Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to add 200W Solar Panel to Factory Solar Package?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to add 200W Solar Panel to Factory Solar Package?

This is my first post ever on a forum, please be kind I couldn't find the same post elsewhere...

I have a the factory solar package as follows:
    1. 300 W Jaboni panel,
    2. Jaboni 30 amp MPPT charge controller, confirmed
    3. Magnum Dimensions 20 amp transfer switch, and
    4. Magnum Dimensions fuse confirmed
    5. the Magnum Dimensions 2,000 W inverter. PN: Csw ts20
    6. Jamboni SOLAR REMOTE DISPLAY FOR MPPT CONTROLLERS
    7. WFCO CONVERTER CHARGER DECKMOUNT 55 AMP DC OUTPUT 15 AMP A/C CORD
    I want to install 200 w Solar panel from Renogy The following unit:
    https://ca.renogy.com/200-watt-12-vo...e-solar-panel/

I asked my dealer to confirm that this is compatible with our setup. I was told to "check directly with the manufacturer to see if this is compatible with the unit on your trailer."

I know that the Jamboni Controller Maximum in-put power is 550 Watts., so my additional panel should be fine. I just want to understand if the Renogy panel is compatible with my existing components including wiring?

Will
    -------------------------------------------
    Will & Karyn
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    2020 GMC 3500 Duramax SRD

Originally posted by WJC View Post
    This is my first post ever on a forum, please be kind I couldn't find the same post elsewhere...

I have a the factory solar package as follows:
    1. 300 W Jaboni panel,
    2. Jaboni 30 amp MPPT charge controller, confirmed
    3. Magnum Dimensions 20 amp transfer switch, and
    4. Magnum Dimensions fuse confirmed
    5. the Magnum Dimensions 2,000 W inverter. PN: Csw ts20
    6. Jamboni SOLAR REMOTE DISPLAY FOR MPPT CONTROLLERS
    7. WFCO CONVERTER CHARGER DECKMOUNT 55 AMP DC OUTPUT 15 AMP A/C CORD
    I want to install 200 w Solar panel from Renogy The following unit:
    https://ca.renogy.com/200-watt-12-vo...e-solar-panel/

I asked my dealer to confirm that this is compatible with our setup. I was told to "check directly with the manufacturer to see if this is compatible with the unit on your trailer."

I know that the Jamboni Controller Maximum in-put power is 550 Watts., so my additional panel should be fine. I just want to understand if the Renogy panel is compatible with my existing components including wiring?

Will
    First of all, welcome to the forum. Your first post is perfect! You listed all the pertinent information to get started.

First question. Do you plan on wiring the new panel in series or parallel with the existing panel? Before answering your questions, we'll need a little information about your Jaboni and proposed Renogy panels.

For each panel, we'll need the following information:

Vmp - Optimum Operating Voltage
    Imp - Optimum Operating Current
    Isc - Short Circuit Current.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Hi Jim

I pulled the following from the manufacturers sites:

JPP-300 300 WATT SOLAR PANEL https://www.jabonipowerproducts.com/...-300_Panel.pdf

RSP200D 200W Monocrystalline Solar Panel https://ca.renogy.com/content/manual/RSP200D.spec.pdf
      Jamboni Renogy
      Vmp = V 32.26 22.6
      Imp = A 9.3 8.85
      Isc = A 9.75 9.66
      Thanks

Will
      Last edited by WJC; 09-01-2021, 07:45 AM.
      Will & Karyn
      2021 Solitude 380FL-R

Comment

The 300W Jaboni panel: Voc: 39.85V, Imp: 9.30

Renogy 200W: Voc: 27v, Imp: 8.85

Solar charge controller can handle up to 550W so you are good there. If you wire the 2 panels in series, your 300W panel suffers efficiency (will only output 8.85 amps instead of the 9.30). If you wire panels in parallel your 300W panel suffers efficiency (will only output 27v instead of 39.85v). You lose more efficiency wiring in parallel. Series will be more efficient however the MPPT charge controller can only handle 45Voc and you would be putting 66.85Voc through it. You would have to wire in parallel.
        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

So, if I considered running in series with a combined Vmp of 55 V. What would the controller do if it's Maximum solar array voltage 45 V?

Thoughts?

Will & Karyn
          2021 Solitude 380FL-R

Comment

Because the solar charge controller has over voltage protection which means it would shut off once the voltage exceeds 55v. In my opinion, parallel is better when possible. With just 2 panels, parallel is a good option and a safe option with your current setup
            Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

One other thing to consider is wire size and how you design the system. If you put them in parallel, your current is additive. Imp is 9.3 amps and 8,85 amps for a total of 18.15 amps. Using the Blue Sea wire size chart, your 10 AWG wire will work with a loss of about 10% voltage drop at a total length of 50 feet from the controller to the panels. Your run is probably shorter than this, so the existing wiring is probably just fine.

JIm
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Thanks, my initial purpose was to "understand if the Renogy panel is compatible with my existing components including wiring?"
                Check , the Renogy 200 w Solar panel wired in parallel is compatible all existing components.

However, I was hoping to increase the wattage from 300W to 500W. According to my calculations, I can expect around 407W (Vmp x Imp => 22.6V x 18A).

I might be better off saving the cash that would be used to purchase and install the new panel and applying that money on a seperate setup with a new wire to the roof and controller with room for solar panel growth.

Opinions welcome, I'm leaning towards the latter

This has been very informative and helpful. Thanks folks!

Will
                Will & Karyn
                2021 Solitude 380FL-R

Comment

Thanks, my initial purpose was to "understand if the Renogy panel is compatible with my existing components including wiring?"
                  Check , the Renogy 200 w Solar panel wired in parallel is compatible all existing components.

However, I was hoping to increase the wattage from 300W to 500W. According to my calculations, I can expect around 407W (Vmp x Imp => 22.6V x 18A).

I might be better off saving the cash that would be used to purchase and install the new panel and applying that money on a seperate setup with a new wire to the roof and controller with room for solar panel growth.

Opinions welcome, I'm leaning towards the latter

This has been very informative and helpful. Thanks folks!

Will
                  Will, If you run a bank of matching panels in series, voltage increases, but current stays the same. For example, if you had four 200 watt panels in Series with Vmp of 20 volts each and Imp of 14 amps each, you'd have an array of 800 watt, 80 volts and 14 amps. Your existing wiring would be sufficient. Your purchase list would include new panels and mounts, and a new controller. If you're interested in going in this direction, I can help you with component selection.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

I agree with TucsonJim. I also think you're better off waiting and replacing with matching panels. You may want to look at RIch 200W panels or Hightec 200W panels. For the price they are a very good option. If you're after a low amperage, high voltage panel, look at the Rich 200W 24v panel. Specs for those panels: Voc: 45.4v, Vmp: 37.6v, Imp: 5.36amps

If you do wire in series, make sure you get a charge controller that can handle the voltage you're running. A big advantage of series is that your wiring is much smaller due to the lower amperage, and your voltage is higher. Disadvantage of series is that all panels act as one panel. If one panel in your series array is covered with a shadow, all panels are, essentially, covered with a shadow.

IF you do parallel, advantages are that each panel acts separately. If one panel is covered by a shadow, that's the only panel that is affected. Disadvantages are that your voltage remains low, and your current is HIGH. Wiring size becomes a major issue.

A good compromise is a series-parallel setup. Lets say you have (6) 200W panels. You can wire 2 panels in series (times 3), then wire the 3 series groups in parallel. This way you can keep your voltage higher, amperage lower and not have every panel suffer if just one is covered by shade. Doing this also helps reduce cost of a charge controller by reducing voltage.
                    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

You guys are awesome! Based upon your guidance, I've decided to plan for new panels/mounts and a new controller. I like the Victron controllers...might do the upgrade in the following phases:
                      1. Design the upgrade
                        • Assume reuse of existing wiring
                        • Design the series-parallel setup based upon equipment limitations
                        • Select Controller and panels for ~ 800 W array
                      2. Purchase and install controller
                      3. Purchase and install new panels and mounts and remove existing panel. Assume that I should purchase all panels at same time...
                      Lots to think about! Thanks again.

Will
                      Will & Karyn
                      2021 Solitude 380FL-R

Comment

You guys are awesome! Based upon your guidance, I've decided to plan for new panels/mounts and a new controller. I like the Victron controllers...might do the upgrade in the following phases:
                        1. Design the upgrade
                        3. Purchase and install new panels and mounts and remove existing panel. Assume that I should purchase all panels at same time...

Will
                        WJC Sounds like a nice setup. I don't see in this thread any info on your battery bank. 800W of solar won't be of much use to you if you don't have a battery bank to match. Just looking out for a common misconception - solar does't actually "run" anything (well... technically it could - but that's a very different topic) - it charges the battery(ies). I would suggest you also consider your battery capacity (and chemistry) in the same project - unless you already have a nice 400Ah LiFePO4 setup!

Just trying to help

Ken & Sandra
                        2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

1. Design the upgrade

Will
                          Will - A couple of years ago I upgraded from three 100 watt panels to eight. I ran two strings of four panels in series and then connected the two strings in parallel right where they exit the roof. I also like Victron. The controller recommended for my set up was the Victron 150/60 MPPT. It's a little pricey, but I really like the Bluetooth capability and can make adjustments via the app. I use the array to keep my three lithium Iron Phosphate (Battle Born) batteries charged up. On a normal day, I'll use and replenish about 130-140 amps. Even on a winter day, I'm typically fully charged back up by 2pm.

Here are a couple photos of my set up:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Series Parallel Path.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	64869

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Interior set up labeled.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	64870

Jim
                          Jim and Ginnie
                          2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

I have 2 x100Ah LiFePO4 on order to replace a pair of flooded batteries. I have upgraded the charger to support LiFePO4.

Plan is to expand the battery bank beyond 200Ah going forward probably after the solar upgrade.
                            Will & Karyn
                            2021 Solitude 380FL-R

Comment

I like what you did Jim! Since I'm starting fresh with panels, I will likely go with 200W panels to save real estate (wires/holes in my roof).

I am installing the Victron BMV-712 Battery Monitor this week. I'm installing the BMV head unit in the panel in the kitchen but fishing the cable is a challenge. Looking forward to having this capability!!

BTW, I have already priced out the Victron 150/70 MPPT.

Next step is the 200W solar panel config.
                              Will & Karyn
                              2021 Solitude 380FL-R

Comment

Working...
                              X