Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to replace LP Gas Detector

Hello,

My built-in, wired LP Gas Detector is only 2 years old, but keeps going off at inconvenient times of the night.
    I bought another one and installed it in a different location, but stilly relative close by. It's a plug-in (not wired) and it does NOT go off when the other does.

So I'm wondering if I just have a faulty original? If so, I can replace it of course ...but to hook the wires up do I need to turn off the electricity to be safe?
    I was hoping there was just a fuse I could disconnect, but I can't tell which one goes to that circuit, if any do?

-Thanks, Craig
    2020 GD Imagine 2970R

Are you sure it’s not CO setting off the alarm? Is the new detector for both and at the same height?
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

The detector is 12 volt operated.
      Gary F
      2020 Solitude 375RES-R
      2019 Ford Super Duty diesel Dually

Comment

IceMan - I see this is your first post, so be sure to check out the welcome letter the mods put together https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members, it has lots of good info on using this site.

I would agree with Jkwilson that you should make sure you indeed don't have a CO issue or for that matter a propane leak! After that, you should be able to replace the existing alarm using the wiring that is behind it. Like fowlergk indicated, the system is 12vDC, so you'll need to make sure your new one is also 12vDC. Since you mentioned that you 'plugged in' a different one, I would assume that it's 120vac. Those two worlds are certainly not compatible. To disconnect the power for the DC system, you should be able to disconnect your battery, along with any solar system you may have. Please note, the battery disconnect switch will not kill the power to the propane/CO alarm, as it's a safety issue.

Good luck, let us know how it goes ​​​​​​​
        2019 Imagine 2400BH
        2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

IceMan

If it is the Propane Detector that is pictured in this thread Safety Notice Reminder - LP Gas Detector - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com) there is plenty info there that will help you. Note this is only a propane detector. Please make sure that the item you need to replace is replaced with the same item. These are installed for your protection and should not be substituted with something of lesser quality or of a different detector. These are 12 v dc and as stated if you disconnect the battery cables you can replace this. The battery disconnect does NOT remove power from this Detector it is to have power at all times for safety.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Those 12v detectors will activate with low voltage also...
            Jim (& Sharon)
            2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
            2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
            The toys:
            2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
            2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Originally posted by JCR GD View Post
              Those 12v detectors will activate with low voltage also...
              This is a very important comment that needs to be focused on. IceMan - If your LP gas detector starts chirping, it's most likely due to low voltage on your RV battery. If it is a constant tone, then it's detecting LP gas or other contaminants.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

This is a very important comment that needs to be focused on. IceMan - If your LP gas detector starts chirping, it's most likely due to low voltage on your RV battery. If it is a constant tone, then it's detecting LP gas or other contaminants.

Jim
                My parents have one that has timed out and reached its end of life. So it will also chirp. Some or all smoke detectors today will do this at around the 10 year mark.

Jim

Comment

...Sorry this response is so late, but I had anew Propane Detector installed recently, and it wound up setting off the alarm as well.

Anyway, I got frustrated so I disconnected it. I wound up buying a plug-in type, and it does NOT chirp or set off the alarm.
                  So not certain what's really going on here.

Comment

Originally posted by IceMan View Post
                    ...Sorry this response is so late, but I had anew Propane Detector installed recently, and it wound up setting off the alarm as well.

Anyway, I got frustrated so I disconnected it. I wound up buying a plug-in type, and it does NOT chirp or set off the alarm.
                    So not certain what's really going on here.
                    Propane is heavier than air, so unless the plug in model is down on the floor like the original, there’s a good chance you have a propane leak. When 2 out of 3 detectors say there is propane, you have to assume there is propane.
                    John & Kathy
                    2014 Reflection 303RLS
                    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Only the ones that have been connected to the built-in hardwired system would go off sometimes.
                      The plug-in I bought, and placed at the same level as the others (approx 18" above floor) does not go off.

Comment

Working...
                      X