Bathroom Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom Fan

Anybody run wires down the wall and mount a switch for the bathroom fan in a place more accessible for when you are, uh, sitting down?
    Just wondering if fishing the wire down the wall will be a clear shot or if there are things in the way.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

It may be a straight shot since the thermostat is in that wall along with the overhead light switch for the bathroom door.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
      Anybody run wires down the wall and mount a switch for the bathroom fan in a place more accessible for when you are, uh, sitting down?
      Just wondering if fishing the wire down the wall will be a clear shot or if there are things in the way.
      Scott'n'Wendy I'll let you know. I will be attempting this one next week - just received the switch yesterday. As Jlawles2 says - it SHOULD be pretty straightforward.
      Ken & Sandra
      2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

Originally posted by KSC_Travels View Post

Scott'n'Wendy I'll let you know. I will be attempting this one next week - just received the switch yesterday. As Jlawles2 says - it SHOULD be pretty straightforward.
        Cool. Will look forward to your findings. I wasn't going to try for a couple more weeks yet.
        Did you buy a two gang switch or another single?

Comment

Cool. Will look forward to your findings. I wasn't going to try for a couple more weeks yet.
          Did you buy a two gang switch or another single?
          Just a single. I thought about doubling up the existing switch (i.e. 2 gang) - but that looked like it might be a more complicated fish for the wires and I chickened out. So I am going to just place it on the other side of the doorway - where it is more "accessible"

Will let you know how it works out!
          Ken & Sandra

Comment

Maxxair fan with remote
            Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Where did you get your switch. GD?

Maxxair fan...sometimes you might want to have max air movement..lol

Comment

Everyones favorite camper supply store https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one just waiting for a LED install. Just trying to figure out where to steal the power from. Thinking the Radio circuit and run the lights around the back of the trim for the slide.
                Joseph
                Tow
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Where did you get your switch. GD?
                  Or in my case... Amazon.ca with the north of 49 markup - https://www.amazon.ca/JR-Products-12...%2C214&sr=8-10

They also have doubles and triples - if so inclined.
                  Last edited by KSC_Travels; 09-03-2021, 08:58 AM.
                  Ken & Sandra

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy Well I managed to get the bathroom fan switch installed. It wasn't particularly difficult, but the wire fish was a bid tedious.

First I removed the wall switch for the ceiling light over the stairs to confirm nothing in the way of the new switch (there isn't - the wall is hollow with luan panels on each side).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hallway.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	65270

I then removed the inside bathroom vent housing (4 screws) which opened up "kind of" a view into the ceiling. There is fibreglass batt insulation and also had to contend with the AC ducting. However, from that view, it was pretty clear that the ceiling panel(s) runs continuously over top of the door and wall (i.e. it's not open to the inside). Fortunately, I could see an existing penetration for some OEM wires that ran down into the wall from the ceiling (likely AC control and the aforementioned ceiling light - not that it really matters). The attached picture sort of shows the view from the fan area into the ceiling towards the doorway wall. You can just see the OEM wires coming through the hole below the AC ducting. The black wires were the ones I fished through - If you look closely you can sort of see the white and orange OEM wires coming through there as well (sorry - couldn't get the phone camera into the cavity).

Name:	Ceiling fish.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	65271

Now the tedious part... Took me a few attempts, but I was able to bend the end of a steel fish tape in just the right way to get under the AC ducting and then down through that existing hole - making sure no sharp edges so as not to damage the existing wiring. Needed about a 60 degree bend right at the end and if you maneuver it just right it will run up against the OEM wiring and then using them as backing, slide down into the wall. Sounds harder than it was - only took me about 10 minutes of fiddling. Once into the wall cavity it was pretty easy to feed down the wall to the opening for the existing hallway wall switch. Then just pulled a loop of wire back up through that wall to the vent opening.

Now that I had the wires run, I cut the opening in the bathroom wall (sharp utility knife - it's just thin luan) for the new switch. Didn't want to do this until I knew I could run the wires! Then fed the new wires back in from the hallway side to the bathroom side and connected the wires to the new switch (blade connectors). At the fan end, I removed the wires from the existing switch (also blade connectors) and then connected the new and existing wires together. Doesn't really matter which is which - the fan switch just interrupts the 12V negative ground side.

Name:	New switch cutout.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	65273Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan wires.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	65274

After checking for the on position of the new switch for proper orientation I attached it to the wall (2 x #8 screws). Put all the rest back together. Works great and now much more accessible while seated

Name:	Finished.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	65272

All told, about 2 hours I think.
                    Ken & Sandra

Comment

Wow!
                      Thanks very much KSC_Travels

Comment

Nice work KSC_Travels, not going to lie, reading your post makes me glad that our Imagine had this switch already and is reachable from the throne!
                        Last edited by StephenO; 09-07-2021, 09:32 PM.
                        2019 Imagine 2400BH
                        2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

KSC_Travels The magic question now is how to you get the vent open when it's closed and you are seated?
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                            KSC_Travels The magic question now is how to you get the vent open when it's closed and you are seated?
                            Lol...Right?!

Luckily we pretty much leave ours open - has a vent cover on it. Otherwise - see post #6 I guess

Ken & Sandra

Comment

The issue is getting through the wall top plate into the wall. From your floor plan I suspect your vent stack is in the wall behind your toilet. If so it should be easy to get the wire down that way beside the vent pipe. Good luck
                              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                              X