Converter appears to not be working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converter appears to not be working

Woke up the other morning to a low voltage alarm on my Solitude 382 WB-R, looked on my LCI panel for battery information and though when hooked to shore power the battery reading should be around 13.6v is that correct?

So I started looking at the breaker for the converter, was not tripped. I found the converter behind the wall in the front storage pulled both fuses they show no signs of being blown.

I did take a look at the Inverter, has a green status light, powered off and back on seemed to make no difference.

So not sure where or what I can do any suggestions? Is it mobile tech time?

I do have a Victron 712 and the battery's are charging during the day but I believe this is from the Solar panel that came from the factory..
    Claudia & Andy
    2021 Solitude 382 WB-R
    2021 Chevrolet 3500 High Country DRW

There may some interruption between the converter and batteries.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Having Solar will make the trouble shooting a little more tricky being as the solar controller is inputting voltage to the battery which will then flow to the converter/charger. You may have to disconnect the wires from the converter/charger, red and black feed to the battery, to check if there is output at the posts, you will need a meter for this. If there is output then you will need to isolate the battery from the solar controller but still connected to the charger/converter to see if power is getting from the charger/converter to the batteries. Also if you have found the charger/converter look to see if it is plugged into the power distribution panel, it might be hard to see and you may not be able to see it but it may have become unplugged while traveling.

Brian
      Last edited by Country Campers; 11-09-2021, 06:36 AM. Reason: spelling
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

If on shore power, turn off the breaker. If everything in the camper dies, you have a battery issue like the disconnect being flipped by accident (check to see if the key can be pulled out).
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Quest4Sunsets Easy way to check would be look at your BMV after dark but while on shore power. If the current is negative your converter isn't working. If it's positive you're getting charge.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
            Quest4Sunsets Easy way to check would be look at your BMV after dark but while on shore power. If the current is negative your converter isn't working. If it's positive you're getting charge.
            What is BMV?
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post

What is BMV?
              His Victron battery monitor is a BMV-712.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Quest4Sunsets

First check your battery disconnect switch as Joseph mentioned. It must be on (Red key cant be removed) for batterys to charge from the converter. Solar is usually wired directly to the battery which is why it shows up. Do you have a multi meter? If you do check the AC power to the converter at the converter and DC out. If you have AC in but no DC out then the converter is bad,

Just trying to help
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

First, thanks for everyone that has taken the time to provide some help. We really do appreciate your time. Some updates to some replies and questions.

I did check the main disconnect in the front bay (red key), even cycled it off then back on.

I took ncitro idea and checked my Victron BMV - 712 last night and I am getting a negative value for Current.

I do have a multimeter and will perform the check Yoda suggested. I am going to assume I need to leave everything on and connected to see the results as it should be for the converter.

I will also check to see if it is plugged into the Power Distibution panel as suggested by Country Campers .

To be Continued....

Thanks again to everyone.
                  Claudia & Andy
                  2021 Solitude 382 WB-R
                  2021 Chevrolet 3500 High Country DRW

Comment

You would need to disconnect the batteries to measure the converter output.
                    Ted
                    2021 Reflection 310RLS
                    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Guys, just curious about disconnecting the battery for proper reading. Will just turning the on/off switch (red key) suffice to check the converter or will removing the negative cable from the BMV shunt best?
                      Vivian
                      2018 Reflection 303rls
                      Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                      Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                        Guys, just curious about disconnecting the battery for proper reading. Will just turning the on/off switch (red key) suffice to check the converter or will removing the negative cable from the BMV shunt best?
                        Yes, that should suffice, Vivian. What Progressive Industries is stating in their troubleshooting steps (see https://www.progressivedyn.com/servi...er-converters/ ) is they want the battery 12v isolated from the converter. Turning the battery disconnect off (so the key is removed) effectively does the same thing.

Howard

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson thank you, just being proactive after reading this post. I had no idea that key could be removed, I just thought it was switched on or of by rotating.
                          Vivian
                          2018 Reflection 303rls
                          Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                          Demco Recon

Comment

The best way to check the converter output for whether it is working properly or not is to disconnect the wires from the positive and negative output terminals. This removes the converter output completely from the DC system.
                            Ted
                            2021 Reflection 310RLS
                            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Quest4Sunsets View Post
                              First, thanks for everyone that has taken the time to provide some help. We really do appreciate your time. Some updates to some replies and questions.

I did check the main disconnect in the front bay (red key), even cycled it off then back on.

I took ncitro idea and checked my Victron BMV - 712 last night and I am getting a negative value for Current.

I do have a multimeter and will perform the check Yoda suggested. I am going to assume I need to leave everything on and connected to see the results as it should be for the converter.

I will also check to see if it is plugged into the Power Distibution panel as suggested by Country Campers .

To be Continued....

Thanks again to everyone.
                              To me this would pretty definitively say you're not getting converter output through the shunt. Assuming your shunt and BMV are wired correctly, them I'd be looking at either a bad connection out of the converter or the converter being bad itself (assuming it's plugged in as Brian suggested). I suppose plug something else into the outlet to make sure you're getting 120 into the converter, and assuming the outlet is good (and the fuses are good - check with a meter, don't rely on a visual check) I'd be looking at replacing the converter.

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                              X