No announcement yet.

Inverter, Transfer Switch, and Breaker Panel Modifications - Unique Solutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter, Transfer Switch, and Breaker Panel Modifications - Unique Solutions

One of my projects this Autumn was to design a method to switch between shore power and the inverter with very limited space. In addition, I wanted the converter/charger to only be energized on shore power. Rob (Cate & Rob) was a big help with the transfer switch solution due to his background in boating. And I came up with a very unique way to power the converter charger on shore power while having it turned off on inverter power. This same solution may be possible with more conventional switching methods such as an automatic transfer switch.

Jim
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 05-09-2021, 02:34 PM.
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Cool! You never cease to amaze me!
    Paul and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

BTW, one thing I discovered was that the labels GDRV used in my breaker panel in no way reflected how the system was wired. I performed a complete power audit of the electrical system and relabeled all the breakers with the correct information. I'd suggest ya'll do the same.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Very nice install and write-up, Jim
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

TucsonJim. Excellent write-up Jim. I am looking to mirror your approach. However, I noticed the Blue Sea states "A double pole circuit breaker must be installed within 10 feet of the shore power inlet, ahead of this switch." I'm curious if you routed the shore power directly to the switch or added a new circuit breaker between the shower inlet and the switch? Thanks!
          Last edited by cdixon24; 10-21-2021, 10:05 AM.

Comment

TucsonJim

Jim,
            I bought the Blue Sea manual switch because I like the idea and reliability of switching manually. On your write up, it appears you connected the the hot feed from switch to converter to slot "11" rather than "10' or "12".
            Is there a reason for this, vs 10 or 12, or am I misreading the diagram. When I tested continuity on the switch, it seems slot 12 would work as it is unused and I would not have to stack 2 lines in slot 11.
            Thoughts?

Thanks,
            Erik
            Erik & Tea
            2021 Reflection 297RSTS
            2005 Ford Excursion 6L diesel
            ProPride hitch

Comment

Incoming power on slot 11 is switched to 10/12. So when the switch is off there should be no continuity between 10/12 and 11.

I believe when the switch is in the other position it connects slot 9 to 10/12.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Popga View Post
                TucsonJim

Jim,
                I bought the Blue Sea manual switch because I like the idea and reliability of switching manually. On your write up, it appears you connected the the hot feed from switch to converter to slot "11" rather than "10' or "12".
                Is there a reason for this, vs 10 or 12, or am I misreading the diagram. When I tested continuity on the switch, it seems slot 12 would work as it is unused and I would not have to stack 2 lines in slot 11.
                Thoughts?

Thanks,
                Erik
                Hi Eric. The blue wire coming off of 11 is to provide power to the modified breaker panel. When plugged into shore power, this provides power to the breaker that supplies the converter. In addition, L1 power goes into 11 and out to the rest of the breaker panel via pin 10.

When disconnected from shore power and switched to inverter, L1 power comes in on 9, and out through 10. Since pin 11 is now out of the loop, no power goes to the modified breaker panel which is supplying power to the converter.

If you run the converter wire out of 10 or 12, then there would be power to the converter no matter if the switch was on shore power or inverter power. You don't want the converter powered when using the inverter.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Hi Eric. The blue wire coming off of 11 is to provide power to the modified breaker panel. When plugged into shore power, this provides power to the breaker that supplies the converter. In addition, L1 power goes into 11 and out to the rest of the breaker panel via pin 10.

When disconnected from shore power and switched to inverter, L1 power comes in on 9, and out through 10. Since pin 11 is now out of the loop, no power goes to the modified breaker panel which is supplying power to the converter.

If you run the converter wire out of 10 or 12, then there would be power to the converter no matter if the switch was on shore power or inverter power. You don't want the converter powered when using the inverter.

Jim
                  OK! Thanks. Just to confirm then, the line (blue) to the modified breaker for converter is stacked with the incoming shore power "line 1" on space "11"...?

Erik
                  Erik & Tea
                  2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                  ProPride hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                    Incoming power on slot 11 is switched to 10/12. So when the switch is off there should be no continuity between 10/12 and 11.

Ahhhh. I think 9 to 10/12 is the only continuity I did not check

Thanks,
                    Erik
                    Erik & Tea
                    2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                    ProPride hitch

Comment

TucsonJim

Jlawles2

howson

Jim, another question on your wiring. I currently have 2 100Ah Battleborns tongue mounted like you did. I ran 2/0 wire (- to shunt and + to bus bar, both mounted in area underneath where you did yours).
                      I am running both lines into passthrough where my inverter, MPPT, and DC-DC charger will be mounted. Total length from battery to switch, fuse and busbar in passthrough is approx 12' one-way. 2/0 still big enough for that run?

Thanks,
                      Erik
                      Erik & Tea
                      2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                      ProPride hitch

Comment

Popga - I used the attached calculator with the following inputs:

System Voltage - 12V
                        Allowable Voltage Drop - 5%
                        Conductor material - Copper
                        Current - 175 amps (Note: I used 2000 watts/12V = 166 amps)
                        One way distance - 12 feet
                        Max wire temperature - 150°F

Result: 2/0 wire

Hoyos, L. DC Wire Size Calculator. Available at: https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/dc-wire-size.

Jim
                        Jim and Ginnie
                        2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by Popga View Post

OK! Thanks. Just to confirm then, the line (blue) to the modified breaker for converter is stacked with the incoming shore power "line 1" on space "11"...?

Erik
                          That is correct.

Jim
                          Jim and Ginnie
                          2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                            Popga - I used the attached calculator with the following inputs:

System Voltage - 12V
                            Allowable Voltage Drop - 5%
                            Conductor material - Copper
                            Current - 175 amps (Note: I used 2000 watts/12V = 166 amps)
                            One way distance - 12 feet
                            Max wire temperature - 150°F

Result: 2/0 wire

Hoyos, L. DC Wire Size Calculator. Available at: https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/dc-wire-size.

Jim
                            Thank you for the info and the link to the wire size calculator! I'll be sure to save that sight....

Erik
                            Erik & Tea
                            2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                            ProPride hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post

Joseph,

I just confirmed that you are 100% correct about slot 9.

Thanks

Erik
                              Erik & Tea
                              2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                              ProPride hitch

Comment

Working...
                              X