Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Understanding small voltage regulaters - constant 12V DC output - variable DC input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
    Yoda Keith, I'd have to ask questions on the waterproof one you linked. I know with some controllers, you have to adjust output based on input voltage. If you use an auto step up / down automatic then it may be a bit more reliable output. https://www.pololu.com/product/2577 came up when I did a quick look around. The deal with building robots and stuff so they have some neat stuff.
    Joseph
    You just warped my mind tonight. Good grief it must have artificial intelligence. Something to consider but it seems some assembly required. Not real a problem, I just would need to find a good box to put it in. I appreciate the input. I am learning a lot here, which is a good thing to kick out some of the old gray cells.
    Thanks for the help
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Scott Scott'n'Wendy I am aware of the noise. The stock fan is 44 to 48db
      I was referring to the noise generated by a PWM controller, not the fan. I have installed/repaired and programs dozens of them. They all emit a high pitch frequency whine. But they were all higher than 12volt devices.
      I was just suggesting you check if there is any appreciable noise generated by the controllers you are looking at.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Use a simple rheostat, potentiometer.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
          I was referring to the noise generated by a PWM controller, not the fan. I have installed/repaired and programs dozens of them. They all emit a high pitch frequency whine. But they were all higher than 12volt devices.
          I was just suggesting you check if there is any appreciable noise generated by the controllers you are looking at.
          DOH!!! Now I understand. In reviewing the Notcua NA-FC1 I ran across no mention of noise, but I will dig deeper and email the folks down under. If I understand correctly in generating the pulses there is a corresponding frequency noise? Thanks for the heads up.

TedS Ill look into that, but not sure if that will work for PWM 4 wire fan - maybe the 3 wire coolerguys one.

On thing I have learned is technology has passed me buy. I understand simple rheostats, potentiometers - they just vary the voltage. This new pulse width modulation is interesting. Instead of varying voltage to control fan speed, the power is sent in pulses to vary the fan speed. I hope I got that right.
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda , yes, pwm varies time on/time off.

It wouldn't matter 2, 3, or 4 wire. They all have one 12+ and one gnd -. You just would not connect the third or third and fourth wires.
            Last edited by TedS; 10-29-2021, 10:47 AM.
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I had bought the DC-DC Buck Boost a couple of weeks ago that looks same as the 1st one linked by Keith. It is for a cellular router's DC input.
              Tobsun 36W DC-DC Converter 12V 3Amax - It dropped off Amazon's page already..
              Click image for larger version

Name:	DC-DC Buck Boost 12V 3A.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	69192

I hooked up a couple of older Brushless DC (BLDC) Fans that are just 2 wire w/o speed adjustment to a 12V SLA battery used in home UPSes.
              The fans are NMB 3610KL-04W-B50-D00 12VDC, 92mm x 92mm x 25mm
              - https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...B50-D00/776446

2 fans running direct connection to the battery, 12.71V DC and 2.6mV noise signal measured at the battery:

Name:	2 BLDC Fans Running - @ Batt 12.71V DC.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	69193Click image for larger version

Name:	2 BLDC Fans Running - @ Batt 2.6mV Signal - 2mV, 5msec scale.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	69194

2 fans running from the DC-DC Buck Boost's Output, 12.12V DC at the fans, 6.3mV noise signal measured at the battery.

Name:	2 BLDC Fans Running w DC-DC Busck Boost - @ Fans 12.12V DC.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	69195Click image for larger version

Name:	2 BLDC Fans Running  w DC-DC Buck Boost - @ Fans  6.3mV Signal -20mV, 2msec scale.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	69196
              Gene and Kim
              2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
              2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Couple more photos. I pulled apart a RV Frig's fan to peak at the circuit board.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Brushless DC Fan M# RDM1238B 0.40A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.3 KB ID:	69200
                Click image for larger version  Name:	Brushless DC Fan Circuit Board.jpg Views:	0 Size:	128.4 KB ID:	69201
                Last edited by gbkims; 10-29-2021, 12:00 PM.
                Gene and Kim

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post
                  I had bought the DC-DC Buck Boost a couple of weeks ago that looks same as the 1st one linked by Keith. It is for a cellular router's DC input.
                  Tobsun 36W DC-DC Converter 12V 3Amax - It dropped off Amazon's page already..

Name:	DC-DC Buck Boost 12V 3A.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	69192

I hooked up a couple of older Brushless DC (BLDC) Fans that are just 2 wire w/o speed adjustment to a 12V SLA battery used in home UPSes.
                  The fans are NMB 3610KL-04W-B50-D00 12VDC, 92mm x 92mm x 25mm
                  - https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...B50-D00/776446

2 fans running direct connection to the battery, 12.71V DC and 2.6mV noise signal measured at the battery:

Name:	2 BLDC Fans Running - @ Batt 12.71V DC.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	69193Click image for larger version

Name:	2 BLDC Fans Running - @ Batt 2.6mV Signal - 2mV, 5msec scale.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	69194

2 fans running from the DC-DC Buck Boost's Output, 12.12V DC at the fans, 6.3mV noise signal measured at the battery.

Name:	2 BLDC Fans Running w DC-DC Busck Boost - @ Fans 12.12V DC.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	69195Click image for larger version

Name:	2 BLDC Fans Running  w DC-DC Buck Boost - @ Fans  6.3mV Signal -20mV, 2msec scale.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	69196
                  Ill pretend like I fully understand this - but it appears wiring direct from the battery is much better as with the dc-dc buck is 3 times louder. How does the 6.3mV noise signal convert to something I might hear?

Thanks Gene

Keith

Comment

I think there are three different 'noises' that have come up
                    Noise of the fan spinning - blades cutting through air
                    Audible noise emitted from the device - a whine or buzz potentially emitted from the converter device itself (Scott'n'Wendy)
                    Power Line Noise - ripple or noise signal generated by the device that could appear on the DC Bus(dbkims). [Which might be noticed in the audio output of your stereo]
                    Rich and Kathy
                    2022 Momentum 21G
                    Camping, boondocking and Vintage Moto-X in the Rocky Mountains

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Ill pretend like I fully understand this - but it appears wiring direct from the battery is much better as with the dc-dc buck is 3 times louder. How does the 6.3mV noise signal convert to something I might hear?

Thanks Gene

Keith
                      I don't hear the signal made by the DC-DC converter as it's above normal hearing range.. I only hear the the fans, but my ears are old with tinnitus so the sound might be masked.

It's the electrical noise that's of interest to me.
                      Checked the output of the DC-DC Buck Boost, it's puts out more noise to the fans.
                      Set the scope to 100mV scale since the output signal is a lot higher voltage, versus 20mV scale on I used on the input side of the DC-DC.
                      So I don't think I'd use it for an electronic device's DC input.

DC-DC Buck Boost to 2 BLDC Fans:
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	2 BLDC Fans Running  w DC-DC Buck Boost - @ Fans  68.3mV Signal -100mV, 5msec.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.7 KB ID:	69221

Adjusted the time/division scale to view the signal..
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	2 BLDC Fans Running  w DC-DC Buck Boost - @ Fans  43.8mV Signal -100mV, 10usec.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.0 KB ID:	69222

Thanks Keith for getting me motivated to hook up this DC-DC Buck Boost and testing it.
                      It'll be headed back to Amazon.
                      Last edited by gbkims; 10-29-2021, 04:06 PM.
                      Gene and Kim

Comment

After a little research, I found the frequencies are 20kHz and higher. Upwards of 420kHz. The upper end of hearing and beyond.
                        Ted
                        2021 Reflection 310RLS
                        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

So to bring this to a conclusion - I do not need or want a small DC-DC buck and just go with direct fused 12V connection and the Noctua PWM NA-FC1 fan speed controller. I did a full search on the NA-FC1 and there are no noise issues - in fact no issues at all.

Am I on the right page after this great discussion?

Thanks Keith

Comment

Working...
                          X