Power has stopped to slide outs but can't find where

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power has stopped to slide outs but can't find where

We just bought a 2021 Momentum 381M. Everything was working fine. While getting to know it, I turned on the vacuum and it tripped something somewhere. Now I don't have 120v power to my slideouts (except for microwave which has its own circuit). In the breaker panel, all circuits are good to go. I also turned them all off and back on to be sure they weren't tripped.

My Refer, gas stove starting (on one slideout) and my super long sofa (on the other slideout) don't have power. I'm trying to trace the circuits, but it's not exactly a quick process. Any help would be appreciated.

pentay

​​​​​​Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

There will be one GFCI outlet with the push button reset. The other GFCI outlets are "downstream" of this outlet and protected by it. The outlet with the reset button is usually somewhere near the main panel. Perhaps on the island or in the bathroom.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Have you checked the breaker on the power pedestal?
      John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

IIRC some people have found a hidden sub breaker panel under one of the stairs (yes stupid place). Also check to see if you are on 50 amp service that you did not accidentally trip 1 of the 2 legs or that you have a bad connection in the power cable.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by pentay View Post
          We just bought a 2021 Momentum 381M. Everything was working fine. While getting to know it, I turned on the vacuum and it tripped something somewhere. Now I don't have 120v power to my slideouts (except for microwave which has its own circuit). In the breaker panel, all circuits are good to go. I also turned them all off and back on to be sure they weren't tripped.

My Refer, gas stove starting (on one slideout) and my super long sofa (on the other slideout) don't have power. I'm trying to trace the circuits, but it's not exactly a quick process. Any help would be appreciated.
          MY guess after looking at your floor plan you will find the main GFIC receptacle in the main bath (central location to slides, etc). It may be hard to see mounted under a cabinet over the bath counter. In my unit 220RK it is mounted on the wall in the bath. They are usually black in color.

Hope this helps
          Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I have looked at all my GFCIs. There's 3 that I've found. One at the washer/dryer prep, one on the wall by the microwave, and the one in the main bathroom. Pushing the W/D GFCI cancels out power to the garage area. Pushing the one in the main bathroom cancels out all over. The GFCI by the microwave won't reset (has no power). At my main power panel, there is a circuit labeled "sub-panel power". I found a panel behind the fifth wheel stairs accessible from the outside storage. There is a panel covering it.

Comment

I have looked at all my GFCIs. There's 3 that I've found. One at the washer/dryer prep, one on the wall by the microwave, and the one in the main bathroom. Pushing the W/D GFCI cancels out power to the garage area. Pushing the one in the main bathroom cancels out all over. The GFCI by the microwave won't reset (has no power). At my main power panel, there is a circuit labeled "sub-panel power". I found a panel behind the fifth wheel stairs accessible from the outside storage. There is a panel covering it.
              Did the vacuum trip the breaker in the sub panel that you found?

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I did not remove the cover of the supposed sub-panel and check, because the outlet that the built-in vacuum was plugged into has power. When I plugged my electrical tester in it, it shows a hot/ground reversed. The refer plug (which is the same type of the vac plug) also shows hot/ground reversed and has power. I think there's a plug of some sort for the range (for the spark lighting) which I cannot get to, then there's the GFCI under the microwave which has no power. Not sure if that's how the circuit runs, but it's suspect.
                However, I will be removing the 'sub-panel' to confirm that's what it is and that nothing's been tripped there.

Comment

I did not remove the cover of the supposed sub-panel and check, because the outlet that the built-in vacuum was plugged into has power. When I plugged my electrical tester in it, it shows a hot/ground reversed. The refer plug (which is the same type of the vac plug) also shows hot/ground reversed and has power. I think there's a plug of some sort for the range (for the spark lighting) which I cannot get to, then there's the GFCI under the microwave which has no power. Not sure if that's how the circuit runs, but it's suspect.
                  However, I will be removing the 'sub-panel' to confirm that's what it is and that nothing's been tripped there.
                  The campground pedestal may have a standard outlet on it. Might want to double-check that it is wired correctly with your tester. (I'd disconnect the camper from the pedestal, first, then do the check with the tester.)
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The outlets in these RV's are not the best , in my opinion. They are a type of which the wires are forced down into "knife" type connectors that cut thru the plastic insulation around the wire to make contact. I had found one in our RV, in the first few months, that was not making a proper contact and lost power to one side of the RV. This may be the problem or part of the problem in which you are finding a hot/ground, if the shore power pedestal is correctly wired. I know that you are being cautious but I have to request that you disconnect power when checking these items.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thank you everyone for your comments. As Country Campers said, it was an outlet issue.

In solving this issue, I learned the following:
                      1) The black panel under the stairs is not the sub-panel, it was the EMS.

2) The sub-panel (metal box) was hidden further back, hidden by the built in vacuum hose and under the first step. It's accessible from inside the RV by removing the first step (has screws instead of glued down). Holes were drilled in the top of the step base so the sub-panel could be accessed.

3) Three circuits came off the subpanel:
                      (a) The GFI (not GFCI)
                      (b) A 'General" circuit which turned out to be the normal outlets panel (bathroom GFCI, TV outlet, etc) but NOT the outlets in the two slideouts.
                      (c) A 'Refer" circuit which connected to the knife-outlet then two circuits ran out to each slide out.

The issue is that the knife-outlet could handle one in & one out circuit, but once they added the second circuit, proper contact wasn't happening and would short reversing the hot/ground. We are waiting for the mobile RV repair to make the warranty claim and install a more capable box. In the meantime, we have one slide out circuit plugged in (the lounge side--heated vibrating seats for my wife, outside TV for me) since the Refer runs off gas and we can manually light the stove.

I hope this may help someone in the future.

Comment

Glad to hear you found the issue. Also nice to know where these items are located. I am not sure about the EMS though, these are not factory installed.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                        X