Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Load Chart & Wiring Diagram/One-Line

Hi There!

I'm new here We take delivery of our Reflection 31MB next week. Been RVing for a couple of years. This is our first Grand Design though. Super excited!

We do a lot of boondocking, in the woods and in ski-resort parking lots. I doubt that my Predator 3500W generator is gonna cut the mustard (unless someone here can tell me I'm wrong... which would make me one happy camper!). Before I parallel a gen-set for the fifth-wheel, I was wondering if it's possible to get a load chart for a specific model? A list of each electrical load and their respective rating. A wiring diagram would be really useful too. My VIN is in my profile.

I've worked in the electric utility industry for over fifteen years; in engineering and in the tools. I'm not an expert with low voltage (<12kV) equipment, but I know enough to get myself into trouble. Theoretically, it's all the same. Anyway, I wanted to explore some options before I commit to a second generator. But I need to know what I'm working with first. Any help would be MUCH appreciated, and if I'm posting something that's already been addressed, please feel free to take this down. I've been searching here for hours and it looks like, for the wiring one-lines anyway, it's something that folks here have had success with via the forum.

Thanks for taking the time to look this over!
    Phil & Jenn | North Central WA
    2022 Reflection, 31MB (Pkg's: Power, Arctic, 2nd AC, Solar)
    2021 F350 Tremor, 6.7L Diesel, SRW

No reason a 3500W generator can’t run the rig in cold weather. Anything that can run on propane will reduce the load. The air conditioner and microwave are the big loads.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

We boondock with a 2000w Honda. We'd be spoiled with 3500w. You're not going to run 2 A/C's at the same time but will handle one no problem, and in the cold the furnace is sucking propane, not electricity
      Up here we called you >12kV people VAR-Heads...lol I was a milli-watt. PLC's etc plus anything under 4160v.
      Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 11-26-2021, 11:21 AM. Reason: Spelling....
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by NCW_Wander View Post
        I'm new here We take delivery of our Reflection 31MB next week.
        Phil (and Jenn),
        Welcome to Grand Design's (Technical) Owner's Forum. I suspect you've already read the Welcome Letter, so thanks in advance for doing your "homework" prior to the your first post.

I was wondering if it's possible to get a load chart for a specific model? A list of each electrical load and their respective rating.
        In the Reflection Owner's manual (there's a link at the top of this page to GD's website where you can get an electronic version) there's a list of Approximate Electrical Load Ratings. Should be similar to what is posted below (from the '21 Owner's Manual).

Click image for larger version

Name:	load.JPG
Views:	740
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	70942

A wiring diagram would be really useful too.
        You and the other 100,000+ GD owners agree, but GD does not have them--at least nobody has every seen one. They do have a "Plan" drawing but frankly it is useless. Consider creating your own drawing of the trailer's outlets and power distribution. Below is what I did when mine was relatively new.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Outlet to CB OEM.JPG
Views:	702
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	70943

I doubt that my Predator 3500W generator is gonna cut the mustard (unless someone here can tell me I'm wrong... which would make me one happy camper!).
        3500W = 29 amps @ 120V. Run the water heater on propane. Manage power usage from there and you'll be fine with the Predator IMO. Use some of that storage space in your 31MB to install a Victron Multiplus II Inverter and ~400aH of LifePO4 batteries and you'll be very happy with that Predator!

If that last sentence has you curious, check out the Modifications channel. There's a list of mods (covering many aspects of our trailers) that owners here have done, including electrical upgrades.

Hope some of this is helpful.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I am surprised to see 90+ amps for levelling?
          And I'm curious what a step cover is seeing as it is a 10amp thing-a-ma-bob.
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

We boondock with an Onan 4500 so can run the A/C units. But the main reason I run the gennie is to charge the batteries as I have not installed solar. For ski season boondocking it's going to be more about running the furnace than anything else. I have two 6volt golf cart batteries, I need to run the generator for about an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. But my boondock temps only dip into the low 40's. My two 6v's will dip down to around 11.6v running the furnace set at 70f. I know I don't have enough battery for serious boondocking, but then we only boondock maybe twice a year for 3-4 days.

When the temps are outside of the 40-70 range (either high or low) we don't boondock. Minimal heat and no A/C. I suspect I could easily boondock "my way" with just a Honda 1000.
            2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
            2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
            E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
            Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

The 90 amps for leveling is probably the sum of all motor ratings in an electrical system. All motors do not run at the same time. At most 2 will be running at the same time.

For a hydraulic system peak startup amps may be 70, running current will be 30 to 50.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

This is GREAT info everyone! Thank you so much! We didn't realize that we'd be joining a community when we pulled the trigger on a GD. Looking forward to being a part of it though!

Howson, VERY helpful stuff!!! The approximate load form is exactly what I'm looking for. I really appreciate the detailed explanation. It takes some time to get familiarized with all of the resources out there. You definitely got my ears perked talking about potential mods. I did read all of intro's, and searched for a while before posting. I was hesitant to start really digging into some of the discussions on inverters, batteries, and soft-starts until I had a better idea of what kind of load I'm working with. Sounds like I've definitely got some research ahead of me. Again, MUCH appreciated!

Scott'n'Wendy, you made me laugh. I've been called a lot of things, but VAR-head isn't one of them. The shoe definitely fits though!

Thanks again everyone! Looking forward to digging into more posts on here and seeing what you've all done with your trailers!
                Phil & Jenn | North Central WA
                2022 Reflection, 31MB (Pkg's: Power, Arctic, 2nd AC, Solar)
                2021 F350 Tremor, 6.7L Diesel, SRW

Comment

All great info where Howard's chart is really nice. Much more detail than the one I have in my owners manual. We boondock in the early spring and late fall where the furnace as Dallas has stated is key. Energy storage is what makes boondocking so pleasurable where a lithium conversion (even just one battery) makes an enormous improvement since the lithium battery will absorb 50amps (half capacity) while charging with a lithium capable converter. Keeping the lithium battery inside or in a semi-heated pass-through is also key to efficient energy storage and battery longevity. As far as other AC appliances, a 3500 watt generator will provide plenty of power. We run our 3400 watt inverter generator 45 minutes each morning to operate a coffee pot where the single LiFeP04 lithium battery will be fully charged from running the furnace and lights over the previous 24hrs.

If you add in more AC appliances while boondocking, an inverter or additional batteries will be needed depending on demand. We are adding a small inverter to operate the TV and DVD while on battery power for those rainy days. We enjoy the efficiency and simplicity of this system.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                  X