Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Momentum 28G Backup Camera always on - factory build error.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Momentum 28G Backup Camera always on - factory build error.

I installed the fusion backup camera on my 28G via the factory prepped port on the back. I found that the camera remains on all the time even when the trailer is disconnected from the truck. I pulled the fuses and found that the camera is powered by the same circuit that powers the AC control units and as such remains energized at all times.

This is a factory wiring issue - the person in charge of this obviously did not think of the long term effects of having a wifi camera powered even when not needed. It creates a constant drain on the battery and the camera's lifespan will be significantly shortened - it is not of the same build quality as surveillance cameras which has a 24/7 application expectancy.

To correct the error I plan to tap in to the top running lights - before I start disassembling stuff I'd like to find out if there is a way to access the area from the inside of the trailer, or would I need to fish a wire through by removing one of the running lights and take that avenue?

Thank you in advance.

L Steyn

Mine is wired the same way. When I disconnect the battery from the battery disconnect in the wet bay, the camera turns off.
    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

lsteyn welcome to the family and the forum!

I imagine that they are all the same. If you want a true disconnect you have to put one inline and most suggest the negative cable for simplicity. I know mine are on all of the time and haven't really thought about it too much, but then we are never "disconnected".
      Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
      Nash County, NC
      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

It was easy for me to tap into the marker light right above the camera mount. Make sure to remove the connection to the AC area where the camera receives power from now.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by lsteyn View Post
          I installed the fusion backup camera on my 28G via the factory prepped port on the back. I found that the camera remains on all the time even when the trailer is disconnected from the truck. I pulled the fuses and found that the camera is powered by the same circuit that powers the AC control units and as such remains energized at all times.

This is a factory wiring issue - the person in charge of this obviously did not think of the long term effects of having a wifi camera powered even when not needed. It creates a constant drain on the battery and the camera's lifespan will be significantly shortened - it is not of the same build quality as surveillance cameras which has a 24/7 application expectancy.

To correct the error I plan to tap in to the top running lights - before I start disassembling stuff I'd like to find out if there is a way to access the area from the inside of the trailer, or would I need to fish a wire through by removing one of the running lights and take that avenue?

Thank you in advance.

L Steyn
          I see this is your first post. Welcome

It would be helpful to include the year of your unit, Fill in your signature block and add vin to your profile so if you need further assistance GD can help. There is also a welcome letter https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Depending on how old you unit is GD wired the rear view camera mount several ways - unfortunately yours is always on. Brian Country Campers gave excellent advice as it is fairly easy to tie into the marker light. Be sure you tie up and tape the existing power connection. If you do a search I believe there are several posts of folks doing this.

GD does monitor this site. Personally I have found GD excellent to work with. Possibly reach out to them - have your vin # handy. Customer service phone number is Good luck on your fix

Keith
          Last edited by howson; 10-11-2021, 03:30 PM. Reason: Minor edit--sent PM.
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
            It was easy for me to tap into the marker light right above the camera mount. Make sure to remove the connection to the AC area where the camera receives power from now.

Brian
            That’s pretty much the route I took. The marker sits just below the fin on the 28G. Snipped the connector from the constant on and wired it in to the marker so now it functions in unison with the side view cameras and there is no parasitic drain.

Lodewyk

Comment

Working...
            X