Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert 50 amp to 30 amp

Hello everyone,

I have a 2020 Momentum 376THS. I am a new RV owner so all of this technology has me a tad spun. I parked at a RV site last night, hooked up to the normal 50 amp pedestal, no power. Is there something special I am missing if I want to convert from 50amp to 30amp? I have the adapter. I am wondering if there is something I need to flip or switch to accept the 30amp. I thought I could just buy a converter plug, plug it in and all would be golden, but that is not the case. I am under warranty, BUT the technician has to be certified AND work with the warranty company! YEAH RIGHT! Any words of advice is appreciated.

There is nothing special to do when using an adaptor. Make sure the breaker is on at the post, I usually turn the breaker off when I plug in and unplug to keep from any potential electrical arcs. When using the adaptor you will only have 30 amps that is feeding the rig, you will not be able to run all of the appliances that you will on 50 amp.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

nicbrown10175

Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

There will be circuit breakers at the post for both the 50A outlet and the 30A outlet. Also main circuit breakers (labeled "50") in the center of your RV electrical panel. Make sure that both the post and RV breakers are on.

As Brian describes . . . nothing special about using the adapter to plug your 50A cord into a 30A outlet . . . just a lot less power available. What's called a 50A outlet is actually two 50A circuits, so adapting to the 30A outlet means that you are going from 100A (2 x 50A) to only 30A of available power.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I carry a small NCVT (non-contact voltage tester) to check for “Hot-skin” condition after I hook up the electrical. Before I hook anything up, I check out the pedestal, using the NCVT. I turn the breaker on (it’s usually been turned off by the prior user, but not always) and ensure that there is no “stray” voltage where it shouldn’t be. I also check to ensure that there is voltage at the proper area on each of the plugs. If there isn’t, I can have it reviewed/addressed before I unhook and set up the trailer.

We also use a Progressive EMS (electrical management system), which is one of the next things that I hook up prior to dropping the trailer. If it isn’t reading that everything is correct, again it can be addressed early in the process.

Either one of these tests would let you know if you don’t have power at the pedestal.
        Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
        Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
        2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
        Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
        Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Working...
        X