50A In Camper Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50A In Camper Monitor

Been working on this plan in my head for a while, especially after a connection issue caused me to loose 1 leg of the 50A service. NOTE THE GAUGES NEED TO BE GLUED IN PLACE, THEY ARE SIMPLY STUCK INTO THE HOLES.

I remember a conversation a while back where the amp meter was giving an accurate measurement of power usage at 1 campground, but not another, which also added to the idea.

Ordered 3 inexpensive volt meters from amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 good voltage swing so should not be an issue.

Click image for larger version  Name:	volt.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.8 KB ID:	74439

Green and Yellow measure line to neutral, red measures Line to Line. If red does not display, that would mean the 2 lines are the same. If either the Green or Yellow is not at reading then there is an issue with one of the feeds.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Wiring.jpg Views:	15 Size:	51.4 KB ID:	74440 .
    Last edited by howson; 01-14-2022, 06:21 PM.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Hi Joseph,

You just added a project to my list !
    I had an idea to do something like this, but not nearly as easy as three voltmeters that fit into round holes . . . very clever execution!

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
      Been working on this plan in my head for a while, especially after a connection issue caused me to loose 1 leg of the 50A service... .
      Good thing I only have a 30A service Pretty cool.
      Last edited by howson; 01-14-2022, 06:23 PM.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Green and Yellow measure line to neutral, red measures Line to Line. If red does not display, that would mean the 2 lines are the same. If either the Green or Yellow is not at reading then there is an issue with one of the feeds..

Very clever. How far did you have to go to get the 120/240 volt connection point and what gauge wire to devices? I saw in the Amazon ad, the same displays are available in square shape, same price too.
        Last edited by howson; 01-14-2022, 06:23 PM.
        John and Karyn
        Hillsboro, Oregon
        2020 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

Comment

Very cool. Now my mind is thinking of a 50 amp plug with these three meters attached to it so one could plug it into the shore power post to check it before landing the RV into the site, I guess the meter I carry would do the job as well but would not be near as cool.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Alternatively, install a Progressive Industries surge protector/management system and/or a Victron Inverter and get the same info + a lot more including amps drawn on each leg and the frequency on each leg.
            Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
            2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
            2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

I have a Surge/EMS out at the post that can tell me this same information, but it can only see "upstream" . . . and the question becomes, is everything correct "downstream" through the cord and connectors? Several years back, we worked through a situation (Paul & Deb) where the EMS at the post indicated that everything was OK but a lost neutral between EMS and trailer cause various appliances to see high voltage and fail. Joseph's idea will tell me if the power is correct right at the RV breaker panel.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob I dropped a hot leg at the wall connector in a campground. After pulling the fireplace and crawling around under the slide, it occurred to me that everything on one leg of the power panel was not powered. That's when I figured out it was the 90 dogbone had a bad connection. Never had the same issue again, and now I immediately know what's wrong. Plus I can watch voltage swing between the legs.
                Joseph
                Tow
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Been working on this plan in my head for a while, especially after a connection issue caused me to loose 1 leg of the 50A service. NOTE THE GAUGES NEED TO BE GLUED IN PLACE, THEY ARE SIMPLY STUCK INTO THE HOLES.

I remember a conversation a while back where the amp meter was giving an accurate measurement of power usage at 1 campground, but not another, which also added to the idea.

Ordered 3 inexpensive volt meters from amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 good voltage swing so should not be an issue.

Click image for larger version Name:	volt.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.8 KB ID:	74439

Green and Yellow measure line to neutral, red measures Line to Line. If red does not display, that would mean the 2 lines are the same. If either the Green or Yellow is not at reading then there is an issue with one of the feeds.

Click image for larger version Name:	Wiring.jpg Views:	15 Size:	51.4 KB ID:	74440 .
                  Nice idea to work on

Comment

[USER="5"] That's when I figured out it was the 90 dogbone had a bad connection.
                    My beloved dogbone is retired, same issue, poor connection on one leg. And then the transfer switch dropped a leg when we came off generator and went back to shore power. Once you have been through the dropped leg routine a couple of times you learn to recognize it pretty quickly. But your little dohickeys would make it a lot easier to observe and a lot easier to see leg voltage than walking outside to look at the EMS on the post.

Good job, thanks for sharing.
                    2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
                    2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
                    E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
                    Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Goodwrench View Post

Very clever. How far did you have to go to get the 120/240 volt connection point and what gauge wire to devices? I saw in the Amazon ad, the same displays are available in square shape, same price too.
                      Just noticed your question. In the 303 the nerve center is directly above the power center. I think the total length of each wire was about 9'. The wire leaves the back of the meters, goes toward the cap about 18" then turns down the hollow wall (holes already present with wires in them) for about 5' then turns toward the back and into the power center.

The Neutral was tied into the bus bar, and then the 2 hots were tied into two of the breakers (you will need to know if you have an ABABAB or AAABBB style).

I think I used 20 gauge or 26 gauge interconnect wire. The only thing on the wire is the meters. No real amperage running through it.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                      X