12 Volt Heating Pad for 100AH Lithium Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 Volt Heating Pad for 100AH Lithium Battery

Does anyone use a 12 volt heating matt to keep their Lithium Batteries from falling below 33 degrees Fahrenheit? And where did you find it? Thank You...

T Alan B -- no direct experience myself, but this looks interesting: https://www.truckcamperadventure.com...ng-system-mod/
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks Howson.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
        T Alan B -- no direct experience myself, but this looks interesting: https://www.truckcamperadventure.com...ng-system-mod/
        I bought a couple of Facon Water Tank Heating Pads mentioned in the link provided by howson , also linked by Will Prouse. Insulated my battery case, dropped the pads in, then dropped a couple of sheets of sheet metal on top of the pads to diffuse the heat. I've got a temp sensor sitting on top of the battery bank and it reads 55-60 degrees F when the outside temp is 28 degrees F. So they're working well.

Couple issues with the pads. I ordered a two pack, and it only came with one fuse. Complained and they sent out another two pack as an exchange. Still only one fuse. I kept both fuses and returned one of the two packs.

The unit has a built-in on-off thermostat that's NOT adjustable. To test the units before installation, I had to freeze the pads. If they're working, you'll see the outline of the heating coils on the surface of the pad. I think two of the four pads I had didn't show any heating coils, so I'd be sure to test.

The pads require a 12 V power source. I bought a 110-12 V transformer because I'm plugged in for now. Haven't tested the pads running off the battery alone. If you used just battery alone, you'd have to make sure you had a way to keep the batteries charged. . .

-Steve
        2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
        Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
        2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
        18k B&W Companion, non-slider
        640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
        Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
        Somerset, WI

Comment

Thank you Steve...

Comment

Originally posted by T Alan B View Post
            Thank you Steve...
            Sorry for this late report, but my experience with the Facon Heating Pads at temps below 20 degrees F is not good. The Facon's could only keep the battery temp sensor reading 30 degrees when temps dropped to 17 degrees. That's not enough to prevent the battery BMS from shutting down charging. My BMS needs batteries to be at least 35 degrees to allow charging.

My new opinion: the Facon's don't provide enough heat to be effective battery bank heaters.

-Steve
            Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

Sorry for this late report, but my experience with the Facon Heating Pads at temps below 20 degrees F is not good. The Facon's could only keep the battery temp sensor reading 30 degrees when temps dropped to 17 degrees. That's not enough to prevent the battery BMS from shutting down charging. My BMS needs batteries to be at least 35 degrees to allow charging.

My new opinion: the Facon's don't provide enough heat to be effective battery bank heaters.

-Steve
              Well that's a bummer. Will insulation around the battery compartment help or are you trying something else?
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211127_082747.jpg
Views:	970
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	71025
                Originally posted by howson View Post

Well that's a bummer. Will insulation around the battery compartment help or are you trying something else?
                Insullated.

Attached Files
                Somerset, WI

Comment

Working...
                X