Electrical Issues/‘21 2910BH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post
    Obrracing -- an example of a wiring issue causing a problem is documented here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-inop-easy-fix

For clarification, what's apparently happening in the circuit is there's an intermittent open, or as TedS put it, a break in the circuit. If there was a short the fuse would blow.

Since so many different circuits are affected, my suspicion is there's a group of -12v return ("ground") wires causing the issue (similar to what was shown in the linked thread above).

TedS -- I'd never considered the fuse light being inoperative if there is a break in that fuse's circuit. Now that I think about it, that explains why all the slots without fuses don't have their LED lit. (Thanks for the post.)

Howard
    Obrracing

Thanks to Howard mentioning a group of 12V wires being intermittent I had a brainstorm. I am not sure where you trailer is chassis grounded (wire tied to frame), but on my Reflection a whole bunch of ground wires was buried in a big blue nut with just one ground wire coming out. The nut had several wires that were loose inside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0594s.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	64884 This is the blue wire nut I am referring to. It was buried in the black foam sealant. You can see one white wire runing back out the top to the left. It went to a screw on the frame.

Name:	IMG_0595s.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	64885
    A better view of the GD grounding lug which is way undersized for all the wires connected to it.

My fix was to attach each wire to the grounding bar I installed

Name:	IMG_0615s.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	64886
    Each grounding wire to it own tap.

This was a separate grounding connection that the ones in the distribution panel in my 5th wheel. I am not sure where it would be located on your trailer - it could be in the belly or near the battery connection point on the front of your trailer.

Just a thought here - just look for a large wire nut.

Hope this helps
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

If you do not want to fabricate a bus bar as Keith did, there are options available. https://www.amazon.com/Mofeez-Screw-...0599846&sr=8-3 is what I used when cleaning up the grounds on my rig.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Obrracing

Thanks to Howard mentioning a group of 12V wires being intermittent I had a brainstorm. I am not sure where you trailer is chassis grounded (wire tied to frame), but on my Reflection a whole bunch of ground wires was buried in a big blue nut with just one ground wire coming out. The nut had several wires that were loose inside.

Name:	IMG_0594s.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	64884 This is the blue wire nut I am referring to. It was buried in the black foam sealant. You can see one white wire runing back out the top to the left. It went to a screw on the frame.

Name:	IMG_0595s.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	64885
        A better view of the GD grounding lug which is way undersized for all the wires connected to it.

My fix was to attach each wire to the grounding bar I installed

Name:	IMG_0615s.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	64886
        Each grounding wire to it own tap.

This was a separate grounding connection that the ones in the distribution panel in my 5th wheel. I am not sure where it would be located on your trailer - it could be in the belly or near the battery connection point on the front of your trailer.

Just a thought here - just look for a large wire nut.

Hope this helps
        Keith
        Keith,

I remember seeing something similar under my rig. There was also like a silver electrical connection box. Most of the wires outside of it that I recall looked good to go, but I will check more thoroughly when I’m able to bring the rig back home. I do not remember a bunch of black gunk insulating anything. I think I remember being able to see everything, except for some stuff that may have been in the black protection plastic if you will, running under the chassis, up into the rig.

you all have been amazing with the inputs/help.

Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
          If you do not want to fabricate a bus bar as Keith did, there are options available. https://www.amazon.com/Mofeez-Screw-...0599846&sr=8-3 is what I used when cleaning up the grounds on my rig.
          Thanks! If what I find with my limited skills is a mess like Keith says, I will have to look into this.

Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
            Funny - I made that on the spur of the moment using a scrap piece of bar stock I had left over when I realized I needed a separate ground location for the multiplus. I drilled and taped it for the large bolt and lug nut (4/0 connection) and for the white ground wires drilled the holes and used self tapping stainless steel screws and star washers. With the bus bar you linked he will need to remember to run a heavy ground wire to the frame from one of the posts for the negative one. Good solution though.
            Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Obrracing View Post

Keith,

I remember seeing something similar under my rig. There was also like a silver electrical connection box. Most of the wires outside of it that I recall looked good to go, but I will check more thoroughly when I’m able to bring the rig back home. I do not remember a bunch of black gunk insulating anything. I think I remember being able to see everything, except for some stuff that may have been in the black protection plastic if you will, running under the chassis, up into the rig.

you all have been amazing with the inputs/help.

Charlie
              Charlie
              The black gunk foam sealed the hole where the wiring passed from my front bay (I have a 5th wheel). You probably don't have that on your TT, but Ill bet a cup of coffee you have the big wire nut somewhere - possibly inside the silver electrical box you mention. When looking there check for any loose connections and grounds. They may look good, but might be loose inside.

Please post back what you find.
              Keith

Comment

Keith,

I will! I hope to soon…and will definitely keep this thread updated…

Charlie

Comment

Thought I would let everyone know I finally got my appointment and the trailer is in the shop. But, there are 43!!!!!! Trailers ahead of me! May be a bit, but I will post what they say. Charlie

Comment

Update! After three months at the dealer, they finally are going to start and it appears the dealer is going to just rewire the bathroom lights/fan, master bedroom lights and awning lights. I mentioned looking for the master ground connections, but I think they believe these things are too big of a mess (of wires) when you start taking things a part. They got approval from GD to do it. I said as long as everything works, doesn’t look like crap and doesn’t catch on fire!!!!! I should be good. If I wasn’t afraid, I would have checked my master silver/gray electrical box under the frame by the front of the trailer. I may still try to take that apart when I get it back and check things. Maybe they will too when they actually rewire.

Comment

Working...
                    X