Inverter Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter Questions

I am pondering installing an Inverter, this one is what I have my eye on Amazon.com: Renogy 2000W Pure Sine Wave Inverter. What I am looking to power is the small outside fridge,tv, coffee pot, laptop charger. I am thinking that I do not need one quite this big but would rather have a little too big than just big enough.

Is this a good one or are there better?, cost is a factor here.

It comes with 2 4 ga wires to connect to the battery, is this big enough wire or should I use bigger?

I have the 2 Lion energy 105 ah batteries, is this bank big enough? I know this depends on usage but usage will be slim, mostly the coffee pot in the morning and a little tv in the evening.

Does there need to be a fuse somewhere in this system? How big?

What size wire would I use from the Inverter to the breaker panel, about 10' distance.

Does there need to be a disconnect between the battery and the inverter?

The Inverter talk is new to me so be gentle, trying to learn.

I know some might say the Multiplus is the way I should have gone but I like separate items and I am not totally going down the rabbit hole of this just dipping my little piggies in a little bit.

Plenty of posts on systems installed that I have read and looked at but this has also raised these questions.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

A coffee pot is a poor choice on an inverter. A French press will save you a lot of power and let you downsize the inverter which saves the waste of power while it’s at idle.

John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      Renogy 2000W Pure Sine Wave Inverter: What I am looking to power is the small outside fridge,tv, coffee pot, laptop charger. I am thinking that I do not need one quite this big but would rather have a little too big than just big enough. Is this a good one or are there better?, cost is a factor here.
      This is the same inverter klwagner52 used in his 28BH. I've been pleased with the Renogy products I've purchased. I will say the Renogy inverter manual is... not the best. (I'm being kind.)

In this price category and rating, Will Prowse recommends the GoWISE Power 2000W. There is a newer version, model PS1009. The manual is at this link: https://images.thdstatic.com/catalog...b9a92001fe.pdf The manual answers a lot of your questions (cable size, etc).

I have no personal experience with the product (you know I'm a Victron fanboy).

One caveat: I am not a fan of wiring an inverter with GFCI outlets into a camper's wiring (especially if the inverter's power is going to go into another GFCI circuit). I can't defend this statement with a chapter and verse reference, but I think an inverter with a standard outlet is meant to have the load directly connected to it, not be wired into a wiring circuit.

It comes with 2 4 ga wires to connect to the battery, is this big enough wire or should I use bigger?
      According to the GoWise's manual, the answer is "no". For a 2000W inverter, they recommend 0# no longer than 6'. (See page 15 in the GoWise manual.)

I have the 2 Lion energy 105 ah batteries, is this bank big enough? I know this depends on usage but usage will be slim, mostly the coffee pot in the morning and a little tv in the evening.
      The better question is, Can my two Lion batteries run the 2000W inverter at it's full potential? The answer is "yes". The inverter will sustain an output of 2000W, which is ~17 amps of 120vAC. Using the rule of 10, that means the batteries must supply 170 amps of 12vDC. Each of the Lion batteries should be able to sustain an output of 100 amps of 12vDC, so with two in parallel that's 200 amps. (Only for an hour at that rate, but it can do it.) Short answer: good combination of batteries and inverter.

How long will the two batteries last? The only viable answer is "it depends". It's like someone asking how long their water will last while boondocking. How much water will be used? Will any be water be added and if so, how much? Those questions are just as applicable to the battery bank.

A battery monitor, like the Victron BMV-712 or the SmartShunt, will give you the ability to monitor usage in real time (and view on your phone if within bluetooth range).

Absolutely yes. On the positive wire between the battery and inverter. The GoWise manual, page 15 states a 300A ANL fuse.

"Need"? To me that translates to "a requirement by code xyz". To my knowledge there's no requirement. Is it a good idea? Heck yes. The amperage potential coming from your batteries is tremendous--having a manual way of safely disconnecting when messing with the inverter is well worth the small expense IMO.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi Brian,

I do have some experience with inverters (unlike solar systems LOL!) I evolved through various inverters on my boat and have an "occasional use" one on the RV. Summing what I have learned . . .
        1) Oversize the inverter. They work a lot better at 50% capacity rather than close to rated capacity.
        2) Oversize the wiring and keep it short. A startup surge through nominally OK wires will drop the voltage at the inverter enough to kick it out.
        3) Wiring of this ampacity needs a dedicated fuse and appropriate switch.
        4) Wiring on the 120V side will likely be handling less than 15A per run, so regular 14 ga should be fine.
        5) The closer you get to a pure sine wave, the more expensive the inverter gets. For resistive loads (coffee maker) you don't need this. I am not sure about the TV.

Rob
        Attached Files
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I am pondering installing an Inverter, this one is what I have my eye on Amazon.com: Renogy 2000W Pure Sine Wave Inverter. What I am looking to power is the small outside fridge,tv, coffee pot, laptop charger. I am thinking that I do not need one quite this big but would rather have a little too big than just big enough.

Is this a good one or are there better?, cost is a factor here.

What size wire would I use from the Inverter to the breaker panel, about 10' distance.

The Inverter talk is new to me so be gentle, trying to learn.

I know some might say the Multiplus is the way I should have gone but I like separate items and I am not totally going down the rabbit hole of this just dipping my little piggies in a little bit.

Plenty of posts on systems installed that I have read and looked at but this has also raised these questions.

Brian
          I went down the rabbit hole your talking about and ended up with the Multiplus. Same uses as you. Any chance you will use the microwave while watching TV? If yes you may need to up to close to 3000W. The Multiplus I have is rated slightly less than that, but has the built in transfer switch. and lithium charger - fully programmable. You will need a disconnect switch so your existing converter/charger turns off when running the inverter. Do you have a lithium specific charger now? You may be light one battery, but I thinks it close. Also the wiring sounds light, but I am not the expert Is you unit a 30 or 50 amp service? If 50 it will be a bit different on the wiring to separate out the circuits. If 30 you can feed the whole trailer throgh the transfer switch, or set up a sub panel for just the circuits you want to run.

I am sure Howard howson will be along soon withe correct answers, Rob Cate&Rob can also help

On edit I see you two beat me to posting

Food for thought
          Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Country Campers it doesn't look like that inverter comes with a built in transfer switch. If you want the devices you listed running on shore power as well as inverter, you'll want an automatic transfer switch and an AC subpanel for the devices you listed. That way, when plugged into shore power, it will bypass the inverter and power the AC subpanel. When not plugged into shore power, the switch will switch back to the inverter to power the devices.....if that even makes any sense.
            Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Working...
            X