12V Battery Charge Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mpking View Post

Or you can just cut the battery open. :-)

I didn't say the BB is not a quality battery. I stated its over-hyped. You can get just as good a battery for much less than a BB. Why? Because US assembled with Chinese components cost more to produce than an entire imported battery. I also will never rely on any BMS from one of these batteries as a main defense against an issue.

Here is just one example of a better battery IMO which lists what cell is used. When a battery maker posts the cell specs this says something where others typically do not list whats inside. Since I worked with automotive batteries for years, where knowing what cell is inside makes a huge difference. Did Will ID those cells??
    The AIMS 100ah battery with built in Bluetooth is a much better deal as one example. Individual fused cells similar to Tesla. And it even comes with a carry handle.

This vendor will also state widely known facts on storage at 50% SOC and discharges down to 20% SOC to increase longevity. Something that deserves respect as well.

Jim
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 09-30-2021, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Hmm. So it's a matter of construction, not connection. I didn't know 6v batteries were different animals from 12v batteries, other than the voltage obviously.
      mpkingncitro thanks
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
        mpking That price is excellent. I'm intrigued by their claim to use automotive grade cells. Typically all our lithium batteries (even the over-hyped battleborn) use B grade cells. But without information on the cell, all we can do is believe them....sort of anyway.

Jim
        With the prices of 100ah LiFePO4 batteries all over the place, (in Canada - $600-$1500), without breaking out the sawzall, how do you tell the quality of a LiFePO4 battery?
        What makes a manufacturer think their battery is worth over $1K while others are offered for $600? They all say their batteries have super smart, multiple cpu battery management systems.
        Soo...
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
          Here is just one example of a better battery IMO which lists what cell is used. When a battery maker posts the cell specs this says something where others typically do not list whats inside. Since I worked with automotive batteries for years, where knowing what cell is inside makes a huge difference. Did Will ID those cells??
          The AIMS 100ah battery with built in Bluetooth is a much better deal as one example. Individual fused cells similar to Tesla. And it even comes with a carry handle.
          Jim
          I'm considering the SOK LiFePO4 batteries, but took a look at the AIMS batteries. It appears the AIMS batts don't have low-temp protection to prevent charging while below 32°. If I understand correctly, attempting to charge the batts below their rated low temp can damage them or diminish their capacities. We do a fair amount of camping during the colder months in the northern half of the country, so this is a non-starter for us.
          John & Susan
          2019 Ford F-250 CCSB
          2022 Reflection 297RSTS

Comment

Originally posted by jpcarro11 View Post

I'm considering the SOK LiFePO4 batteries, but took a look at the AIMS batteries. It appears the AIMS batts don't have low-temp protection to prevent charging while below 32°. If I understand correctly, attempting to charge the batts below their rated low temp can damage them or diminish their capacities. We do a fair amount of camping during the colder months in the northern half of the country, so this is a non-starter for us.
            jpcarro11

The older version did not have a low temp shut off which for me is no issue since we camp in climates that never get that cold and I have alarms set in my Victron to alert me of any issues. The new model with Bluetooth claims to have a low temp cutoff.

First to address the low temp cut off. It is flawed on all drop in batteries and is mostly useless unless the charge profile is reduced as the battery temperature reaches the cutoff point. AIMs also has what I considered the best charger which would measure battery temperature and adjust the charge profile accordingly. This is the correct way to handle a lithium pack as it approaches the cutoff point. You simply cannot charge at full current and shut down within one degree. It simply does not work that way. For the AIMs converter charger, It could also handle all battery types. Unfortunately, the cooling fan remains on all the time which turned me away. Is this an issue? Not really if the unit is not too loud or located in an area where the noise would not be a factor. I just didn't prefer that the fan was on all the time.

So as a workaround, I located my battery in the pass-through where some heating will occur there. In addition, I use an 0.5C charge strategy which the battery can accept at battery temperatures down to about 40F or so without a custom charge profile. I monitor battery temperature with the Victron BMV712 as well.

I'm also not fond of using the BMS as my sole safety mechanism where based on the 0.5C charge rate, our camping climates and the alarms set in the Victron, I prefer to take action and use the BMS as a secondary protection.

How can you tell if a battery is quality? Its hard, but the warranty claim is one way, however, the disclaimer list is extensive so time will tell who is honoring these 10 year warranties. The other factor for me was to see the vendor list the source of their cells and this is worth something. And Will tearing them apart is also a valuable resource. So one can play it safe and buy the BB and get a good battery. Others are using the Lions Energy and I can testify my AIMs pack was measured to deliver over 100ah capacity with ANSI certified equipment. So it has been delivering.

The other reason I respect AIMs is their suggestions on usage that are widely accepted in the industry. So I'm a bit turned off by some claims that sell but do not help battery longevity.
            For instance, to increase battery longevity, store them at 50% SOC in a cool place and do not run them down below 20% SOC. You can go one step further and operate the battery between 20% and 80% SOC for the longest life. Basically, its best to operate a lithium pack away from its extremes if longevity is important. One way to make this easier is to charge to 100% but begin using the pack right away to move it away from 100% SOC but do not run it below 20% SOC.

Most makers will make claims that its ok to use the full range of the battery and you can do this. Where I have issues is with claims that its acceptable to charge with an alternator (parallel with TV battery) and its ok to use a standard converter charger. They are wrong in these statements where I believe they know better.

Jim

Comment

Working...
            X