Dimmer with Compass Connect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimmer with Compass Connect

I would like to add a dimmer to the main cabin lights. My Compass Connect controller is located in the front storage. A wireless remote controlled dimmer on the output of the Compass connect would do the trick. But. All the wireless remote dimmers that I can find work on the negative (ground) side of the circuit. My questions are:

Does anyone know of a wireless remote dimmer that works on the positive side of the circuit?

Or

Does anyone know if a separate negative wire is wired back from the overhead lights all the way to the Compass Connect controller? I suspect they are wired to chassis ground somewhere else and the negative wire is not available. Hence the need for a positive side dimmer control.

Thanks. 2021 312BHTS

FlyStar , I am in the middle of a slow motion project adding dimmers to our unit. There are several posts on here discussing this; try searching "dimmer" in the search box. I think what is most important is the type of dimmer. The consensus is that a PWM dimmer is what is needed for the led bulbs. I just took the two lights nearest my kitchen sink away from the compss connect and the rest of the ceiling lights. I installed a flush mount PWM touch dimmer, and fed power to it from a nearby non compass connect light switch. This dimmer has a power and ground lead both in and out of it. What I found is that all of the lighting in this area was sharing a ground connection--both compass connect controlled and not. Just on a hunch, I tied both ground leads (in and out of the dimmer) together, and connected them into the existing ground bundle. Everything worked as it should. I'm sorry but I don't know how to post a link to the dimmer into this forum. I found it on amazon, and noticed that rec pro has a version of it. It is about the same size as your existing wall mounted light switches, has a touch button in the center of it with an led, and is labeled "dimmer".

Next up, is to retry a different brand wireless dimmer that would not work on the ceiling circuit. I just took two "mousetrap" (dammit watch your fingers!!) bulbs out of the circuit that were rated at about 0.4 amps each. Even tho I was originally well under the rating of the dimmer, it would not work. I still think I got a bad unit (for the third time), so if that doesn't work I am going to try a different brand. Will post pics and progress of that as I go. Others on here have made it work so it must be possible. Good luck
    Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
    2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
    2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
    Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

I have had a big success today installing a remote controlled wireless dimmer on my Compass Connect controller main cabin lights.

Last edited by Country Campers; 10-28-2021, 05:33 AM. Reason: Violation of Rule #15

Comment

Originally posted by FlyStar View Post
        I have had a big success today installing a remote controlled wireless dimmer on my Compass Connect controller main cabin lights.

Please read the Forum Rules, Rule #15 to be exact.

Brian, Moderator
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Please read the Forum Rules, Rule #15 to be exact.

Brian, Moderator
          Brian,

Where are the forum rules? It's been awhile since I read them.

Thanks,
          Gene
          Gene and Kim
          2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
          2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post

Brian,

Where are the forum rules? It's been awhile since I read them.

Thanks,
            Gene
            Hi Gene,
            See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-forum/60-forum-rules
            Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              Thanks Rob,

I was poking around there, just didn't look hard enough: Forums > Technical Forum > Welcome to GDRV's Forum! > Newcomers and Site Information > Announcements and Site Feedback
              Gene and Kim
              2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
              2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	BCF5786E-F642-4302-8837-4F827C4927E3.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	119.0 KB ID:	69163

Sorry for not knowing the rules and trying to link to the “other forum”. I just wanted to share my learnings and never thought of the idea that the forums were “competitive” somehow. My bad.

Dimmers on lights controlled by Compass Connect can’t be wired in the command center. They must be wired downstream of the Compass Connect. Since this unit is in my basement storage area, I tried out a remote controlled dimmer which worked out great. Most dimmers need access to both the hot and ground wire which was my worry. However, both hot and ground are wired to the Compass Connect making the job super easy. And, I mounted the remote control unit in the command center using Velcro, so I can pull it off and keep it handy anywhere in the camper.

On my 2021 Reflextion 312 BHTS, three lighting circuits are wired to the Compass Connect. A 4 pin connector at the bottom right corner of the unit, labeled “latching output” is where the 3 hot wires go to the leds. The ground wire is easy to find since each circuit is wired back to this area with a 2 conductor cable, hot and ground.

Click image for larger version  Name:	30DF1A04-C614-4D33-9E2E-6C5FCC6DA673.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	59.2 KB ID:	69160
                Attached Files
                Last edited by FlyStar; 10-29-2021, 06:21 AM.

Comment

I want to do the same is the wiring below labled to what is what? I want to add dimmers to my awning lights and coffee bar
                  2021 Reflection 303RLS
                  2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
                  Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Originally posted by FlyStar View Post
                    Sorry for not knowing the rules and trying to link to the “other forum”. I just wanted to share my learnings and never thought of the idea that the forums were “competitive” somehow. My bad.
                    No competition implied. Not linking to the other forum was at their request which we've chosen to respect to keep things civil.

There's plenty of good folks on the "other" forum. The difference is this forum is technical in nature (no "best campsite recipes" channel) and this forum is wholly owned by GD. GD is obviously a for-profit entity, but everything else here is owners-helping-owners. No one's making money or has an ax to grind (that we know of, anyway).

if I understand the business model, the owners of the "other" forum are making money off of individuals that participate and run their forum. Not implying that's wrong--it's just different by it's very construct. As long as everyone's aware it's all good.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                    X