Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here, switching to Lithium 2022 momentum 21G

Hello all,

sorry if this has been covered but I did a quick search around and couldn’t find the answer to what I’m looking for, although my questions might be a little basic. I’m new to RV’s but not campers having built a Promaster van from scratch largely using victron components.

we just purchased a 2022 Momentum 21G due to a growing family (both human and furry). I’m pulling the stock battery and replacing it with either 2 Renogy 200Ah lithium’s or 2 SOK 206Ah lithium’s that will go in the passenger side front storage compartment. My first questions are simple- I understand how to switch the charging profile on the Jaboni solar controller but what about the converter when plugged in to shore power? I’m assuming this charges the batteries as well? How do I find the charging profile? Is this done through the stock 1000w inverter? Also the Cummins Onan 4000 generator?

I will also be unplugging the power connection in the 7 pin truck hookup. Initially I was considering a Sterling DC-DC 60a charger but I’m not sure it will be necessary. I have 300w of solar now and plan on adding another 300w panel. I’ll probably swap the Jaboni controller for a Victron. I’m also planning on removing the stock 1000w inverter and replacing it with a Victron as well.

95% of our camping is boondocking.
    2022 Momentum 21G with factory 300w solar and generator
    2022 F-350 Lariat 6.7 PSD
    x2 206ah SOK LiFePO4 batteries

The stock converter/charge will not be Lithium compatible , you will need to change this out for one that is.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks that’s what I assumed. I’m looking to pull it and the 1000w inverter and replace both with a Victron multiplus 2000va inverter/charger. Has anyone made this swap in a 21G? I’d love to see where you mounted it!

Comment

Originally posted by NickinCO View Post
        Thanks that’s what I assumed. I’m looking to pull it and the 1000w inverter and replace both with a Victron multiplus 2000va inverter/charger. Has anyone made this swap in a 21G? I’d love to see where you mounted it!
        Have you found the Modification list yet? Look in the Modifications channel and the first sticky has an embedded excel spreadsheet. There's many mods listed there--you just might find something applicable.

If not, please share what you do with us. Start your own thread and document the conversion. It's the sharing of information that makes an owner's forum powerful!

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

NickinCO -- also, check out the Welcome Letter to New Members here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
            NickinCO -- also, check out the Welcome Letter to New Members here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
            Thanks, I’m still in the research stages but have a general idea what I want. I’ve reached out to GD for an electrical diagram that hopefully they will provide. As soon as I have the info I need I will make a new post here highlighting my build with more questions.

Comment

NickinCO we have a 21G and will be installing lithium. inverter, etc in February or March. The area under the master closet (where the current inverter sits) will be where the new equipment is installed. It looks to be tight, but I think it will all fit.

Batteries will go at the bottom of the exterior storage space. This is convenient because the wire lengths between batteries, inverter, solar charge controllers, shunt...will all be less than 3'.

There is a heating duct that goes to the master bed under the closet that will likely be relocated. A lot of rewiring to be done.

If you do this, please post your successes and challenges for us all to learn.
              Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Thanks, I’m still in the research stages but have a general idea what I want. I’ve reached out to GD for an electrical diagram that hopefully they will provide. As soon as I have the info I need I will make a new post here highlighting my build with more questions.
                Sorry, but you won't get a diagram in the detail you'll desire. You're not the first or the last that will be highly disappointed with the "plan" GD will provide. Frankly, it won't be helpful.

Reading your first post again, the inverter doesn't have a charging profile to change. (Did you mean converter?) Brian already answered that question. If you're going with a Victron Multiplus, you'll have both an inverter and a lithium-capable charger. A 2,000 watt inverter will work, but a 3,000W Multiplus would be a perfect for your 30A camper.

A DC-DC Charger is something you might want to consider. I find it a fantastic system to enable a 100% battery charge upon arrival at a boondocking site. Check out https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...e-battle-borns

Yoda is currently knee-deep in his own project, and ncitro has also completed this project. Highly recommended.

Howard

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post
                  NickinCO we have a 21G and will be installing lithium. inverter, etc in February or March. The area under the master closet (where the current inverter sits) will be where the new equipment is installed. It looks to be tight, but I think it will all fit.

Batteries will go at the bottom of the exterior storage space. This is convenient because the wire lengths between batteries, inverter, solar charge controllers, shunt...will all be less than 3'.

There is a heating duct that goes to the master bed under the closet that will likely be relocated. A lot of rewiring to be done.

If you do this, please post your successes and challenges for us all to learn.
                  The rewiring is what I’m looking forward to the least. Taking some quick measurements I think they heating duct is fine as-is it I mount the multiplus 3000 on the left wall within that cubby. It looks like it will sit right against that heating vent. (Maybe with a little insulation next to it). The inverter/charger is new to me as I never had one in my van. From what I understand this would allow me to remove the 1000w inverter, the converter (in the dresser in the master), and the switching device. The only part I’m unsure about is running the wiring for the converter and removing the old one.

In another post in the solar forum I’m considering leaving factory solar controller and its wiring and swapping panels to something smaller to power only the FLA battery on the tongue which would power only the generator start up and power Jack. Then using the 300w jamboni panel x2 wired to a separate Victron 100/50 controller for the house batteries coming directly down from the ceiling in that exterior storage.

Speaking of house batteries battleborn seems to have a pretty good deal on their blemish gamechanger’s. X2 270aH batteries, the multiplus 3000, and victron monitor for $4300. Only slightly more than the x2 206aH SOK’s I was initially considering.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Sorry, but you won't get a diagram in the detail you'll desire. You're not the first or the last that will be highly disappointed with the "plan" GD will provide. Frankly, it won't be helpful.

Reading your first post again, the inverter doesn't have a charging profile to change. (Did you mean converter?) Brian already answered that question. If you're going with a Victron Multiplus, you'll have both an inverter and a lithium-capable charger. A 2,000 watt inverter will work, but a 3,000W Multiplus would be a perfect for your 30A camper.

A DC-DC Charger is something you might want to consider. I find it a fantastic system to enable a 100% battery charge upon arrival at a boondocking site. Check out https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...e-battle-borns

Yoda is currently knee-deep in his own project, and ncitro has also completed this project. Highly recommended.

Howard
                    Absolutely recommend the DC to DC charger. I've helped a few people with installs since I did mine and I'm to the point that if you're going to be moving with any regularity (as opposed to stationary boondocking for several days at a time) I'd recommend it ahead of solar. Particularly living in the upper Midwest I encounter so much rain and angled sun that the additional charging while driving means stop overs at Walmarts or Cracker Barrels on rainy drive days rather than having to pay for a campground to recharge.

Don't get me wrong I've got 1,200 watts of solar too, but the charger has been a great addition.

Neil Citro
                    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Absolutely recommend the DC to DC charger. I've helped a few people with installs since I did mine and I'm to the point that if you're going to be moving with any regularity (as opposed to stationary boondocking for several days at a time) I'd recommend it ahead of solar. Particularly living in the upper Midwest I encounter so much rain and angled sun that the additional charging while driving means stop overs at Walmarts or Cracker Barrels on rainy drive days rather than having to pay for a campground to recharge.

Don't get me wrong I've got 1,200 watts of solar too, but the charger has been a great addition.
                      I had 300w of renogy eclipse panels on my van in addition to a Sterling Dc to DC 60A charger. It’s something I will definitely add in the future but I want to figure out my battery size first. My truck has a 397A alternator so I very well may run a 120A DC to DC charger depending on my bank size.

I’m trying to figure out how I can still run the Generator when necessary while using lithium batteries. The Cumins Onan 4000 that I have states it needs a minimum of 460 cold crank amps at 32*f. Even the battleborns only provide 200A for 30 seconds.

Comment

I’m thinking about this setup which is only $600 more than two SOK 206’s with the same inverter but would yield me an extra 140aH. At that point do I really need the generator though? Space is a rare commodity in the 21G… Maybe I should pull and sell the generator.

Comment

The rewiring is what I’m looking forward to the least. Taking some quick measurements I think they heating duct is fine as-is it I mount the multiplus 3000 on the left wall within that cubby. It looks like it will sit right against that heating vent. (Maybe with a little insulation next to it). The inverter/charger is new to me as I never had one in my van. From what I understand this would allow me to remove the 1000w inverter, the converter (in the dresser in the master), and the switching device. The only part I’m unsure about is running the wiring for the converter and removing the old one.

In another post in the solar forum I’m considering leaving factory solar controller and its wiring and swapping panels to something smaller to power only the FLA battery on the tongue which would power only the generator start up and power Jack. Then using the 300w jamboni panel x2 wired to a separate Victron 100/50 controller for the house batteries coming directly down from the ceiling in that exterior storage.

Speaking of house batteries battleborn seems to have a pretty good deal on their blemish gamechanger’s. X2 270aH batteries, the multiplus 3000, and victron monitor for $4300. Only slightly more than the x2 206aH SOK’s I was initially considering.
                          With the Victron inverter/charger do you really need a converter? In my opinion, the best way to wire the multiplus is to take your 30amp AC shore power/generator supply directly into the multiplus. This setup will power the entire RV on the inverter. (You will have to decide what to do about the subpanel). With this setup, when connected to shore power/generator power the inverter will keep the batteries charged which will power all DC loads. When not connected to shore power/generator power the converter would not be used anyway. If you have a large enough battery bank, I'm not sure a converter is really needed. You could then just remove the 1000W inverter, transfer switch, charger and converter (I would remove the subpanel and just wire the line from the subpanel into the main AC panel if you remove the transfer switch). Makes more room for your new equipment.

The factory converter is wired into the main panel. Simply disconnect the converter from the panel.

I still think keeping the tongue battery for just the generator and the tongue jack is more trouble than it's worth. It's a cool concept, but more complicated than it needs to be. You'll have to have a dedicated panel just for a dedicated charge controller just for the dedicated battery. Then you'll need a separate DC panel just for this setup...and you'll have to disconnect the generator and tongue jack from current main panel.

With the multiplus you will have power assist meaning you can have shore power or generator power and assist with battery bank when needed.

The Battleborn deal looks good to me. Great batteries and a very nice battery bank.

As far as solar charge controllers, assuming two 300W panels and depending on what the lowest temp you are expecting, you could be seeing as much as 60 amps out of the charge controller which would require the 150/70 charge controller.

Also, I would recommend an automatic transfer switch between shore power and the generator before the main line goes into the multiplus.
                          Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post

With the Victron inverter/charger do you really need a converter? In my opinion, the best way to wire the multiplus is to take your 30amp AC shore power/generator supply directly into the multiplus. This setup will power the entire RV on the inverter. (You will have to decide what to do about the subpanel). With this setup, when connected to shore power/generator power the inverter will keep the batteries charged which will power all DC loads. When not connected to shore power/generator power the converter would not be used anyway. If you have a large enough battery bank, I'm not sure a converter is really needed. You could then just remove the 1000W inverter, transfer switch, charger and converter (I would remove the subpanel and just wire the line from the subpanel into the main AC panel if you remove the transfer switch). Makes more room for your new equipment.

The factory converter is wired into the main panel. Simply disconnect the converter from the panel.

I still think keeping the tongue battery for just the generator and the tongue jack is more trouble than it's worth. It's a cool concept, but more complicated than it needs to be. You'll have to have a dedicated panel just for a dedicated charge controller just for the dedicated battery. Then you'll need a separate DC panel just for this setup...and you'll have to disconnect the generator and tongue jack from current main panel.

With the multiplus you will have power assist meaning you can have shore power or generator power and assist with battery bank when needed.

The Battleborn deal looks good to me. Great batteries and a very nice battery bank.

As far as solar charge controllers, assuming two 300W panels and depending on what the lowest temp you are expecting, you could be seeing as much as 60 amps out of the charge controller which would require the 150/70 charge controller.

Also, I would recommend an automatic transfer switch between shore power and the generator before the main line goes into the multiplus.
                            Thanks for that! You wouldn’t happen to have a wiring diagram that shows this would you? That is exactly my plan and I will get around to putting one together but the last few days I have a brand new 3 month old baby boy attached to me while mom is at work. I’m a firefighter by trade and go to work for 48 hours at a time. I need to get back to work so I can get some of this done 🤣🤣🤣

Comment

Can anyone tell me what charger/converter comes standard in the 21G? Or at least if it’s a single stage vs “smart” charger?

Comment

Working...
                              X