looked up the term. Would the option be to then hook up the external shore power cord to the inverter with a proper pigtail and then turn off all the breakers but the Main and the house plug circuit?
          Otherwise it is taking off the bottom enclosure to run cables to the power module and installing a transfer switch on the other end of the trailer.
          John is right, thats called a suicide plug and is a bad idea. You are correct, your two options are plug the trailers shore cord into the inverter, or wire in a transfer switch. I have seen it both ways, the transfer switch is automatic, and allows use of the circuits while under way (refrigerator etc), the shore cord method is cheaper and has less items that could fail. We did my father in laws with the shore cord method, but mounted an exterior outlet on the side of his trailer that was plugged into the inverter. That way he just runs the shore cord up to that and plugs it in. We also pulled cable up to the refrigerators and converter and installed a light switch in the inverter compartment so he could kill power to those circuits before plugging into the inverter.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

John is right, thats called a suicide plug and is a bad idea. You are correct, your two options are plug the trailers shore cord into the inverter, or wire in a transfer switch. I have seen it both ways, the transfer switch is automatic, and allows use of the circuits while under way (refrigerator etc), the shore cord method is cheaper and has less items that could fail. We did my father in laws with the shore cord method, but mounted an exterior outlet on the side of his trailer that was plugged into the inverter. That way he just runs the shore cord up to that and plugs it in. We also pulled cable up to the refrigerators and converter and installed a light switch in the inverter compartment so he could kill power to those circuits before plugging into the inverter.
            Thank you both. For now I will use the external method. I looked into pulling cable from the front pass thru to the converter in the back of the trailer but I'm not ready to tackle that yet. Maybe when I get a Victron Inverter/Charger in the future. That will be the time to "fold the belly of the beast" back.

Thank you again.
            Jeff & Pam
            2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Thank you both. For now I will use the external method. I looked into pulling cable from the front pass thru to the converter in the back of the trailer but I'm not ready to tackle that yet. Maybe when I get a Victron Inverter/Charger in the future. That will be the time to "fold the belly of the beast" back.

Thank you again.
              Yeah we did it with the entire coroplast down. Piece of cake then. The exterior outlet worked nice though. Easy to run the shore cord up and just plug it into the side of the trailer.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I have a 2000 watt inverter in my pass thru and there is an 110 volt receptacle there also. I have moved the converter off the plugs circuit breaker so the only thing on that breaker are the plugs. Is it correct to come off my inverter into a male jack into the receptacle in the pass thru when we are disconnected from shore power? What issues do you see?
                Thank you for your help.
                How did you wire your inverter? I'm looking into getting g one and mounting it in the pass through but not sure where or how to hook it up on the battery. My batteries are outside in the front.
                Towing vehicle is a 2021 ram 1500 hemi etorque. The trailer is a 2021 imagine xls 21bhe

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchy View Post

How did you wire your inverter? I'm looking into getting g one and mounting it in the pass through but not sure where or how to hook it up on the battery. My batteries are outside in the front.
                  I moved my lithium batteries underneath the front couch next to the wall separating the passthrough from the inside. I then used 2/0 wire to cable from the Victron bus bar to the inverter. If I left the batteries on the outside, I would suggest mounting the inverter on the passenger side of the passthrough and taking off the bottom cover at the front right corner to find a path to the outside. My batteries were connected there on a 30 amp bus fuse. Run the wire all the way to the batteries. (Fused of course)
                  Jeff & Pam
                  2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

Working...
                  X