Hard wired EMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard wired EMS

We have purchased the Hughes Watchdog for our 2021 Reflection 303RLS and wanted to confirm with you all who may have installed similar, is this 4- or 6-gauge wire to connect?

Thanks in advance!
    Kathi & Victor
    Kathi & Victor
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2020 RAM Big Horn Cummins Diesel
    NE Wisconsin

Originally posted by GonOuttaHere View Post
    We have purchased the Hughes Watchdog for our 2021 Reflection 303RLS and wanted to confirm with you all who may have installed similar, is this 4- or 6-gauge wire to connect?

Thanks in advance!
    Kathi & Victor
    This would require 6 gauge wire, that is the size that comes from the shore power inlet to the power distribution panel. You may want to check the length of this wire before buying a new piece. The stock piece in my RV was plenty long and I could have cut a piece out of it to add the EMS in line with out purchasing a new piece. Just make sure that you have plenty of wire to remove the EMS and re- attach the wire to the panel, if you wish to move the EMS to another rig. Our rigs are very similar and I mounted mine under the bottom drawer in the hutch, this made for easy access to it if needed and I did not have to remove all of the stuff in the pass thru. I am not sure how much room you will need but worth a look.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

This would require 6 gauge wire, that is the size that comes from the shore power inlet to the power distribution panel. You may want to check the length of this wire before buying a new piece. The stock piece in my RV was plenty long and I could have cut a piece out of it to add the EMS in line with out purchasing a new piece. Just make sure that you have plenty of wire to remove the EMS and re- attach the wire to the panel, if you wish to move the EMS to another rig. Our rigs are very similar and I mounted mine under the bottom drawer in the hutch, this made for easy access to it if needed and I did not have to remove all of the stuff in the pass thru. I am not sure how much room you will need but worth a look.

Brian
      Thank you, Brian. We will take a look and check if additional piece is even needed.
      Kathi & Victor
      2021 Reflection 303RLS
      NE Wisconsin

Comment

GonOuttaHere When I did mine there was plenty of length, but the factory wire was such a bear to wrestle I used a new piece of SO 6/4 to go from my EMS to the panel. I attached that too the EMS ahead of time, so when I crawled in to do my install I just had to wrestle the factory cable into it's input, then I the easier to work with SO cable to bring up into the distribution center. Made the install much easier.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
          GonOuttaHere When I did mine there was plenty of length, but the factory wire was such a bear to wrestle I used a new piece of SO 6/4 to go from my EMS to the panel. I attached that too the EMS ahead of time, so when I crawled in to do my install I just had to wrestle the factory cable into it's input, then I the easier to work with SO cable to bring up into the distribution center. Made the install much easier.
          Great idea, Neil. I’ll be sure to let DH know.
          Kathi & Victor
          2021 Reflection 303RLS
          NE Wisconsin

Comment

GonOuttaHere Just MHO, but the cost and installation (on mine anyhow) are just an upgrape to go along with the chassis. According to both the salesman that sold it, and the new owner, the addition and remaining EMS system made our SOB trade in easier to sell and buy.
            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
            Nash County, NC
            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Now that we’ve looked closer, another question has come up. Should we get 6/4 or 6/3 as is shown in the picture? This is what’s coming in from the 50A shore outlet. 303RLS 50A wire
              Kathi & Victor
              2021 Reflection 303RLS
              NE Wisconsin

Comment

Originally posted by GonOuttaHere View Post
                Now that we’ve looked closer, another question has come up. Should we get 6/4 or 6/3 as is shown in the picture? This is what’s coming in from the 50A shore outlet.
                The 6/3 with bare ground building wire iin the photo = 4 wires.
                So if you buy SO type flexible cord as Neil suggests, then get 6/4.
                Gene and Kim
                2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post

The 6/3 with bare ground building wire iin the photo = 4 wires.
                  So if you buy SO type flexible cord as Neil suggests, then get 6/4.
                  Ah, gotcha!! Thank you.

Tomorrow is installation day, wish us luck!
                  Last edited by GonOuttaHere; 09-10-2021, 07:46 PM.
                  Kathi & Victor
                  2021 Reflection 303RLS
                  NE Wisconsin

Comment

Done!
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	3C8B19ED-82B3-4171-B1EA-2108F7EE36F8.jpeg
Views:	406
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	65647
                    Kathi & Victor
                    2021 Reflection 303RLS
                    NE Wisconsin

Comment

Looks good!
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                      X