110v outlet with USB in Imagine 2150RB slide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 110v outlet with USB in Imagine 2150RB slide

I work from my trailer quite a bit and there was no outlet in the slide. Well the fridge is right there so mounted a remodel rough in and a junction box in the fridge compartment. Also replaced the junk outlet they use for the fridge. It was easy except they don't give you much play in the main run and it's strand wire. I used Romex instead for the new runs. Check out the pics...

Nice work. What is that big white junction box laying on the floor used for?

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by jk5443 View Post
      I work from my trailer quite a bit and there was no outlet in the slide. Well the fridge is right there so mounted a remodel rough in and a junction box in the fridge compartment. Also replaced the junk outlet they use for the fridge. It was easy except they don't give you much play in the main run and it's strand wire. I used Romex instead for the new runs. Check out the pics...
      Hello and welcome to Grand Design's (Technical) Owner's Forum! There's a Welcome Letter for New Members that can help explain how to navigate this place (hopefully make it easier) here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

You're new, so not sure if you're an Electrical Engineer of weekend shadetree electrician (like me), so the following may (or may not) be applicable.

The reason GD uses stranded wire behind the refrigerator is so there is flexible wire in the slideout. Underneath the slide is a connector called a molex which transitions from the standard Romex to the flexible stranded. Hopefully the new Romex installed is not subject to bending when the slide room moves? If it does, consider looking at this again to avoid having an issue in the future due to the "oil can" affect of the slide movement on the new wiring.

I think it's pretty cool that your first post is a mod, so I hope you take my input as a friendly one that is meant to help. I also hope you'll continue to post.

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	Molex (Large).jpg
Views:	384
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	62429
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
        Nice work. What is that big white junction box laying on the floor used for?

Jim
        Hi Jim, that junction box is used to split the feed since there was so little cable to work with where it came into the fridge compartment.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Hello and welcome to Grand Design's (Technical) Owner's Forum! There's a Welcome Letter for New Members that can help explain how to navigate this place (hopefully make it easier) here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

You're new, so not sure if you're an Electrical Engineer of weekend shadetree electrician (like me), so the following may (or may not) be applicable.

The reason GD uses stranded wire behind the refrigerator is so there is flexible wire in the slideout. Underneath the slide is a connector called a molex which transitions from the standard Romex to the flexible stranded. Hopefully the new Romex installed is not subject to bending when the slide room moves? If it does, consider looking at this again to avoid having an issue in the future due to the "oil can" affect of the slide movement on the new wiring.

I think it's pretty cool that your first post is a mod, so I hope you take my input as a friendly one that is meant to help. I also hope you'll continue to post.

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	Molex (Large).jpg
Views:	384
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	62429
          Thanks for the info Howard. All the Romex is contained within the fridge compartment, but makes sense now why they use strand. I'm definitely a shade tree electrician but I've been in IT for years and have done tons of cabling and server setups. Also have a full music studio in the downstairs with lots of special wiring. So this one was pretty simple and will come in very handy when I'm working.

Comment

jk5443 Welcome to the family and the forum! This great post has just caused me more work. When I created SWMBO's work space in the slide, I used Romex as I had it on hand and it isn't in a tight space and lots of room to flex. I guess now that I will have to replace it with stranded.. So many dragons.....
            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
            Nash County, NC
            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

This information on installation of an electrical box in my slide was exactly what I was looking for. We removed the chaise seat set up in our 2018 2150RB and replaced it with two electric recliners. They fit perfectly, feel great and they were exactly what we were hoping for! The only problem is having an extension cord run across the floor to power them.

So my question is..... will the work done by jk5443 be a good solution for my situation? We do very little dry camping, 95% of the time in campgrounds. Is the power to the fridge sufficient to add an outlet to power the two recliners? The recliners have no extras like heat or massage and can easily be operated one at a time.

I'm looking forward to any suggestion you can provide.
              v/r,
              Shu

Comment

Shu and Mama Shu -- helps if you "tag" or "quote" the individual being queried. Please take a moment to read through the Welcome Letter to New Members so you know how best to leverage your time here on this forum. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                X