Backup Lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup Lights?

Having our first after dark arrival home, we discovered there are no backup lights on our 200 MK... A work light and Jackery got us through our difficult tight k-turn and 150 foot push down our driveway. Has anyone installed backup and side lights and wired them into the 7-wire harness? I assume that center pin must land in some unused wire somewhere. What can you mount to under there trailer?
    - Eric P. (2021 Transcend XPLOR 200MK)

Originally posted by epearce View Post
    Having our first after dark arrival home, we discovered there are no backup lights on our 200 MK... A work light and Jackery got us through our difficult tight k-turn and 150 foot push down our driveway. Has anyone installed backup and side lights and wired them into the 7-wire harness? I assume that center pin must land in some unused wire somewhere. What can you mount to under there trailer?
    Everything you need to know https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-install/page2 You will find the reverse wire terminated at the end of the trailer plug in the junction box. Its normally yellow in color

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I have installed them on both of our GD trailers (2600RB, 317RLS) The feed for the backup lights is in the junction box on the tongue as other have said. I used a 12ga automotive wire in a 1/4" split loom and ran it down the door side frame using plastic loops on the screws holding the corplast. You could also remove the screws and tuck the wires into the underbelly, Once I reach the rear I found a spot in the corner and attached the light to the frame using the bracket as my ground. I used heat shrink butt splices at those connections as well as some dielectric grease and tooth washers on the ground terminal. The lights can be bought on Amazon, there are many varieties, I just chose a smaller utility style lamp. It would be easy enough to add 2 extra lights on the sides, you would just need to account for the extra amp draw when chosing wire gauge size.
      One advantage to having these lights on the trailer is that they also provide a warning to other when you are backing up. Although I try to never back up when I dont absolutely need to, at least people can see what your intentions are.
      2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Thanks familytruckster4 I was thinking something much like that with a set of four LED 16" 18 W light bars, two on the back, and two just behind the front on the box looking to the side/back. They seem to useful to not be able to used parked, so I was going to use I was going to wire them up with a waterproof transfer switch so would be selectable between "on", and taking power from the 7-wire backup light. Always another project.

Comment

I'm thinking about the same thing, except installing a timed delay to keep the LEDs lit for 7-12 seconds after the turn signals are activated. Turning will be covered by the turn signals to each side, but backing will be regulated by the four way flashers.
          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
          Nash County, NC
          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

I think you might find a 16" lamp tp be way more than needed. The ones I have used are only 4 or 5" and are plenty bright.
            These are the ones I used on our 2600RB, the ones on our 337RLS are very similar
            Attached Files
            Last edited by familytruckster4; 10-13-2021, 08:23 AM.

Comment

familytruckster4 Indeed, that was a typo, I got 6". Twin 16" light bars would blind my spotter...

But as I dig under the trailer into the junction box, I did find the yellow wire waiting for me, but was shocked the entire 7-wire harness sits under the trailer in a non-waterproof metal box with non-weatherproof metal cover, like you would find in a home attic, not under a wet trailer. Geez. How is that going to work out in a few seasons of rain. Seems like trouble down the road.
              Last edited by epearce; 10-13-2021, 05:18 PM.

Comment

familytruckster4 Do you have problems with ground clearance with them hanging below the rear bumper instead of perched up on top?

Comment

familytruckster4 Indeed, that was a typo, I got 6". Twin 16" light bars would blind my spotter...

But as I dig under the trailer into the junction box, I did find the yellow wire waiting for me, but was shocked the entire 7-wire harness sits under the trailer in a non-waterproof metal box with non-weatherproof metal cover, like you would find in a home attic, not under a wet trailer. Geez. How is that going to work out in a few seasons of rain. Seems like trouble down the road.
                  They probably cut it off right at the cord end hidden by the restraining clamp.
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda There was actually a good amount of working length in the box, with one of those 3M closed-end crimp connectors GD uses all over the place. The retraining clamps do not look especially waterproof either. I would have expected outdoor AC wiring practices and boxes, or marine watertight junction boxes. It could at least have a solid cover plate with a rubber gasket, instead its just a residential indoor 2-gang 4" cover plate, complete with the corner slots for easy installation and water infiltration. Its disappointing. Even driving back east this summer, I can see we picked up a lot of road salt in the summer rains. This will be a corroded mess eventually. I'm sure there will be another project there eventually.

Comment

Yoda There was actually a good amount of working length in the box, with one of those 3M closed-end crimp connectors GD uses all over the place. The retraining clamps do not look especially waterproof either. I would have expected outdoor AC wiring practices and boxes, or marine watertight junction boxes. It could at least have a solid cover plate with a rubber gasket, instead its just a residential indoor 2-gang 4" cover plate, complete with the corner slots for easy installation and water infiltration. Its disappointing. Even driving back east this summer, I can see we picked up a lot of road salt in the summer rains. This will be a corroded mess eventually. I'm sure there will be another project there eventually.
                      Buried someplace in the cord should be the yellow wire. All standard cords have it.

However a better solution is this. https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Hea...1M1FC3WG&psc=1

I have already gotten one and Its one of my spring projects. There are others, but double check the quality.

Hope this helps

Comment

familytruckster4 Do you have problems with ground clearance with them hanging below the rear bumper instead of perched up on top?
                        Not at all. On the travel trailer they were well above the jacks and on the fifth wheel the bumper is higher and the back of the trailer doesnt react the same over hills as the travel trailer did.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Buried someplace in the cord should be the yellow wire. All standard cords have it.

However a better solution is this. https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Hea...1M1FC3WG&psc=1

I have already gotten one and Its one of my spring projects. There are others, but double check the quality.

Hope this helps
                          I installed the box on my fifth wheel. I feel a lot better about the connections now. The Hardest part of the job was keeping from hitting my head on the pinbox while I was under it

Comment

familytruckster4 I'm about half way through the 7-pin upgrade and backup lights... thanks for the tip on the Mictuning harness. We have been having intermittent left turn signal issues, and on the last trip, the brake controller did not detect the brakes. Both resolved by reseating the factory harness. Now that I have exchanged it out, maybe I can see why... all the pins are loose. Also, the factory wiring continues to disappoint, all the grounds were tied together in a residential wire nut, wrapped in electrical tape. The bus terminals for the 12V distribution are covered in oxidation. Click image for larger version

Name:	Junction Box.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	68172Click image for larger version

Name:	Connector.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	68173

Comment

epearce
                              Hi Eric,

Many of us have been down the same road you are travelling. The entire towable RV industry lives in a world half way between “vehicle” and “residence”. They are only accountable to their own governing body RVIA. Anyone with experience in marine, automotive or aeronautic fields makes the same observations that you are making about “residential” wiring connections in a vehicle bouncing down the highway. Multiple ground wires in a “wire nut” makes sense only to RVIA.

Rob
                              Last edited by Cate&Rob; 10-21-2021, 07:20 AM.
                              Cate & Rob
                              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X