Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power inverter

Hello everyone.

I have installed an in-line southwire surge guard on my grand design xls 21 bhe. It works great maybe to great. I have solar panels, lithium batteries and just installed a vertamaxx 1500 watts inverter. I turned the converter off and plugged in the TT into the inverter outlet. My surge protector won't turn on because it had an open ground. I checked all 3 inverter plugs with the outlet checker and all 3 have open grounds. I was reading on another site that it's normal to have an open ground. My questions are is it actually normal and is there a way around it if so?

Thank you and sorry for all this, I'm still new to this.
    Towing vehicle is a 2021 ram 1500 hemi etorque. The trailer is a 2021 imagine xls 21bhe

Originally posted by Frenchy View Post
    Hello everyone.

I have installed an in-line southwire surge guard on my grand design xls 21 bhe. It works great maybe to great. I have solar panels, lithium batteries and just installed a vertamaxx 1500 watts inverter. I turned the converter off and plugged in the TT into the inverter outlet. My surge protector won't turn on because it had an open ground. I checked all 3 inverter plugs with the outlet checker and all 3 have open grounds. I was reading on another site that it's normal to have an open ground. My questions are is it actually normal and is there a way around it if so?

Thank you and sorry for all this, I'm still new to this.
    Some inverters and most generators use a floating neutral where it is not bonded to the ground like your electrical service is. Most of us for our generators use a neutral bonding plug plugged into one of the generator outlets we do not use to solve this issue. I would think you could do the same. I made mine, just took a plug and ran a piece of wire from the ground to the neutral, but you can find them on Amazon as well. My Victron inverter does this automatically, there is a relay that bonds the neutral when the inverter is on, and removes the bond when its passing through shore power.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
    X