lost 12 volt power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost 12 volt power

Morning we lost 12 volt power last Tuesday. What was out Hutch signal light, ac/heat thermostat, max air fan in kitchen and rear 12 volt lights at the sofa. but on the way home everything was working when I park in the back yard. Now it most be a lost connection but where? I will take any help at all.
    Thanks Richard
    PS 2020 29RS
    Last edited by 760volvo; 10-29-2021, 05:13 PM.
    Richard and Kim Mclaughlin
    2012 F250 6.2 gas
    GD 2020 29rs
    Charlotte NC

760volvo

Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

That is a rather odd assortment of locations to be on one 12V circuit or fuse . . . but, anything is possible! Start by making sure that the main 12V switch in the pass-through storage area is firmly switched to the on position. (sometimes these switches get bumped). Then, check your 12V fuse panel . . . is there one fuse that controls all the things that cutting out? If so, replace that fuse as a place to start.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Sounds like a converter issue. The battery was likely recharged some by the tow vehicle. If a 12v fuse is blown on the panel there will be a light illuminated next to it. All of those items will be on seperate fuses so its unlikely (but not impossible) that they are all bad.
      After checking the above items the battery needs to be checked for voltage while the trailer is plugged in to 110v, unless it shows something around 13.8v the next step is to check the converter.
      2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Yes that one fuse controls all of the above fuse is good pull it out red light comes on and everything goes out.
        Thanks
        2012 F250 6.2 gas
        GD 2020 29rs
        Charlotte NC

Comment

Originally posted by 760volvo View Post
          Yes that one fuse controls all of the above fuse is good pull it out red light comes on and everything goes out.
          Thanks
          Hi Richard,

Well . . . the easy solution didn't work LOL!

Multiple things on one circuit are usually daisy chained together. The wiring is usually twin "lamp cord" style with the white side being ground and the striped side being power. I would start by opening up the fixture closest to the panel and looking for a loose crimp connection in either power or ground. It is also possible that either power or ground are loose behind the main panel . . . but this is likely more complicated to get at than the first fixture.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I'm agree with Rob. It's most likely a loose connection at one of the fixtures.

If other 12V items were working, it rules out the converter/battery charge possibilities.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi Richard,

Well . . . the easy solution didn't work LOL!

Multiple things on one circuit are usually daisy chained together. The wiring is usually twin "lamp cord" style with the white side being ground and the striped side being power. I would start by opening up the fixture closest to the panel and looking for a loose crimp connection in either power or ground. It is also possible that either power or ground are loose behind the main panel . . . but this is likely more complicated to get at than the first fixture.

Rob
              thanks Rob I will check this tomorrow
              2012 F250 6.2 gas
              GD 2020 29rs
              Charlotte NC

Comment

Is all your 12v power out or just select items ?

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
                  Is all your 12v power out or just select items ?
                  Just the single hutch light ac/heat thermostat max air fan in the kitchen and the lights at sofa
                  2012 F250 6.2 gas
                  GD 2020 29rs
                  Charlotte NC

Comment

I would check the hutch light first. You may even want to check the connections behind the convenience panel where the slide switches are, there may be a loose ground there. Although the fuse seems good switch it with the one next to it.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                      I would check the hutch light first. You may even want to check the connections behind the convenience panel where the slide switches are, there may be a loose ground there. Although the fuse seems good switch it with the one next to it.

Brian
                      Oh by the way I replace all of the 12 volt fuses and did pull the light down and it is tight
                      Thanks Richard
                      2012 F250 6.2 gas
                      GD 2020 29rs
                      Charlotte NC

Comment

I got the impression from your first post that you had lost all 12v in the trailer.
                        Based on the fact that some of it still works the other posters are looking in the right areas.
                        I would add though that some of those items might (who really knows since theres never a diagram available) have their own line from the power source. I would check the connections around the battery/breakers in the front outside compartment and if nothing is found there I would pull the bulkhead out on the storage (door side) and get a good look at the converter and the wiring related to it. Its also possible that something is loose on the switch panel, you might pull that and look for a loose/disconnected wire.

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
                          I got the impression from your first post that you had lost all 12v in the trailer.
                          Based on the fact that some of it still works the other posters are looking in the right areas.
                          I would add though that some of those items might (who really knows since theres never a diagram available) have their own line from the power source. I would check the connections around the battery/breakers in the front outside compartment and if nothing is found there I would pull the bulkhead out on the storage (door side) and get a good look at the converter and the wiring related to it. Its also possible that something is loose on the switch panel, you might pull that and look for a loose/disconnected wire.
                          I did check the battery and buss bar connections everything was tight.OK I will go in the basement and check the converter this weekend.
                          2012 F250 6.2 gas
                          GD 2020 29rs
                          Charlotte NC

Comment

Originally posted by 760volvo View Post

I did check the battery and buss bar connections everything was tight.OK I will go in the basement and check the converter this weekend.
                            Went into basement eneything was tight. Have to wait for it to go out again to check.
                            Thanks for all the help
                            Richard and Kim
                            2012 F250 6.2 gas
                            GD 2020 29rs
                            Charlotte NC

Comment

Working...
                            X