Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 268BH Bedroom Fan Upgrade

Hi all,
    We have a 2021 268BH Reflection and want to replace the bedroom skylight with an electric fan/vent. There is no 12v wiring up there, only access to the 2nd AC wiring and I can see the wires to the 2 ceiling lights. Has anyone made this modification, if so, how did you wire it? I was also wondering if a wire could somehow be fished through the ceiling and wall to the light switch?
    Thanks,
    Nate

natehunts Nate, you may need to check to see if you can determine where the light wires go into the wall. Most of the walls are simple and do not have lateral members thus adding a wire may not be that difficult if you can see the where the light wires turn into the wall cavity. Others have used the same hole for existing wiring in adding wires.

Look in the AC prep to see if it has a 12V supply line. You may be able to get power from there.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

A 120vac to 12vdc adapter is small and should be easy to fit in the ceiling space next to the opening. Should be a lot easier than fishing wires. I don't know if the 120vac wiring is already hooked to a breaker in in the distribution panel but again, would not be much trouble to connect.

I don't know how much current the fan draws but something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/JOVNO-100-240...205378&sr=8-33

Last edited by Lonestar; 09-09-2021, 11:38 AM.
      2020 Reflection 273MK
      2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by natehunts View Post
        Hi all,
        We have a 2021 268BH Reflection and want to replace the bedroom skylight with an electric fan/vent. There is no 12v wiring up there, only access to the 2nd AC wiring and I can see the wires to the 2 ceiling lights. Has anyone made this modification, if so, how did you wire it? I was also wondering if a wire could somehow be fished through the ceiling and wall to the light switch?
        Thanks,
        Nate
        There should be 12V there as a part of the AC prep. On mine there was a piece of 12 gauge Romex for 115V, a brown thermostat wire, and a 14 gauge two conductor for 12V. The 12V was needed to power the thermostat, and can be used to power a ceiling fan as well. I would go with the fan with the wireless remote, and power it off of the 12V AC wiring and you would be all set. Fishing from the ceiling to the wall for a switch is possible, but not easy. I did it in my bunkroom for the fan there, and could only do it by opening up the wall (we painted so I was able to mud it up and paint over the seam from the piece I cut out.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks for the responses this far. I should have mentioned that I do very little camping with electrical hook-ups. Most of it is boondocking, and why I was looking for a 12vdc wire/access. So if there was a 12vAC wire with the AC wiring, it wouldn't work. I guess I may have to just try and go fishing.
          Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by natehunts View Post
            Thanks for the responses this far. I should have mentioned that I do very little camping with electrical hook-ups. Most of it is boondocking, and why I was looking for a 12vdc wire/access. So if there was a 12vAC wire with the AC wiring, it wouldn't work. I guess I may have to just try and go fishing.
            Thanks
            Sorry if I was confusing, there should be a 12VDC wire with the AC prep. It would be a completely separate cable from the AC 120V Romex wire, that would run your fan off of battery power.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

natehunts Welcome to the forum and the Family!.

When you get a chance, check out the forum welcome letter which will hopefully make your forum usage a little easier.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
              Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
              Nash County, NC
              2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
              X