Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proper position of battery disconnect switch while using trickle charge in storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper position of battery disconnect switch while using trickle charge in storage

Hello fellow members,
    I am new to the forum and proud owner of a new 2021 Series 150 295RL fifth wheel. I keep my unit in a new storage facility in Phoenix under covered parking and have the benefit of plugging in to receive a "trickle charge" for two hours every night to keep my one 12 volt factory battery charged. My question is: What is the proper setting for my battery disconnect switch to safely receive this trickle charge - ON or OFF? Pros & Cons. Your feedback is sincerely appreciated.

It depends on whether this is an external charger or the built-in converter. The switch disconnects the converter, so it needs to be on to charge.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

JZ295Arizona Welcome to the Family and the forum!
      Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
      Nash County, NC
      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by JZ295Arizona View Post
        Hello fellow members,
        I am new to the forum and proud owner of a new 2021 Series 150 295RL fifth wheel. I keep my unit in a new storage facility in Phoenix under covered parking and have the benefit of plugging in to receive a "trickle charge" for two hours every night to keep my one 12 volt factory battery charged. My question is: What is the proper setting for my battery disconnect switch to safely receive this trickle charge - ON or OFF? Pros & Cons. Your feedback is sincerely appreciated.
        Welcome

If you just plugged in and the lot rotates the power and your using the converter to charge the switch must be on (key can not be removed) as said.

However if you putting a separate trickle charger on the battery, then I would disconnect one battery cable and then tie in the charger directly to the battery - this is the only way to remove all parasitic loads from the battery. Otherwise there is a chance the parasitic loads that are on all the time (do a search) could still kill the battery even with the trickle charger.

Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thank you everyone! I am directly plugged into an electrical socket at the facility from the side of my RV and the lot does rotate the power (2 hours per section every night). I am using the converter to charge the battery so I appreciate knowing I must keep the switch on. Thanks again for your time to respond. We really love our RV and look forward to learning more on this forum.

Comment

You will want to check on the fluid level of the battery from time to time as well, start with once a month to see how it is using water, this should be done throughout the year as well. Another thought is do you have any electrical protection for the camper, example is a EMS unit that monitors the incoming voltage to the RV. If there is a spike or low current it may damage the converter/charger.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Yes, I keep a plastic jug of distilled water in my front storage space to help remind me every time I open the compartment to check it at least once a month. Water dissipates more rapidly in the Arizona heat than other locations. I also purchased a Progressive EMS-PT50X that I use at every campsite. I won't plug in without it. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X