Residential Fridge power question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Residential Fridge power question

We're currently in an RV park with 30amp power. We have a residential fridge that is sitting empty due to a slide problem....see post in slides section. It's starting to get hot here and we want to run our AC unit. I know we can only run one unit at a time, the problem is the power to the entire unit cuts out, then returns after a few minutes. This has never happened before and I thought if the additional power draw from the fridge is causing this intermittent interruption I would turn off the power to the fridge because it's empty.

I flipped the breaker to the fridge off and the converter is off, but the fridge is still running. Not exactly sure why that would be? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks,
    Gary and Carla, "Livin' the Dream!"
    2021 Solitude 390RK-R
    2019 Ford F-350 Lariat, extended cab, 8' box, 6.7L Diesel, SRW

Originally posted by Livin' the Dream View Post
    We're currently in an RV park with 30amp power. We have a residential fridge that is sitting empty due to a slide problem....see post in slides section. It's starting to get hot here and we want to run our AC unit. I know we can only run one unit at a time, the problem is the power to the entire unit cuts out, then returns after a few minutes. This has never happened before and I thought if the additional power draw from the fridge is causing this intermittent interruption I would turn off the power to the fridge because it's empty.

I flipped the breaker to the fridge off and the converter is off, but the fridge is still running. Not exactly sure why that would be? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks,
    Having the "R" residential model you also have an Inverter. This draws battery to Invert and make 120 v ac power that is connected to the fridge. You should have a switch to turn off the Inverter. If you do not turn off the Inverter it will draw your battery down to a bad state. I am not sure where the switch is hopefully you do or another owner will help with that.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

...I flipped the breaker to the fridge off and the converter is off, but the fridge is still running. Not exactly sure why that would be? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks,
      This is just a wild guess on my part based on what I read in the posts above.

The A/C unit runs on 120 volts, but the control circuits operate on 12 volts. So... I understand you turned off the converter, meaning that all 12 volt power is supplied by the battery. I also understand you may be running the refrigerator on an inverter which also consumes battery power. If the 12 volt control circuits are not getting adequate voltage supplied by the battery, (i.e. battery voltage low) then they may not be able to control the A/C. Bottom line, I would turn the converter on and see if the A/C operates normally.

I hope this helps, and if not, I hope you get it figured out!

Bob
      Bob & Lynne

2020 Imagine 2970RL
      2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax

Comment

Living the Dream You may find that the breakers are mis labeled. Not uncommon. Also you want to kill power to the inverter not the converter. Converters make DC power from AC power and Inverters make AC power from DC power. The inverter may not be on a breaker in the main panel, and it could even have it's own sub panel. You may need to find the Inverter and pull the fuses from it to turn off the circuit it powers. Likewise there may be a circuit for the fridge in the breakers, when the fridge circuit looses power, the inverter kicks in, so you will need to disable the inverter first. The inverter may be on the back wall of the basement pass through or the roof of the passthrough.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Livin' the Dream -- related thread here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-on-off-switch

Maybe even more applicable is this one: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...g-refrigerator

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

My inverter switch is in the cabinet with the 12V fuse box.
            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
            Nash County, NC
            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

The inverter switch is my Solitude BH3550-R hidden under a cabinet

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	63223
              Last edited by howson; 08-11-2021, 01:12 PM. Reason: Embedded picture in post.
              U.S. Air Force Retired
              2021 Solitude S-Class 3550BH-R
              2020 F350 SB SRW Platinum

Comment

Livin' the Dream , our inverter switch (momentary switch) is in the front pass thru basement, forward wall, near the battery disconnect. Which , by the way, should remain ON unless you are storing your unit. The inverter itself is mounted to the bottom of the floor in the generator compartment. Look way up, and you will see it. There is a second disconnect on our trailer, specifically for the inverter circuit (according to the label) also way up high in this compartment, above the batteries. We have factory solar (which comes with larger inverter); not sure if we have that second disconnect because of that or if they all have it.

Dave
                Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
                2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
                2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
                2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
                Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

bottom of the floor? Huh? meant the ceiling of the gen compartment
                  Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
                  2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
                  2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
                  2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
                  Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

If the residential fridge is connected to an inverter, you may have a subpanel for the inverter. If you do, a breaker for the fridge will be located on the inverters subpanel as it should be wired through the AC bypass of the inverter. that's where I would shut off the fridge.

If their is no subpanel, there SHOULD be some type of protection circuit between the inverter AC bypass and the fridge. find it and shut off the fridge
                    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Hi all, thanks for the comments above. Its been a busy week. I reread my initial post and I meant to say it was the inverter that is off instead of the converter. I did get a low voltage reading on the Progressive Industries EMS and that caused my AC to cut out. I'll look into the mislabeled breakers and do more research. Thanks
                      2021 Solitude 390RK-R

Comment

I finally got a chance to look at the breakers and sure enough it's labeled wrong!!!
                        2021 Solitude 390RK-R

Comment

Leave the converter on, find the circuit breaker to turn off the frig, and make sure the inverter is off.
                          My frig circuit breaker is mismarked, so just turn off each circuit breaker until you get the right one.
                          If you turn off the main breaker and the frig is still on that means your inverter is on. There should be a switch to turn the inverter off.
                          Mal & Helen
                          With Mitzi our Yorkie
                          2021 Solitude 310GK-R
                          2020 Ford Larriet F250 Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
                          2020 Reflection 303 RLS Sold
                          2019 King Ranch F250 Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed Destroyed by squirrels
                          B&W Companion Slider
                          Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Comment

Working...
                          X