Anderson SB 120 connectors - Chemical Resistant or Standard + Boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anderson SB 120 connectors - Chemical Resistant or Standard + Boots

These connectors are mentioned in numerous threads, so I thought I would post this question as an information verification thread for this connector.

Well I embarked on a quest today to find my SB-120 connectors. I am going withe bulkhead fitting https://www.etsy.com/listing/7780785...e_recs_5&sca=1 as it is a better fit to what space I will have on the truck wall - it also can be gotten in other colors per the seller.

Now about the SB-120 connectors WOW! = talk about knockoffs being out there. You really need to be careful on Amazon - they say Anderson but thier not!

So I went to the source
    https://www.andersonpower.com/us/en/...6&wire_size=44
    They list authorized dealer on thier web page that are cheaper than amazon and I know I will get the real product

To my surprise that have two models Chemical Resistant(CR) and Std. CR can go to -40F while std is only good to -4. So to me the CR is a bit tougher - not that I would be camping at -4 mind you, but it does get that cold here.

This size is also popular and many places are back-ordered, so if I need to wait might as well got for the CR units - thoughts?

Boots
    Second thing learned. While the connectors are gender neutral - one flips over to connect with the other the environmental boot are not. Not sure why?
    Load side boot is https://www.andersonpower.com/us/en/...over-load.html Part # 3-63035P1
    Source side is https://www.andersonpower.com/us/en/...er-source.html Part # 3-63034P1
    They look the same in pictures, but what is the difference in real life?

So if I may ask, where did you source your connectors and did you go with the CR ones and if not any durability issues? Also how are you boots holding up if you used them?

Thanks
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
    So I went to the source
    https://www.andersonpower.com/us/en/...6&wire_size=44
    They list authorized dealer on thier web page that are cheaper than amazon and I know I will get the real product

To my surprise that have two models Chemical Resistant(CR) and Std. CR can go to -40F while std is only good to -4. So to me the CR is a bit tougher - not that I would be camping at -4 mind you, but it does get that cold here.

This size is also popular and many places are back-ordered, so if I need to wait might as well got for the CR units - thoughts?

Boots

So if I may ask, where did you source your connectors and did you go with the CR ones and if not any durability issues? Also how are you boots holding up if you used them?

Thanks
    Keith

I didn't notice the CR housings, added in last few years I guess,.(a SB120 datasheet from 2010 doesn't have a CR option)

I know the different colors APP came up with for avoiding connecting different voltage systems together only mate with the same color

Click image for larger version  Name:	APP SB Colors.jpg Views:	0 Size:	30.2 KB ID:	67495

Boots: For wire to wire connections.
    I don't think they'd work with the bulkhead adapter.
    Load boot fits inside Source boot.

Mouser is where I usually buy from.
    https://www.mouser.com/Anderson-Powe...yztm2xZ1yzmtfc

Also have used Powerwerx, OnlineComponents

SB Environmental Boot-795320-1.pdf

Click image for larger version  Name:	SB Enviro Boots.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.2 KB ID:	67494

SB120 in Bed sidewall with DIY Aluminum bracket. I didn't see the 3D printed brackets at the time I did my install.
    I might revisit it someday for a proper dust cover. I use a sealed chopped down empty SB120 housing as my cover for now.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SB120 in Bed Sidewall w DIY Bracket.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	67515

I've got an Enviro Boot on my Front Bumper SB120 to keep water out of it.

Name:	SB120 Front Bumper Enviro Boot - Coupled & Unpluggedjpg.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	67516Click image for larger version

Name:	SB120 Source Enviro Boot.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	67517
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gbkims; 10-08-2021, 08:51 AM.
    Gene and Kim
    2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
    2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Yoda -- Powerwerx was the source, no issues to date with the standard connectors and boots. No issues with wear to date.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson gbkims

Gene and Howard

Thanks so much for the information. I have both sources on my list for getting parts, so will be watching prices and stock. Gene the boot pictures and PDF helped to understand what the differences are.

The Australia guy did not know if a cut down boot would fit inside his bulkhead as they had never tried it. Maybe it can be warmed and stretched to fit over the back? How flexible are they? Otherwise from pictures I can probably just silicone the back to close it up.

This really helps in what I need to get for this project. The only down side is I wont need any new tools - bummer

Thanks

Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Update
          I just learned something and would have been very disappointed in my order if I had not found this out. Double check when ordering that you get the terminals too Mouser has all the parts separate - but have a great PDF to be sure you order the correct part numbers https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/2...20-1634951.pdf
          Their customer service is great as the caught I had not gotten the terminals

Now Powerwerx appears to have the complete kits with terminals.You do need to choose the correct wire size. I just need to figure out which way I want to go and availability.

I just wanted folks to know when ordering these to double check you getting everything you need - housing and terminals.

One last question - I see a handle option available. Is it needed? Just wondering how hard the connectors are to pull apart. Was thinking of the typical position of leaning over the bed side to plug in and remove.

Thanks again for the help gbkims howson

Keith

Comment

Update
            I just learned something and would have been very disappointed in my order if I had not found this out. Double check when ordering that you get the terminals too Mouser has all the parts separate - but have a great PDF to be sure you order the correct part numbers https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/2...20-1634951.pdf
            Their customer service is great as the caught I had not gotten the terminals

Now Powerwerx appears to have the complete kits with terminals.You do need to choose the correct wire size. I just need to figure out which way I want to go and availability.

I just wanted folks to know when ordering these to double check you getting everything you need - housing and terminals.

One last question - I see a handle option available. Is it needed? Just wondering how hard the connectors are to pull apart. Was thinking of the typical position of leaning over the bed side to plug in and remove.

Thanks again for the help gbkims howson

Keith
            I haven't used a handle so far, I usually just use a slight rocking motion to disconnect them vs. straight pull

The boot material is somewhat stiff.
            The Load one is smaller since it fits into the Source boot.

Name:	SB120 Boots - Test Fit.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	67529
            Gene and Kim
            2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
            2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post

I haven't used a handle so far, I usually just use a slight rocking motion to disconnect them vs. straight pull

The boot material is somewhat stiff.
              The Load one is smaller since it fits into the Source boot.

Name:	SB120 Boots - Test Fit.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	67529
              Now you have me wondering if it (load side) will work withe the Australian bulkhead mount? Another question to ask. Otherwise I need to get the dust covers instead of the boots.
              Thanks Gene
              Keith

Comment

Yoda With my luck, the connector would develop an issue somewhere on the road requiring replacement. Hence the reason for finding something available at the local farm supply, truck stop, or parts house.

option: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...wer+plug&pos=6
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Yoda I bought the boots but could not get them to work with the panel mount. I run without it, but I store my trailer inside, so its not been an issue. I did get the handle, I am not sure its needed, but its nice to have.

My Father in law has a TT so we set his up with the boots and mounted the truck side below the hitch. Since its exposed the boot does a nice job of protecting the socket when not in use.

I bought from a mix of PowerWerx and Ebay for a few items that were out of stock. Be aware the connectors use a special crimper. I bought mine from PowerWerx.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                    Yoda With my luck, the connector would develop an issue somewhere on the road requiring replacement. Hence the reason for finding something available at the local farm supply, truck stop, or parts house.

option: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...wer+plug&pos=6
                    Thanks Joseph - it appears they are using Anderson style connectors (copycat). I don't see an amp rating or wire size. Assembly instruction are the same as Anderson's. Also much higher price. If I do this I will be carrying spares too. Thanks for adding information
                    Keith

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                      Yoda I bought the boots but could not get them to work with the panel mount. I run without it, but I store my trailer inside, so its not been an issue. I did get the handle, I am not sure its needed, but its nice to have.

My Father in law has a TT so we set his up with the boots and mounted the truck side below the hitch. Since its exposed the boot does a nice job of protecting the socket when not in use.

I bought from a mix of PowerWerx and Ebay for a few items that were out of stock. Be aware the connectors use a special crimper. I bought mine from PowerWerx.
                      Thanks nictro PowerWrex crimper is a hex crimper so my Temco crimper should work https://temcoindustrial.com/th0005-v...h-32-die-sets/
                      I know you will helping Howard in me getting a new tool

Barrel length per anderson is .84" for 4 awg.
                      https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/2...20-1667980.pdf
                      The 4 awg hex die is 1/2" wide so should work well. Connections can also be soldered too per Anderson instructions. Thanks for the heads up on the boot not working - appreciate that information. Question - did you try trimming the boot back? Just wondering.

Thanks for the help everyone
                      Keith

Comment

Yoda Yeah that sounds like it should work well. Howard tried soldering his I think, as I recall it didn't go well lol.

I didn't try trimming it. Once it all came together I really didn't need it. The 3D mount has a cap that goes on pretty tight. There's no rubber seal but I usually have the bed cover closed when not towing anyway, and the trailer is usually inside when not being used.

Neil Citro
                        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

**Edit** you seem to have caught up (I started this reply 6 hours ago, but never posted it)

You overthought it.

you are referring to the rubber boot. One has "LOAD" molded into it, one has "SOURCE". From the PDF drawings on the page you linked too:

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-10-08 17_25_13-Window.png Views:	0 Size:	22.5 KB ID:	67561
                          Mike
                          2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post

**Edit** you seem to have caught up (I started this reply 6 hours ago, but never posted it)

You overthought it.

you are referring to the rubber boot. One has "LOAD" molded into it, one has "SOURCE". From the PDF drawings on the page you linked too:

Click image for larger version Name:	2021-10-08 17_25_13-Window.png Views:	0 Size:	22.5 KB ID:	67561
                            Mike - one fits over the other when hooked together. In post 7 you can see the boot difference.

Comment

Yoda Keith, this popped up in amazon today. https://www.amazon.com/Flush-Assembl...3787256&sr=8-2 only 50 amps, but the housing looks promising.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X