Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25G Electric Hot Water Heater Intermittent

The hot water heater works great on propane, but

If I'm on shore power and switch on the electric water heater in the morning it works.
    Shut it off, come back at the end of the day and no light on switch and no electric hot water.
    Through out the week, it's a crap shoot whether or not it works. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
    Sometimes the blue switch light comes on dim, but heater doesn't work.
    When it doesn't work, I switch to propane and it works fine.

I have troubleshot it from what I can access.
    There are no loose connections on the switch panel.
    When the switch is turned on and not lit, there is power to the element.
    The element is good, the thermostat is not tripped.

Any RV electricians familiar with Suburban heaters? Any help appreciated.
    I'm an electrician with the right tools. I just don't know where anything is located.
    I called GD tech support their response was gee that's a new one on me.
    You should probably call a mobile mechanic to check it out... well duh!

I'll be boon-docking all next week, so I doubt I'll find one till I get back to civilization.
    2021 Momentum 25G
    2018 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn
    2009 Honda VTX 1300T

howson Howard, any ideas? Your recent HWH course may be useful here.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Teamjd View Post

If I'm on shore power and switch on the electric water heater in the morning it works.
      Shut it off, come back at the end of the day and no light on switch and no electric hot water.
      Through out the week, it's a crap shoot whether or not it works. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

I'm an electrician with the right tools. I just don't know where anything is located.

I'll be boon-docking all next week, so I doubt I'll find one till I get back to civilization.
      Take a look here https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv4li...m-howson/page6 page 5 and 6. Howard is taking the RVSA course and the information he posted about what he is learning in class might help you.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

What specific model Suburban? I'll assume a SW6DEL.

As Yoda mentioned, this topic was covered last week in school (I'm taking the RVSA course in residence). I am NOT, however, a professional RV technician. I'm "just a guy on the internet" that happens to have an insatiable curiosity about our RVs.

What's interesting about the Suburban is the thermostat and ECO are duplicated on both the propane and electric sides of the unit. Based on the symptoms, I'd look at the thermostat on the electric side. (Remove the cover and you'll see the ECOs and thermostats.) What I'm thinking is the thermostat on the electric side is not closing (consistently) when the water cools.

Not exactly sure which thermostat goes to the propane and which one to the electric, but hopefully it will be easy to figure out by following the wiring.

A simple continuity test of the thermostats should confirm the thermostat's state when the water is hot. (And it does get HOT--140 degrees hot! Be careful.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Under Here.JPG Views:	0 Size:	35.2 KB ID:	67627

The ECO is the one with the long reset button so the other one is the thermostat.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Eco Therm.JPG Views:	0 Size:	25.5 KB ID:	67626

Please report back what you find.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson Suburban model SW6DELC Thanks, I'll get back with how I fixed it.

I didn't realize that the thermostat was just a snap switch. I was expecting something more complicated.
          I took the screws out of that black cover this morning. the black cover is glued on so tight, I didn't think it was supposed to come off.
          I'll try that next. If it's bad, do you now what it's rating or part number is?
          2021 Momentum 25G
          2009 Honda VTX 1300T

Comment

howson Suburban model SW6DELC Thanks, I'll get back with how I fixed it.

I didn't realize that the thermostat was just a snap switch. I was expecting something more complicated.
            I took the screws out of that black cover this morning. the black cover is glued on so tight, I didn't think it was supposed to come off.
            I'll try that next. If it's bad, do you now what it's rating or part number is?
            Sorry--what I have is old documentation provided by the school. The SW6DELC isn't covered. I think the "C" means that the model has a remote switch for the electric side. (Earlier models without the "C" have the power switch on the water heater itself.) If I'm right there's a relay that's engaged to pass power to the 120vAC element when the power switch (inside the camper) is turned on. I don't know where that relay is...I've never seen an SW6DELC.

If the wiring to the 120vAC element is similar to earlier models (except for the relay) keep in mind that on the propane side, a relatively low 12vDC amperage is utilized for control of the propane valve. This DC flows through the propane thermostat and ECO. On the 120vAC side there is about 11 amps flowing through the circuit to the heater element (thus through it's ECO and thermostat).

The point is I doubt the two sets of ECO and thermostats are the same. Even though they will look the same. If you can confirm the 120vAC circuit's thermostat is bad, double-check with your supplier that you're getting the 120vAC version.

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Just wanted to update my findings...

I did a lot of research, but I didn't attempt to fix the electric side of the water heater yet. Being on a long trip, I didn't want to take the chance of messing things up with no RV dealers within hours of my camping.
              After returning from my trip yesterday, it was 25 degrees, and I decided to winterize before everything froze. I took off an access panel to get to the heater bypass valves and saw this control box flopping around in there not attached to anything. It was partially unplugged. Of course I found it on the side after I winterized. It appears to be the control module for the heater that sends the signal to the electric relay side of the heater. Every other component checked out OK. If I get a few days above freezing, I'll filler up and see if that fixed it. Either way, I cant believe it was just laying there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211120_151900323.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	70544
              2021 Momentum 25G
              2009 Honda VTX 1300T

Comment

GDRV-Megan

Please see post 7 above.

The owner has found the control box for the water heater not attached to anything in his 25G Momentum. Could you please confirm that this should be attached and pass on to the Momentum line.

Thanks
                Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Teamjd

Please add your VIN to your profile. I have tagged our GD rep to pass this info onto to the factory and having the VIN will help them to find out why this was not attached.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers - Thanks, I added the VIN
                    2021 Momentum 25G
                    2009 Honda VTX 1300T

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20211120_151900323.jpg Views:	17 Size:	87.9 KB ID:	70544
                      That's the module board in your picture, assuming the wire colors match the schematic for the model in question. Given the problem is on the electric side, this should have nothing to do with the malfunction. (I doubt it should be loose behind the unit--other models in the manual show it attached to the back of the WH. This module board should not affect the electric side.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	module.JPG Views:	0 Size:	160.6 KB ID:	70673

The full manual is attached for your convenience.

Howard
                      Attached Files

Comment

howson - thank you. The schematic confirmed my physical inspection.

I re-seated the module connector and now have power at the heating element.
                        (I disconnected the leads from the element to not burn it out.)
                        If I get motivated and the weather gets above freezing, I might filler up and test it. Otherwise a field test has to wait until spring.
                        It would be nice if GD included a field wiring addendum to the installation manual.
                        My gas/electric switches are lighted three pole switches not two pole, and I don't have a separate light.

I'll call this done. Thanks for your help.

2021 Momentum 25G
                        2009 Honda VTX 1300T

Comment

Working...
                        X