No announcement yet.

DC - DC Charger Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a 2022 Ford F250 7.3 and have wired in a renogy 20a dc-dc charger 4 gage wire . positive and negative direct from battery . do i need to disconnect the charging wire from 7 pin plug? I've seen both yes and no for this.

Comment

• I have the same dc - dc , but with a 2021 F350 7.3 and I did not.
      Jim and Cindy
      2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
      2021 320G

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobsrv View Post
        I have a 2022 Ford F250 7.3 and have wired in a renogy 20a dc-dc charger 4 gage wire . positive and negative direct from battery . do i need to disconnect the charging wire from 7 pin plug? I've seen both yes and no for this.
        Bob
        I called Renolgy on my 60 amp version and they said as long as I have a direct negative return path between the battery and the charger of the equivalent positive feed line I do not need to disconnect the wire. The problem is some folks put in a large positive feed and then depend on the vehicle chassis ground (through the hitch or 7 pin connection) for the return path. In this situation the ground wire in the 7 pin can be overloaded.

To verify I would give Renolgy a call. Their service folks are pretty good to work with.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

• Thanh’s everyone for the feed back I’ll contact renogy.

Comment

• 4 ga for 20 amps seems a little excessive? Won't hurt, except for the wallet I guess but 10 ga would be just fine.
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

• You could add a fuse to the negative wire in the pigtail going to the truck. This would prevent over current of the ground should something go wrong with the DC-DC chargers negative connection.

The positive wire is hit or miss. Are you running LiFePO4? If so, then you may want to disconnect the positive wire or switch it from the truck as the camper batteries will be looping back into the truck since they have a higher charge.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

• Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                You could add a fuse to the negative wire in the pigtail going to the truck. This would prevent over current of the ground should something go wrong with the DC-DC chargers negative connection.

The positive wire is hit or miss. Are you running LiFePO4? If so, then you may want to disconnect the positive wire or switch it from the truck as the camper batteries will be looping back into the truck since they have a higher charge.
                Not running LiFePO4 yet so we are good for a while. I am running 4-6V Crown 260 deep cycle flooded.

I did drop in at my local Ford dealer - still a joke. I asked one of the service writers (you cant get access to the service manager or any management person) about the back feed issue (got a blank stare) or what might be behind the fender on the drivers side - got a DUH - why. So I explained the DC-DC charger project. Bigger blank stare. So I asked if anyone there might know.

The 4 other service writers were standing there too (it was 4:45 PM. The last question they asked me was did you buy it here. I explained that sales did not want to deal and that I got it x plan and price protected - thier mouths hit the floor. I added in the sales tax saving too, and said I was not a fool and if they did not want to do a cash deal, then I would go elsewhere which I did. I was then told they could not service it here. I shook my head and said Ford will be glad to hear that.as I have the ESP plan that is good everywhere. At that point I left.

Now a strange thing happened. As I got to my car (did not drive the truck today) a senior mechanic walked up and tried to apologize for the "fruts - his words" at the service desk. Unfortunately I did not get his name. He indicated the PCM module does have a diode circuit to protect back flow and understood a DC-DC project and the issue I was asking about. He also thought there was nothing behind the space for the solenoid, but would need to see my truck. His last words is he bought his mustang at Zimes too as the dealer would not even honer the Ford employee plans.

Now on to other questions.
                Keith
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

• Ok need advice.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0936s.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	89064
                  I am going to drill and tap this terminal for the new 6mm positive post. This is on the drivers side. I am thinking of doing it on the battery after protecting the area around as I can see how to remove the entire cable. With foam mats around there is no possibility of a short anywhere, and being on the battery post will keep it from twisting during the drilling and taping. There is room below to put in some plastic shims to protect the battery case during the operation. I plan to vacuum as I drill/tap so no shavings get anywhere
                  Am I nuts for thinking this?

Solenoid mount

Name:	IMG_0932s.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	89065 Drivers side fender - I found the perfect spot (I hope) for the solenoid and the primary wiring. In the photo is the crease (bulge) on the inner fender. There are spot welds around that that appear to tie the inner fender to the outer fender mounts. What I don't know is what is behind this point.

Name:	IMG_0934s.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	89066 This is a photo from inside the front drivers side fender. I tried to pull the fender liner back to get my camera in there, but as I have the optional wheel well liners its too stiff to move much. Ill try a look tomorrow from below. Rob @Cate&Rob Do you have the wheel well liners too? If not can you see whats behind the inner fender in that area? Thanks

I plan to run the solenoid off of the up fitter switches but the box is on the passenger side

Name:	IMG_0937s.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	89067 I was thinking of attaching the wire loom across the plastic gusseted lip on the firewall vent box. Are there any clips for this or would it be OK to drill holes in the lip plastic and use zip ties?

The dealer service manager also found the pass through wires for me.

Name:	IMG_0939s.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	89068
                  Its the taped wire bundle just left of the battery beside the up fitter switch box. I have not found the other end yet that is supposed to be on the passenger side foot well. He also added a tag to the up fitter switch wire bundle too that is directly below the up fitter box, which can be un-clipped and pulled up a bit.

Thanks for any thought folks

Keith

Comment

• Yoda

Keith,
                    I know I only have a gasser😎 but I did not drill into my truck to mount the solenoid I used those square holes to mount it.

Name:	BBF9BF03-D31A-4CB3-9E50-AF633EA1FC62.jpeg
Views:	248
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	89074 Click image for larger version

Name:	8B2F55AE-84CC-4C07-BF89-B408D8919911.jpeg
Views:	253
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	89075

Jim
                    Jim and Cindy
                    2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
                    2021 320G

Comment

• Originally posted by rebel23 View Post
                      Yoda

Keith,
                      I know I only have a gasser😎 but I did not drill into my truck to mount the solenoid I used those square holes to mount it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BBF9BF03-D31A-4CB3-9E50-AF633EA1FC62.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	59.1 KB ID:	89074 Click image for larger version  Name:	8B2F55AE-84CC-4C07-BF89-B408D8919911.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	139.4 KB ID:	89075

Jim
                      Doh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
                      You are a genius. I never would have seen those. I did not even spot them in my own photos. Now to figure out how to get to them with my dimensional challenged body, but that my problem. I owe you big time. Responses like yours make this place above the rest.

If I may ask how did you run the power to the solenoid? Looks like you cam from the other side.

Thanks

Keith

Comment

• I did, across the top zip tied to the stock wires

Click image for larger version  Name:	769F8CF5-6C83-40EF-8F54-6691E472D22B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	164.6 KB ID:	89080 Click image for larger version  Name:	667B9671-1E65-4AC1-BB7B-CF9DA6B8A8D8.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	140.7 KB ID:	89079

Jim
                        Last edited by Hogdrv; 07-01-2022, 09:36 PM. Reason: Second look
                        Jim and Cindy
                        2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
                        2021 320G

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	5B576855-A299-4974-AC35-9C6EDD46D7A8.jpeg
Views:	245
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	89082 Click image for larger version

Name:	BB35C226-2310-4780-B090-97A0D92719FC.jpeg
Views:	252
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	89083
                          The smaller wire is what I installed, I did notice yours doesn’t have any wires there, should make it easier,maybe.

Jim
                          Jim and Cindy
                          2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
                          2021 320G

Comment

• You know I went out to the truck and looked a little closer and the large wire is the positive and negative 6 gauge that I installed and the smaller wires are from the upfitters, soooo forget what I said above because there WAS NO wires there before I did it....my bad!

Jim
                            Jim and Cindy
                            2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
                            2021 320G

Comment

• Yoda i drilled my cable on the battery, just go slow and be careful. I didn't tap,I just used a nut and bolt. I also drilled holes in the plastic above the firewall for zip ties going across.
                              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

• Hi Keith,

With reference to your question in post #173 . . . I have the same wheel well liner, so can't see any more than what is in your picture.

You have correctly identified the engine compartment end of the pass through harness. (red arrow on your picture to confirm for others) This is ridiculously short to connect to (what was Ford thinking ). I could not get any of my wire connector crimping tools to this short harness, so had to revert to (rather crudely) soldered connections covered with double layers of heat shrink. This harness has three reasonable gauge (16 or 18) wires and one very small one. I extended the connections to the three, but am only using one for my dash cam at the current time.

To find the inside end of this harness will likely take more disassembly than just opening the fuse panel door as shown in the owner's manual. In the other picture, the kick panel is pulled and the end of the pass through harness has green tape added by my dealer for identification.

BUT . . . for your DC-DC project, you do not have to come through the firewall. The wiring from the upfitter switches to the relay box is already in place. All you have to do is go from the relay box harness (a little more accessible once the box is released from its tabs) to your relay. All underhood.

Rob

Name:	image_13390.jpeg
Views:	378
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	89104 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1668.jpeg
Views:	334
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	89105
                                Cate & Rob
                                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X