Anderson SB 120 connectors - Chemical Resistant or Standard + Boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
    Yoda Keith, this popped up in amazon today. https://www.amazon.com/Flush-Assembl...3787256&sr=8-2 only 50 amps, but the housing looks promising.
    Thanks Joseph It would work if I go with the 30A Victron or 40A Renogy, but I am strongly considering the 60A Renogy - looking long term and switching to Lithium for a fast recharge on travel days - will work with my 4-6V too. If 60A is too much the Renogy can be throttled to 30A At 30 to 40A the SB50 couplers are good - at 60A I need the SB120's.

I looked at a new F250 the other day and measured the space beside the stock 7 way in bed plug. It will be tight but the SB housings are the only thing that will fit - Pollak plug wont as far as I can tell - even sideways, but then its not water resistant in that orientation.

Appreciate the help though - I have some time so will part this together over time. I am creating a list of components, so if I see a sale....well as long as SWMBO does not catch me.

Folks - Good 4awg battery cable is hard to come by right now. Windynation is about the only folks that have it in stock. Its OD is 0.35" so it looks like I need a loom of at least 0.75ID - probably 1". I will want to cover the wires under the truck and for the RV line. This will also determine the cable clamp sizes I will need. Thoughts on this? The other option is 2 conductor SOOW cable for the trailer side - pricey. I found it, but no ratings or UL or other certifications. I may need to go with the 3 connector ( 2 plus ground) and just not use the ground wire.

Thanks
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda I'm sure there's enough safety margin in the design to cover it but keep in mind the current the connector will face is more than the rating of the charger. It's on the other side of the charger so I'd expect it to be some amount more. I know my 40A Renogy occasionally tripped my 60A breaker on the truck side.

I used the Windy Nation wire on both sides. I used split loom under the truck, and braided sleeving on the trailer end. I found the sleeving handles nicer for handling it when hooking and unhooking. I put extra large heat shrink on the ends of all these to finish them off.

I checked and I used 1-1/4" split loom for two 4 AWG wires. It was plenty large, I think it's all they had in stock at the time.

25ft - 1.25 inch PET Expandable Braided Sleeving – Black – Alex Tech braided cable sleeve https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075QF7M3D...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Yoda Keith, they do make larger surface mount connectors (may not be the best option) that you might be able to mount above pointed down on the sidewall.

Also do not be opposed to buying something like https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-He...s%2C188&sr=8-3 and just lopping the ends off it it comes out cheaper (not that such a thing has ever been considered). It's copper clad aluminum wire, but since it's stationary and not moving a lot should be fine.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
          Yoda I'm sure there's enough safety margin in the design to cover it but keep in mind the current the connector will face is more than the rating of the charger. It's on the other side of the charger so I'd expect it to be some amount more. I know my 40A Renogy occasionally tripped my 60A breaker on the truck side.

I used the Windy Nation wire on both sides. I used split loom under the truck, and braided sleeving on the trailer end. I found the sleeving handles nicer for handling it when hooking and unhooking. I put extra large heat shrink on the ends of all these to finish them off.

I checked and I used 1-1/4" split loom for two 4 AWG wires. It was plenty large, I think it's all they had in stock at the time.

25ft - 1.25 inch PET Expandable Braided Sleeving – Black – Alex Tech braided cable sleeve https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075QF7M3D...ing=UTF8&psc=1
          Thanks Neil I had not though of the braided sleeve on the trailer side. Appreciate the loom sizing too - did you use high temp?

Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda No high temp, it's far enough from the engine that it has not been an issue. Comes off the battery goes through the breaker back towards the firewall before going through the solenoid and down before crossing over and heading back. No temp issues.

Love the sleeving, I had split loom at first on the trailer side and it always was rough to handle. Felt rough and like it was going to tear up your hands. SOOW would work, but I wanted individual conductors to make it easier to pull through the cap. I wound up going up through the floor above the pin box, through the bed, and back down into the battery compartment. Sealed up with silicone and spray foam.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Yoda No high temp, it's far enough from the engine that it has not been an issue. Comes off the battery goes through the breaker back towards the firewall before going through the solenoid and down before crossing over and heading back. No temp issues.

Love the sleeving, I had split loom at first on the trailer side and it always was rough to handle. Felt rough and like it was going to tear up your hands. SOOW would work, but I wanted individual conductors to make it easier to pull through the cap. I wound up going up through the floor above the pin box, through the bed, and back down into the battery compartment. Sealed up with silicone and spray foam.
              Hope you don't mind me asking, but how did you get up into the bed from the pin box area. I am not quiet understanding how you did that.
              Thanks
              Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Hope you don't mind me asking, but how did you get up into the bed from the pin box area. I am not quiet understanding how you did that.
                Thanks
                Keith
                I popped out the tail light and between that and the hole I cut for the mount I could get the cable up into the hole. The factory wiring was right there so I could see underneath where it came through.

Neil Citro

Comment

I popped out the tail light and between that and the hole I cut for the mount I could get the cable up into the hole. The factory wiring was right there so I could see underneath where it came through.
                  Sorry Neil - I meant the area under the bed in the 5th wheel from the pin box.
                  Thanks Keith

Comment

Sorry Neil - I meant the area under the bed in the 5th wheel from the pin box.
                    Thanks Keith
                    Oh gotcha. I tried to fish up under the skin and had no luck, I know some have bit I just couldn't get it. I instead drilled up into the rig from the pin box. This got into the void in front of the under bed storage, then I ran it rearward through the under bed storage until I got above the battery compartment. Drilled another hole down and dropped in that way.

Hope that makes sense, if not I can try to grab some photos. For the hole above the pin box I had to pull the mattress off and remove the plywood. That makes the whole area accessible.

Neil Citro

Comment

Oh gotcha. I tried to fish up under the skin and had no luck, I know some have bit I just couldn't get it. I instead drilled up into the rig from the pin box. This got into the void in front of the under bed storage, then I ran it rearward through the under bed storage until I got above the battery compartment. Drilled another hole down and dropped in that way.

Hope that makes sense, if not I can try to grab some photos. For the hole above the pin box I had to pull the mattress off and remove the plywood. That makes the whole area accessible.
                      Thanks - Ill haft to look closer to my set up - a lot of steel and aluminum cross members in the way. I know when I fished my reverse wire into the front bay from the pin box it was a real pain, so looking for something simpler - however I can always use the reverse wire to pull the cables and a re-pull rope to get it back.

Keith

Comment

Thanks - Ill haft to look closer to my set up - a lot of steel and aluminum cross members in the way. I know when I fished my reverse wire into the front bay from the pin box it was a real pain, so looking for something simpler - however I can always use the reverse wire to pull the cables and a re-pull rope to get it back.

Keith
                        Yeah the first time I tried was with my Ford TPMS and reverse camera cable. I tried for quite a while even pulling the screws in the panel and couldn't get it. Finally bit the bullet and drilled into the area under the bed.

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                        X